snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Liked
    1 times

BES Reactivation Question

I'm sure this has been be discussed elsewhere so accept my apology in advance, however I've got a question re. BES reactivation after upgrading to a new hybrid/OS.

Specifically, I've added a number of hybrids (currently on BBCM v6) and the past few times I've tweaked my OS, I've been forced to reactivate my BES, which has inevitably caused problems w. my BES admin people. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to change hybrids/radios/OS while not being forced to go through the process of reactivating a BES? Alternatively, does anyone know a way to make the blackberry automatically reactivate the BES after upgrading? In prior upgrades, I noticed that reactivation started automatically after I started DM (post-upgrade via Loader), however this doesn't appear to be working anymore.

Thanks!

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    I'm sure this has been be discussed elsewhere so accept my apology in advance, however I've got a question re. BES reactivation after upgrading to a new hybrid/OS.

Specifically, I've added a number of hybrids (currently on BBCM v6) and the past few times I've tweaked my OS, I've been forced to reactivate my BES, which has inevitably caused problems w. my BES admin people. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to change hybrids/radios/OS while not being forced to go through the process of reactivating a BES? Alternatively, does anyone know a way to make the blackberry automatically reactivate the BES after upgrading? In prior upgrades, I noticed that reactivation started automatically after I started DM (post-upgrade via Loader), however this doesn't appear to be working anymore.

Thanks!
    I don't know a whole lot about BES but I would think you would have to reactivate after every OS upgrade, and there is no way around that. And you are correct DM will do that for you, but loader will not. From what I have read most just get a temporary password and then upgrade their OS before the password fails.

sunkast Guest
    The only way you can avoid reactivating is if you install from a PC that is connected to the enterprise server.

apuntsel is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    HTC Thunderbolt
    OS
    Android
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    The only way you can avoid reactivating is if you install from a PC that is connected to the enterprise server.
    Works for me that way as well, right after i restore my 3rd party apps. It starts the reactivation by itself.
    Theme: bDroidX · Apps: Supra eKey, SmrtGuard, MeterBerry, Google Maps, Berry Weather, CaptureIt, BBFileScout, Visual VoiceMail, Mortgage Payment Calculator, BubbleBurst, StormSlots, Hangman

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apuntsel View Post
    Works for me that way as well, right after i restore my 3rd party apps. It starts the reactivation by itself.
    Thanks :fing02: I knew some BES members would come to the rescue :35:

billr is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    BBC Hybrid V8.5
    Liked
    0 times
    I've upgraded to three different hybrids, including 7.1.2, without having to contact the BES admins. I was worried this last time because I did a full wipe first, but once I started up the DM (with the PC conencted to the corporate network) it automatically activated. The procedure I use is the one recommended in the past:

1. exit DM if you were using it to do a backup

2. disconnect network cable

3. install OS using loader.exe

4. rename OS on PC (append "A" to the OS folder name)

5. reconnect network cable and if remote, start the VPN

6. start DM. It will usually recognize your device and automatically start the activation. The 9530 screen will be blank, but if you touch it, you will see the activation sequence. Give it a little bit of time (20-30) seconds before giving up. Activation itself will take longer, of course.

7. if the activation did not start, disconnect USB cable and reconnect

8. reload 3rd party apps.

You may be able to do step 8 before 6, but the above is the way I did it last time.
    Last edited by billr; 06-30-2009 at 11:16 PM.

polar135 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow polar135 On Twitter
    PIN
    not for sharing
    Device
    Droix X FTW
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billr View Post
    I've upgraded to three different hybrids, including 7.1.2, without having to contact the BES admins. I was worried this last time because I did a full wipe first, but once I started up the DM (with the PC conencted to the corporate network) it automatically activated. The procedure I use is the one recommended in the past:

1. exit DM if you were using it to do a backup

2. disconnect network cable

3. install OS using loader.exe

4. rename OS on PC (append "A" to the OS folder name)

5. reconnect network cable and if remote, start the VPN

6. start DM. It will usually recognize your device and automatically start the activation. The 9530 screen will be blank, but if you touch it, you will see the activation sequence. Give it a little bit of time (20-30) seconds before giving up. Activation itself will take longer, of course.

7. if the activation did not start, disconnect USB cable and reconnect

8. reload 3rd party apps.

You may be able to do step 8 before 6, but the above is the way I did it last time.
    This is the way i reconnect my BES everytime. I have not had to call my IT people since i got my phone by following the info above!:fing02:

radioguinea is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow radioguinea On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Just an FYI, in order to reactivate over a BES using desktop manager, that option has to be turned on. It is by default, but your BES admin can turn it off he he/she chooses to.

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by radioguinea View Post
    Just an FYI, in order to reactivate over a BES using desktop manager, that option has to be turned on. It is by default, but your BES admin can turn it off he he/she chooses to.

Thanks Radio....That is good to know....I'll have to talk that up with our IT admin here at the plant....

radioguinea is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow radioguinea On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    Thanks Radio....That is good to know....I'll have to talk that up with our IT admin here at the plant....
    No problem.