3rd party backup messup--Help

Thread: 3rd party backup messup--Help

WesternCanuk is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

3rd party backup messup--Help

Hello all, well today i installed V7 which btw is spectacular. I backed up my 3rd party apps with the exception of one mistake. The alx file does not have all the info in it that is in the saved folder. In a nut shell the alx file references 4 of my apps. I actually have about 25 of them saved. Is there a way to get those back into the system or am i hooped?

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternCanuk View Post
    Hello all, well today i installed V7 which btw is spectacular. I backed up my 3rd party apps with the exception of one mistake. The alx file does not have all the info in it that is in the saved folder. In a nut shell the alx file references 4 of my apps. I actually have about 25 of them saved. Is there a way to get those back into the system or am i hooped?
    I am almost positive you will to reinstall those others apps manually. Sorry about that.

moosc is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow moosc On Twitter
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

That is the price of wiping. Backing up restoring third party apps can b tricky. I try buying all my apps cb app store. This way u can locate your apps u bought and all series numbers are there also.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Wirelessly posted

That is the price of wiping. Backing up restoring third party apps can b tricky. I try buying all my apps cb app store. This way u can locate your apps u bought and all series numbers are there also.
    Moosc you can easily do that at our store as well in fact anything you purchase through CB is listed in the "my account" section of our store. Since both ours and CB's run through MobiHand. Just an FYI

smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Moosc you can easily do that at our store as well in fact anything you purchase through CB is listed in the "my account" section of our store. Since both ours and CB's run through MobiHand. Just an FYI
    Mobihand is great for this. Its what I thought appworld would have done.

Good to know BBOS store carriers over. Yet again another piece in the complete transition.

Why would you go anywhere else!
    Bellshare - Premium Blackberry Apps

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    If you had a previous 3rd party app back up, then your DM only pulled the new/updated apps....what you need to do is send the recent back up to .zipped folder, then delete the original folder (not .zip)....Once you do that, do the 3rd party app back up again and you should have all of them
    Last edited by olta777; 06-06-2009 at 04:55 PM.

djm1947 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    OS
    Hybred 114 v3
    Liked
    0 times
    If the new backup only backed up four of the 25 or so apps, then you should be able to see the other apps in DM or you should still have the previous third party app backup folder on your computer somewhere. Try doing a search for it. I always save mine to a different folder under backups and recently I have been renaming the old ones so the new one will show all of the apps again. This seems to work great and I still have the older ones should I need them.
    9530 OS 4.7.0.148

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djm1947 View Post
    If the new backup only backed up four of the 25 or so apps, then you should be able to see the other apps in DM or you should still have the previous third party app backup folder on your computer somewhere. Try doing a search for it. I always save mine to a different folder under backups and recently I have been renaming the old ones so the new one will show all of the apps again. This seems to work great and I still have the older ones should I need them.

I tried that and it didn't work for me....I had to do the .zip method like I mentioned in the above post.....but hey this would simplify things

RIM just needs to add an option to back up 3rd party apps in DM!!!

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the 3rd party backup folder with all the appz backed up BUT the .alx file was over written and only holds info on 4 of my appz. Why this is i have no idea. Anyway i tried to recover in DM but again only the 4 appz come up. I really understand the .zip file instructions. it really seems like i need to rewrite the .alx file somehow. Ahh well i can always start looking for my stuff by loggin into the different sites i use.

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    I have the 3rd party backup folder with all the appz backed up BUT the .alx file was over written and only holds info on 4 of my appz. Why this is i have no idea. Anyway i tried to recover in DM but again only the 4 appz come up. I really understand the .zip file instructions. it really seems like i need to rewrite the .alx file somehow. Ahh well i can always start looking for my stuff by loggin into the different sites i use.
    What I was trying to explain to you is when you have a recent back up and then trying to back up again, DM only looks for new/updated apps. Then when you copy the folders over, you overwrite old ones and you lose them. That's why I said, you need to .zip the back up that had 25 apps (previous one), delete the original folder, then back up again and DM will back all of your apps up. Is this confusing? It's hard to explain in writing.

So, if you only have the 4 apps, unfortunately you will have to reinstall all of the others.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    yup i understand but i've backed up my apps then wiped my phone reloaded only to discover the problem so zipping up the folder and rebacking up will only give the 4 apps again. So yes i agree i'll reload everything thanks everyone for helping though.

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    yup i understand but i've backed up my apps then wiped my phone reloaded only to discover the problem so zipping up the folder and rebacking up will only give the 4 apps again. So yes i agree i'll reload everything thanks everyone for helping though.
    Once you load them all, you can delete the back up with the 4 apps, and just back all of them up so you have them just in case...

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    great advice thanks all for the help

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    great advice thanks all for the help
    No problem...the 3rd party app back up/restore process can be frustrating, as RIM has not simplified it yet :banghead: LOL

Kris is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow Kris On Twitter
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    No problem...the 3rd party app back up/restore process can be frustrating, as RIM has not simplified it yet :banghead: LOL
    i have never really had a problem with this, it always restores my perfectly lol

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KristopherF View Post
    i have never really had a problem with this, it always restores my perfectly lol
    Sometimes it does go whacko...and that's when fun ends

Kris is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow Kris On Twitter
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Sometimes it does go whacko...and that's when fun ends

yea i wouldn't be very happy if that happened to me i have WAY to many apps to lose them :knockedout:

Jwacton is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    304B7FA5
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Whatever leaks or hybridized
    Liked
    0 times

There is a way to combine 3rd party back ups

The link is not available right now because Crackberry is down, but what it essentially entails is:

1. The first time that you back up, you will get a snapshot of loading instructions called the (your pin).alx file and the cod 's to the 3rd party apps.
    2. Each time you 3rd party back up, you'll have another alx file with updates to your last alx file and cods.
    3. You'll need to text edit using notepad the updates from the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... alx 3rd party backup file into your original first one, and copy the cod's into the same folder.
    4. Then when reloading, point back to your 1st alx file.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/dm-...0/#post2634515
    Last edited by Jwacton; 06-07-2009 at 05:22 AM.
    [Falcon: Would you like to play a game? David Lightman: How about...Globalthermal Nuclear War Falcon: Would you like to play a nice game of Chess?Storm 9530 BBCV5 Hybrid

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Jwacton, thanks...I think we need to create a thread on this or add it to the existing 3rd party app back up thread.