Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Crackman v6
    Liked
    0 times

Problems with Cell location update while on GSM

Hey guys,

I've got a problem with the cell location data not updating. This is the location produced by triangulation of cell towers.

I have a unlocked Verizon 9530 running on the Rogers network in Canada. When the phone is in GSM mode, the triangulation does not work. I can see that by Google Maps not knowing my general location. As well in GMM help -> about/info menu myl: reading "-1:0:0:0".

This is also confirmed by the Signal-Location Utilities app where the CellID is 0 0 0. One issue is Sig-Loc shows the Svc as 1XEV, however at the time of the screen shot the phone was working in EDGE mode on Rogers, so that flag is incorrect.

So it must be reading this information from the storm OS somewhere.

The weird thing is is when I put the phone into CDMA mode the Cell ID location is updated, which can then be read by GMM and Signal-Location. But as soon as the phone is put back to GSM, the CellID does not update with location anymore.

For obvious reasons I cannot leave the phone in CDMA mode.

This is sort of the opposite problem Verizon Storm users had with Google Maps only working with Cell triangulation and not GPS. (GPS works great with GMM

I've run most of the OS options available all had the same problem. Right now using v6 .148. Everything else on the phone has been working great.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome.. been searching on the net for a while for a solution. Doesn't seem like to many people have been complaining about this issue, although there is only a small percentage of unlocked storm users.

Thanks
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problems with Cell location update while on GSM-gmm-help.jpg   Problems with Cell location update while on GSM-sig-loc.jpg  
    Last edited by nerotc; 06-15-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    First of all welcome to BlackberryOS nerotc

Second off the top of my head I can't think of an answer let me look around and see what I can find for you, and hopefully in the mean time one of our knowledgeable members can come to the rescue.

Third I we can't see the pics you posted follow the steps in this thread to get them to show up

http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...humbnails.html

nerotc is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Crackman v6
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Bryan.

Appreciate any help someone could give.

Here are the images

Google Maps About/Info screen shot:

Signal-Loc Screen shot:

cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times

GPS fix with 9530 using GSM Network Rogers Tellus

Last edited by Bryan; 06-16-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Wow excellent post Cruz and thanks I was not having luck researching this one

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Sweet I was waiting for you (cruz) to answer this. You're the master of this info. Thanks man.

Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    My pleasure gentelmen..

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Wow excellent post Cruz and thanks I was not having luck researching this one

Me neither......Great explanation Cruz.....I'm copying your post and add it to my info .doc. Thanks....

nerotc is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Crackman v6
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the response cruz.

I never thought of it being the CDMA radio chip actually calculating the triangulation location.
    The phone does triangulate when forced into CDMA, which then shows up in GMM. Unfortunately when I go back to GSM the triangulation does stop updating.

The triangulation worked great on my old GSM Pearl, as well does work on my friend's Telus Storm running in CDMA mode.

Tom

Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nerotc View Post
    Thanks for the response cruz.

I never thought of it being the CDMA radio chip actually calculating the triangulation location.
    The phone does triangulate when forced into CDMA, which then shows up in GMM. Unfortunately when I go back to GSM the triangulation does stop updating.

The triangulation worked great on my old GSM Pearl, as well does work on my friend's Telus Storm running in CDMA mode.

Tom
    Actually it A-GPS with CDMA. The afore mentioned suggestion, should not be construed or interpreted as a standalone resolution. A "work-around' for lack of a beter term is more fitting. Essentially you have two systems working "half-assed" and thats the best its going to get.
    Some will find a marginal rate of success, other may get nothing at all.
    There are other threads on the net dealing with this very issue, that are more technically in depth, that terminate with the same conclusion. I assume you weren’t looking for technical double talk, and therefore chose not to steer you in that direction. If you would like more info on the positioning technologies, pm me and I will be happy to provide it.

Good luck in you endeavors.
    Last edited by cruznthru; 06-16-2009 at 10:05 PM.