PIN
    20F3C981
    Device
    OS
    5.0 -348
    Liked
    2 times

One The Fence

I might be getting rid of storm and going to the curve 8900 because of the WIFI and UMA since I am on Tmobile.

Tmobile signal is not the greatest at my home is not the greatest but the unlimited loyalty plan I can't give that up.

50.00 unlimited minutes

UMA for WIFI calling from home since my signal is sketchy.

Tethering - I hear is free as I have unlimited DATA for 30.00
    with BIS and BES Corporate Email. My normal bill will be about 88-90 bucks topps.. for unlimited data and minutes.

ATT unlimited minutes is 99.99 for voice only.. the BES data plan they offer is $45.00 Sheesh

since most places I hang have WIFI I can get on that if signal is bad and tmobile has hotspots around, also Optimum Online have a lot of hot spots now.

Actually tmobile has shipped out the phone for me already just thinking if I should sell it or not..Oh well..

Choices .. Choices

I already flashed my linksys router wrt54g with the custom dd-rt firmware and then I will get another one and set it up as a repeater with the same dd-rt firmware so i will be signal strength overload even when I am in the dumpster..hehehehe

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Hey Mixo I understand your issue. I am not a big fan of GSM providers here in the states but TMO is def the best IMO. However, in comparision VZW blows it away in the US. So basically I have two phones the Storm for the US and the 8900 from when I travel overseas for biz. I found that TMO just doesn't get here but they are getting better. AT&T on the other hand for me just straight sucks. Just my two cents.

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello Mixo....
    You laid it all out on the table now. Like jlevy says, VZW blows the coverage out of the water. All I can say is that you gotta do what you gotta do, but money can't always be the deciding factor that controls all your decisions. That's my opinion. I'm sure you'll make the best call for your situation.

Good Luck
    ~Michael~

mixoplex is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    20F3C981
    Device
    OS
    5.0 -348
    Liked
    2 times
    I know VZW has the great coverage but I do not like being locked into a specific phone. I like having the ability to choose.

But also .. no wifi, no uma..

If I can save a few dollars here and there is makes sense.

Verizon unlimited plan is not 50.00.. but 99.99 - thats a big price difference

money matters.. You see those gas prices up again.

My only signal issue is at home and part of a major highway that I have to drive up..I can sacrifice that to save extra money.

Thanks for the comments..

I can use that extra money to buy hard drives for my WDTV HD Box... 4 terrabytes of bluray movies and counting.. Woo hooo

skeletallightning is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mixoplex View Post
    I know VZW has the great coverage but I do not like being locked into a specific phone. I like having the ability to choose.
    that is one of my biggest issues with vzw. luckily my parents still pay for the plan so i don't have to worry about the cost, but when the tour and storm 2 come out i don't know what i'll do.

the coverage is definitely the best out there though.

i also wish the storm had wifi capability.
    i would turn it all in for late nights and impossible dreams.

sunkast Guest
    When you weigh the pro/con of service coverage you should keep in mind which areas you are in the most. If you are away from home a lot or travel for work VZW is probably better. On the other hand if Tmobile's coverage is decent in the areas you go, you will probably be fine.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Very true sunkast. One thing I don't like about Tmobile is their UMA service sucks. They really need to work on that technology because on my 8320 standing 2 feet from wireless router calls still drop all the time. Plus the hand over from UMA back to EDGE or vice versa is abysmal. Just something to keep in mind Mixo because while I thought @ home would safe me money on call it just became way to frustrating.

sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    on my 8320 standing 2 feet from wireless router calls still drop all the time. Plus the hand over from UMA back to EDGE or vice versa is abysmal.
    Really? In the early betas for OS 4.5 UMA was terrible. But the latest official versions have been great on my 8320 (4.5.0.124). Only thought that comes to mind is the router.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    Really? In the early betas for OS 4.5 UMA was terrible. But the latest official versions have been great on my 8320 (4.5.0.124). Only thought that comes to mind is the router.
    I wish that was the case but I have been through about a dozen routers and still find it very unreliable.

sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    I wish that was the case but I have been through about a dozen routers and still find it very unreliable.
    Have you ever tried a router with a third party firmware such as DD WRT or Tomato? I have a Linksys WRT54GL with a 3rd party firmware. Best router I've ever had.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    Have you ever tried a router with a third party firmware such as DD WRT or Tomato? I have a Linksys WRT54GL with a 3rd party firmware. Best router I've ever had.
    Ha I like the way you think. But I have tried numerous 3rd party software and still have issues. It's probably just me because I know a lot of people who use UMA all the time with no issues. Anyway, I am very happy with vzw and just use tmo when I am overseas.

mixoplex is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    20F3C981
    Device
    OS
    5.0 -348
    Liked
    2 times
    Well I got my router flashed with the DD-RT jammy already. I am going to get another one and flash that also and make it an access point.. Right now my router is in the basement.. I will be asking for some settings from your Mr. Sunkast..

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mixoplex View Post
    Well I got my router flashed with the DD-RT jammy already. I am going to get another one and flash that also and make it an access point.. Right now my router is in the basement.. I will be asking for some settings from your Mr. Sunkast..
    Good idea Mixo I can't even get UMA to connect :lame: