Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 25

  1. #1
    imranz is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    PIN
    Guess what?
    Device
    Curve 8900
    OS
    4.7.0.148
    Posts
    19

    Unhappy How to Transform CDMA Radio from Storm 9530 to 9500?

    Hi guys,

    Nice to know u all. I got a problem which I hope I can find solution here. I have BlackBerry Storm 9530 and I want to register with my provider BIS. My provider is Celcom Malaysia. After doing some research, I found out that to register with Celcom BIS, my storm radio should use certain CDMA signal that's why I used .90 radio. By using swap-a-radio I change the CDMA radio for my phone and you know what, I can connect to my BIS but only using EDGE connection. The problem is, after upgrading my firmware to the latest one released on 31 May, I can't connect to my BIS. I even did the same way before but still failed.

    Then I downgrade my OS to the one which work before but the problem still the same! I also did hard reset by taking out my battery and put it back but still no progress.

    When I called my provider, they told me that they only support 9500 and not 9530. So the best way I can do is by asking someone expert here.

    Based on my finding, 9530 and 9500 still use the same hardware but the difference is the CDMA radio. Is it correct?

    So my question is, is it possible if I can change my 9530 radio to 9500 radio so that I can use back my BIS?

    I tried to download 9500 DM and the driver for 9500 but my PC still recognize my storm as 9530. Is there any solution to solve this problem? I really need your help. Thank you in advance



  2. #2
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Wirelessly posted

    Unfortunately its not possible. You would have to get a 9500 storm to use a 9500 radio. Let me also do a little research to see what can be done in your current situation

  3. #3
    imranz is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    PIN
    Guess what?
    Device
    Curve 8900
    OS
    4.7.0.148
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

    Unfortunately its not possible. You would have to get a 9500 storm to use a 9500 radio. Let me also do a little research to see what can be done in your current situation
    Thank you. I will wait for that



  4. #4
    trunk is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    PIN
    3059a863
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Some hybrid
    Posts
    190
    yes the radio files are not cross compatible, as this is really the main difference between 9500 and 9530 versions. If you were able to connect on .90, you should be able to install an OS that uses the .90 platform and it should work. Try BBcrackmans v6-90 hybrid. its his latest mix of java files and the .90 radio file. Also i would reccomend a full wipe before you install, to ensure that it will work.

  5. #5
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Ok, so I have searched around and do agree with trunk, that .90 radio was really good for GSM users. I would also suggest you try using the Swap-a-Radio by Lyricidal: http://www.theiexplorers.com/bb/Swap-A-Radio.rar and choose one radio, give a try, if it doesn't work real well, choose another. For GSM carriers, you best bet is to get a 9500 device, as 9530's radio is good for CDMA, but not the best for GSM.



  6. #6
    imranz is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    PIN
    Guess what?
    Device
    Curve 8900
    OS
    4.7.0.148
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Ok, so I have searched around and do agree with trunk, that .90 radio was really good for GSM users. I would also suggest you try using the Swap-a-Radio by Lyricidal: http://www.theiexplorers.com/bb/Swap-A-Radio.rar and choose one radio, give a try, if it doesn't work real well, choose another. For GSM carriers, you best bet is to get a 9500 device, as 9530's radio is good for CDMA, but not the best for GSM.
    My provider offer me 2 plan of BIS which is BIS Basic and BIS Advance. Before this using .90 radio I can connect to BIS (at that time I use BIS Basic package). After a week I went to the branch and upgrade my package to BIS Advance and from that day my BIS got problem. I could not connect to BIS anymore!! I suspect something was wrong with my storm so I did 'Wipe Handheld' and also did hard reset but still got the same problem. I called my provider and he can do nothing! he only said that they support 9500 not 9530. I asked them again, why I cannot connect to BIS when I upgrade to BIS advance but I can use it on BIS Basic before. He speechless...

  7. #7
    jpking's Avatar
    jpking is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow jpking On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.320
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by imranz View Post
    My provider offer me 2 plan of BIS which is BIS Basic and BIS Advance. Before this using .90 radio I can connect to BIS (at that time I use BIS Basic package). After a week I went to the branch and upgrade my package to BIS Advance and from that day my BIS got problem. I could not connect to BIS anymore!! I suspect something was wrong with my storm so I did 'Wipe Handheld' and also did hard reset but still got the same problem. I called my provider and he can do nothing! he only said that they support 9500 not 9530. I asked them again, why I cannot connect to BIS when I upgrade to BIS advance but I can use it on BIS Basic before. He speechless...
    Your best bet is either BBCrackman Hybrid v6 with .90 radio, or to just stay with the new firmware you have now, but swap the radio (CDMA) to .90 That's about the only thing that's going to make your phone work decent on a GSM network. Good luck!

  8. #8
    djm1947's Avatar
    djm1947 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    9530
    OS
    Hybred 114 v3
    Posts
    2
    It sounds like you know what you are doing, but tha the problem occured when you installed the new OS. Make sure your radio is set to GSM and not 1XEV.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •