ask
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    .186 TELUS Official
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    B I know you have tested this out. The problem is that in the US on a locked VZW device you cannot pick up a GSM network. On Telus you might be able to but not VZW. SO perhaps that works with Telus customers but since my vzw device doesn't work on GSM not sure how your fix is relevant for VZW. All I know for sure is the Blackberry Storm GPS is fully unlocked on vzw
    npw you are talking and yes it does drain if you have location on all the time. Jlevy you are right about vzw. clear your pm its full and pm me i need something bro please

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bmerdinian View Post
    npw you are talking and yes it does drain if you have location on all the time. Jlevy you are right about vzw. clear your pm its full and pm me i need something bro please
    I deleted some PM's so it should be clear now. However, I will send you a PM.

tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Liked
    0 times
    Bottom line is this---it doesnt matter what network you are on when it comes to GPS -- I have an unlocked storm on tmobile and the gps works. Understand that Google Maps on the Storm is pretty new with working with the GPS. When Google Maps tells you you are within 1000 meters or 500 meters the GPS is not giving you your location --- your position is determined using cell phone towers or triangulation, which is why it isnt as accurate. If you GPS is not working -- make sure you are outside -- I have noticed that being in buildings and houses can easily restrict the GPS from working. Understand that the GPS unit in the storm isnt as powerful as say a Tom-Tom. On google maps just keep hitting the blue button on the lower right part of the screen, it will tell you if your GPS is not ready or working. If it still doesnt work and you are outside, try a reboot---if it still doesnt work, see if it will work with blackberry maps. If it doesnt then its probably just your location. There can be may factors contributing to your gps not working. Just understand that it has nothing to do with what network provider you have, think of you GPS as a loaner. Its on its own, its own entity. I am sure the next release of Google Maps with for the Storm will be much more consistent --- may Google will just wait for 5.0 to come out. Also, I have BBCrackman 7.2 installed which prevents BB Maps from working so I use Google Maps --- Google Maps is ten times better anyway. Just remember, the storms GPS isnt as powerful as a specifically GPS designed device --- its a smart phone, not a Tom Tom --- so manage your expectations.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!

Christian
    T-Mobile
    Unlocked BB Storm 9530
    BBCrackman V7.2 on 4.7.148 - .90 radio

"5.0 better hold a friggin EDGE connection, .90 radio is the king of re-boots!!!"

Fletchdude is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Fletchdude On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone have an opinion of what the best GPS is? One that actually reads off the Lat and Long, and not Degrees....
    If you don't have a Blackberry than your Last!!!

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletchdude View Post
    Anyone have an opinion of what the best GPS is? One that actually reads off the Lat and Long, and not Degrees....
    I am not quite sure Fletch. Let me do some research and get back to you

guanuck is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    GUIN
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tank244 View Post
    Bottom line is this---it doesnt matter what network you are on when it comes to GPS -- I have an unlocked storm on tmobile and the gps works. Understand that Google Maps on the Storm is pretty new with working with the GPS. When Google Maps tells you you are within 1000 meters or 500 meters the GPS is not giving you your location --- your position is determined using cell phone towers or triangulation, which is why it isnt as accurate. If you GPS is not working -- make sure you are outside -- I have noticed that being in buildings and houses can easily restrict the GPS from working. Understand that the GPS unit in the storm isnt as powerful as say a Tom-Tom. On google maps just keep hitting the blue button on the lower right part of the screen, it will tell you if your GPS is not ready or working. If it still doesnt work and you are outside, try a reboot---if it still doesnt work, see if it will work with blackberry maps. If it doesnt then its probably just your location. There can be may factors contributing to your gps not working. Just understand that it has nothing to do with what network provider you have, think of you GPS as a loaner. Its on its own, its own entity. I am sure the next release of Google Maps with for the Storm will be much more consistent --- may Google will just wait for 5.0 to come out. Also, I have BBCrackman 7.2 installed which prevents BB Maps from working so I use Google Maps --- Google Maps is ten times better anyway. Just remember, the storms GPS isnt as powerful as a specifically GPS designed device --- its a smart phone, not a Tom Tom --- so manage your expectations.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!

Christian
    T-Mobile
    Unlocked BB Storm 9530
    BBCrackman V7.2 on 4.7.148 - .90 radio

"5.0 better hold a friggin EDGE connection, .90 radio is the king of re-boots!!!"
    Makes total sense!!!!!!
    Have a Telus related question? Just ask!

jasonfyc is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted (storm 9530)

Another thing about location: Sometimes
    People forget what they have around them...
    Examples: Hanford, Area 51, different government
    Facilities.
    I work near Hanford in Washington state and
    Your lucky to get phone service let alone G.P.S.
    I know as I would travel East and get near a military
    Base or facility my G.P.S. Would go nuts. (in car not phone, phone also)
    When I get with in there radio air space, I
    Will have full signal(according to phone and gps)
    But no service. This may not help your situation but
    Its somethin to think about when your gettin
    Mad at your different devises.
    Ok, fact! For those you who said what the heck is
    Hanford and why would that be a big deal?
    Hanford is where they created the first nuclear
    Technology and made the first Atom bomb
    Dropped on Japan! They say they are tryin to
    Shut it down and are turning the nuclear waste
    Into glass isotopes which are then halled
    To New Mexico or other waste facilities around the
    Country where they are buried

Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Levy!! Im really into the GPS thing. It fascinates the hell outta me!!

mule0331 is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow mule0331 On Twitter
    PIN
    3102D902
    Device
    9550 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (Storm 9530)

Quote Originally Posted by burridge007
    So my girl and I both have storms. My storm is locked I am on the Telus network. GF is unlocked she is using it on Rogers. On the weekend we were testing google maps. My girls storm gps pointed exactly where she was. While mine gave me a radius of 500m. Is this because of the network or is it my device and I need to swap it? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
    I'm on VZW, and mine gives me my location to within 3 meters. It's got to be how you have the settings set.
    No matter where you go, there you are

tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by burridge007 View Post
    makes total sense!!!!!!
    word!

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    I just looked at some of the major GPS programs out there and it really doesn't say how they measure your location. So it hards to know whether any use Lat and Long as opposed to degrees. That being said, IMO, the two best paid GPS apps for the Storm are Garmin and Telenav. Both are very accurate and provide many useful features. As far as free apps go Google Maps is my favorite. Sorry couldn't be more detailed about the whole GPS thing. The companies really don't specifiy this info.

Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Thanks Lev!! Will stick with GM and maybe some day I will get my lat and lon..

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Wirelessly posted

Thanks Lev!! Will stick with GM and maybe some day I will get my lat and lon..
    I'm sure you will and of course if I see anything like what you are looking for will let you know.

painlessone is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    v.5.0.0.328 4.2.0.128
    Liked
    0 times
    GPS Logger will give you your location in longitude and latitude, along with elevation.
    They have a free download version you could try. http://www.emacberry.com Same link as File Scout.
    On Google maps, once you have the blue dot on your correct location, you can go BB Button/Help/ About info/Scroll down and where it says "Center:" you will see your current longitude and latitude. Hope that helps
    Last edited by Bryan; 07-06-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added link

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by painlessone View Post
    GPS Logger will give you your location in longitude and latitude, along with elevation.
    They have a free download version you could try. 100% free|pay-what-you-want Software for BlackBerry Devices with OS 4.2.1 or higher Same link as File Scout.
    On Google maps, once you have the blue dot on your correct location, you can go BB Button/Help/ About info/Scroll down and where it says "Center:" you will see your current longitude and latitude. Hope that helps
    Excellent find painless, Fletch will be might happy with that find. Thanks for the post.
    Last edited by Bryan; 07-06-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by painlessone View Post
    They have a free download version you could try. 100% free|pay-what-you-want Software for BlackBerry Devices with OS 4.2.1 or higher Same link as File Scout.
    Thanks Pain :fing02:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12