Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

blackberrymylife is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 953
    OS
    4.7.0.114 hybrid

Blackberry Storm flop or not?

Ok now that we have had our phones for sometime I'm curious to find out everyone opinion on the storm . I'll try get the ball rolling by saying I think honestlly the device itself fron a consumer stand point was a flop. I agree with phone scoop he11fire in saying that if your not a techy as writer put it that your just not gonna enjoy this phone. I have had the privilege to play with an iphone with 3.0, and a palm pre. And out of all 3 the storm lacks the most. When I say lack I mean that Rim for whatever reason rushed this phone I believe. Like I said before I have many storms at my disposal and it amazes me how I load each phone with exact same software and everything the same and they perform so differently. One phone lags more than other, one phone freezes more than other. This has made dealing with customer problems very hard to the point its no point in fixing just replac and hope for best. Now me as a user I do not mind my storm because I have access to people like crackman and lyr. The phone itself has entertained me in seeing new os leaked and tweakin and trying hybrids. But once again this is the techy playing lol. I have actually got the chance to talk to one executive about the storm and he himself as notched the storm as a test run. He believes the storm 2 will deliver where storm did not. I am not bashing the storm I am just trying to speak from a manager view. The storm has been one of the most returned and trouled phones and I am in what we call a level 1 store. Now the palm pre I must admit have done a better job at an initial touch screen launch in regards to os. The os isn't lag free so please don't believe the hype. But it has the least lag I have seen on any of the smartphone. And I have had them all from samsung instinct to htc touch pro to iphone both gen to omnia to storm.that's to name a few. But the palm pre device is lacking in my opinion. But they unlike rim made the os first. It is evident in the phone. The storm os I hate to say is the curve and other blackberry just touch screen added. For a touch screen phone the hard keys are used too much. I believe that reinventing the design of the the bb device for touch screen is needed. People might say how can I suggest getting rid of the classic 4 key design but its because its honestly a consumer oriented phone. As much as people want to say its for business user too its not true. If rim reinvented the design and people had to learn a new system trust me consumers wouldn't mind at all. People that got the storm honestly got it because they wanted it . And people might say wait the pre might do horrible at first too and I agree with u because of some key annoying flaws in it but that's for another thread. And for those who say look at the numbers of sales that the storm has had I will say that is due to clever marketing by rim and verizon. The bogo(buy one get one free) was smart and helped save the phone. Many customers could not pass up a mediocre 500 phone for free. Like I said before no bashing here just stating what I have en countered as manageer.like I said I enjoy my phone for the main fact of leaks. But I also have a curve for corporate use that company gives. Well my choice of the device itself would be flop but clever marketing to save it.oh by the way thanks to all hybrid workers makers and leakers. bottom line is I believe the storm can be saved just needs more work than they are putting into it. Let's hope 5.0 is successful in saving first gen storms. I also to help prove point to myself I am typing this thread on my storm and it is incredibly slow lol just might be my device who knows. If anyone reads and want me to go into detail why I think flop I'll be happy to explain more detail. Please feel free to state your opinion. Have good day.

Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    I do agree with you BMF, and i wish it wasnt like this with these phones. Hopefully Storm2 will be amazing and save our faith in RIM. Awesome post and makes you think

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Wow well said post

gatewayad is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow gatewayad On Twitter
    Device
    9530/Droid
    OK, my 2 cents worth,
    With all the hype around the storm when it came out it should have been amazing, it should have been able to do what it can now and more...but it didnt. This is my first Blackberry so I as many had no expectations (other than what a palm did 8 years ago). I knowing nothing about how it should work was still disapointed actualy very disapointed, lagging on app opening, slow on transition and lots of dropped calls. After many many calls to vzw techs one finally told me about CB and in Jan of this year I started lurking around there looking for help. And I found it... many many helpful people and over the course of the next sevral months helped make my storm better. I feel RIM is on the right track with this phone and especially with the 151 and above os'. Disapointment lasted 6 months and a couple days ago at midnight or so I had a new acting Storm that right now lives up to most of my expectations. I am sure there more things that can be done and are being done to make it better but now I am liking it alot, and with the storm 2 coming out i'm kinda hoping they have not given up on improving the storm.............
    So to answer your question Flop or Not
    Wednesday 6-3-09 FLOP
    Thursday 6-4-09 NOT
    :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewayad View Post
    So to answer your question Flop or Not
    Wednesday 6-3-09 FLOP
    Thursday 6-4-09 NOT
    :dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Sorry that if priceless :lmao: well said gate

blachance75 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow blachance75 On Twitter
    PIN
    311F860E
    Device
    Storm 9550
    I think the biggest problem with the Storm is the lack of consistency from phone to phone, like you said. I must have been luck on the day I got my Storm because I haven't really had any problems, knock on wood.

I do agree that the software should have been better on the original release. I think they rushed it to get the phone out. The leaked OSs and hybrids that follow are one of the best things that happened for the phone.

I'm a first time BB owner, I had a few Palm Treos before, both palm and windows software. I definately prefer the BB over Palm, the software on the Treo was terrible as far as I'm concerned.

I disagree on the 4 hard keys, I like having them on the phone. I'm not sure I would like the phone as much if it was entirely touch screen. I like the idea of 4 dedicated hard keys with functions that you use pretty much every time you pick up the phone.

Even before the hybrids I wouldn't call it a flop, maybe a slight let down. Everytime you saw an ad for it on TV they ran amazingly, smooth transitions, very responsive. But when you get home with your new shiny toy it isn't anything like the commercial you saw. If the phone came preloaded with BBC v7 then I would definately say not a flop.

Spidersweb is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    312C58A8
    Device
    Strom 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.607/672
    The Voyager was a flop... (opps, did I write that out loud?)

You make a few very good points so I dare not repeat them. And I won't go into to the past. That's already been written. But I will say that from my perspective, the hardware that they introduce was on point. Yes it came with a lot of wolftickets. But consider that it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that the problem were all software related. To me it's like Deja Vu..., I seem to remember looking out the Window at a few other Big Dogs that tend to piece-mill out their best work. I think that the Storm will continue to hold its own. If the hardware gets any better it will probably be what we can all expect (wifi, more touch screen, color change, faster, stronger and so on.) The software can happen at anytime the great minds let go of their visions. More Hybrids or 5.0 OS, it doesn't make a difference to me. Just no that the potential for success is already in your hand when you pick up a Storm.

patches152 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    i've said it before. the storm isn't a consumer device. it is a business device with consumer functions added. consumer functions = eye candy. there is nothing NEW to the storm that isn't on the other berries.

now with that said, i feel the storm is a success. slow start = / = fail. and now with the OS improvements (including official and .15x and even 5.0) i feel like the storm will be a good device from now on. the launch was just really, REALLY rocky. and i blame VZW for pushing it, as well as the other carriers...and RIM for not preventing it. there should have been some sort of fight, even go to court over it. but RIM and the carriers wanted their xmas $$$ so we all know how that turned out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast