Thread: Cell broadcasting service?

rasputin is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    OS
    Ask Lou.
    Liked
    0 times

Cell broadcasting service?

What's this all about? I can turn it on or off, add "channels"? And pick languages .. Wtf is it?

Laney is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Liked
    2 times
    here is what i found...

Cell broadcasting is an existing, though rarely used, function of cellular networks and is defined by the official standardisation bodies such as GSM MoU, (GSM 03.49)UMTS, 3GPP/3GPP2 and IS95CDMA.

Cell broadcasting allows text messages to be broadcast to all mobile handsets in a given geographical area. This area can range from the area covered by a single cell to the whole network. Because cell broadcast works by targeting particular cells no knowledge of mobile telephone numbers is required, unlike bulk SMS. Also cell broadcasting places a very low load on the network, a cell broadcast to every subscriber on the network is equivalent to sending an SMS message to a single phone. Network loading problems can cause severe problems in emergency situations when network usage is likely to be very high anyway and in these circumstances SMS messages can be delayed for hours or days or even lost altogether.

The cell broadcast technology provides for 64000 broadcast channels so that different types of message (severe weather, terrorist, missing child etc) could be broadcast on different channels. Not every subscriber would necessarily receive all the channels and hence all the messages. Channels can be activated from the handset or remotely by the network. Ideally certain channels would be allocated for certain message types and these would be standardised globally so that travellers would receive alerts wherever they happen to be.

rasputin is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    OS
    Ask Lou.
    Liked
    0 times
    wow laney! Nice research..... But how do we use it? make a bbos channel? Or its just for the provider to do?

Laney is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Liked
    2 times
    sounds to me like we dont use it, its more of an "emergency broadcasting system" type of deal for the provider. why all those options are available to us... i dont know :lmao: