Storm Memory
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Storm Memory

  1. #1
    wildcards's Avatar
    wildcards is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hamilton , Ontario
    Device
    9530 STORM
    OS
    4.7.114 Hybrid
    Posts
    33
    Liked
    0 times

    Talking Storm Memory

    What is everybody's memory on the storm, whats the norm? How much memory leak is acceptable and whats not acceptable?




  2. #2
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    188 times
    It seems that the "norm" if you can even call it that, is anywhere from 20's to 50's.

    I've heard so many different numbers over the past 4 months it's crazy.

    Mine happens to be at 34.1 right now, yesterday it was in the high 40's.

    I have been told that it is not as important as most seem to think. (reports that the device is running fine with 10 or 12 MB free.

    It is only hearsay though, try searching google for "blackberry storm free memory" and you will see how much the memory varies, as well as the opinions.
    Hope that helps a little
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  3. #3
    wildcards's Avatar
    wildcards is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hamilton , Ontario
    Device
    9530 STORM
    OS
    4.7.114 Hybrid
    Posts
    33
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    It seems that the "norm" if you can even call it that, is anywhere from 20's to 50's.

    I've heard so many different numbers over the past 4 months it's crazy.

    Mine happens to be at 34.1 right now, yesterday it was in the high 40's.

    I have been told that it is not as important as most seem to think. (reports that the device is running fine with 10 or 12 MB free.

    It is only hearsay though, try searching google for "blackberry storm free memory" and you will see how much the memory varies, as well as the opinions.
    Hope that helps a little
    It helps I'm just trying to benchmark my storm with other peoples so I can optimize the performance of the phone, this way I can tell if i've done something wrong or something good for that matter.

    My Memory now is at 30.6
    The highest its been was 38.5
    my lowest was 30.1 and sorta hovers between 30-38

  4. #4
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcards View Post
    It helps I'm just trying to benchmark my storm with other peoples so I can optimize the performance of the phone, this way I can tell if i've done something wrong or something good for that matter.

    My Memory now is at 30.6
    The highest its been was 38.5
    my lowest was 30.1 and sorta hovers between 30-38
    Yeah, that's cool, I've heard people state that they have been as high as 68MB!
    That is crazy.
    I've been happy with the performance of mine though...
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  5. #5
    Shane's Avatar
    Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pa
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Posts
    1,626
    Liked
    0 times
    The highest mines ever been was 52, with only 1 or 2 apps loaded. Lowest I've seen it is was 3.8. lol. The phone was a little sluggish, but a battery pull jumped it to 38.

  6. #6
    djh074's Avatar
    djh074 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    PIN
    k taco
    Device
    9530 vzw
    OS
    check back daily
    Posts
    161
    Liked
    0 times
    ouch! 3.8. i'm amazed the menus would even open with 3.8 lol
    gotta love what a good old batt pull will do for ya

  7. #7
    Shane's Avatar
    Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pa
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Posts
    1,626
    Liked
    0 times
    Yea. Every once in a while if I load a bad app of theme, it will leak like a sieve.














    y

  8. #8
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djh074 View Post
    ouch! 3.8. i'm amazed the menus would even open with 3.8 lol
    gotta love what a good old batt pull will do for ya
    I have heard of people running theres with 1MB free. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanepark2 View Post
    Yea. Every once in a while if I load a bad app of theme, it will leak like a sieve.
    I've had that happen. some themes just run it into the ground
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  9. #9
    xwera43's Avatar
    xwera43 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon via SoCal
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Posts
    382
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanepark2 View Post
    Yea. Every once in a while if I load a bad app of theme, it will leak like a sieve.
    I think that would be the main reason to look at your free memory, to see if you're running a buggy app/theme.

    ~X

  10. #10
    statustray's Avatar
    statustray is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    bbOSLand
    Device
    Verizon 9530 (S
    OS
    5.0.0.484 (Platform
    Posts
    254
    Liked
    0 times
    The lowest mine has ever been was with OS .75 and it dipped down quite regularly to the 15MB or so. Since I upgraded it to .109, I think the lowest it has dipped was in the mid-20s. BUT, I have not loaded many 3rd party apps on it... matter fact at the moment, I am only running vyMail, BerryTunes, TetherBerry, and Google Sync.

    On the converse, the highest mine has been is in the upper 40s.

  11. #11
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by statustray View Post
    The lowest mine has ever been was with OS .75 and it dipped down quite regularly to the 15MB or so. Since I upgraded it to .109, I think the lowest it has dipped was in the mid-20s. BUT, I have not loaded many 3rd party apps on it... matter fact at the moment, I am only running vyMail, BerryTunes, TetherBerry, and Google Sync.

    On the converse, the highest mine has been is in the upper 40s.
    I believe that just those 4 programs are pretty hefty, that may be the reason for the load.
    I have been hoping and wishing that in a future update the application memory would have access to the gig of internal memory which is currently not the case.
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  12. #12
    vader7071's Avatar
    vader7071 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dothan, AL
    PIN
    Ask please
    Device
    9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.451
    Posts
    429
    Liked
    3 times
    Here is a question. In my office there are about 6 or 7 of these units. Most everyone is running 109 and a few are running 114H. However, one guy complains that his memory hits 0.0M and stays there. any ideas what could be causing this?

    Now, no one else is complaining of this. His is 109 and mine is 114H, and I stay in the mid 30's.
    Chris W. "Vader"
    Are you mission critical?
    Old ninja saying.....Nine times down, ten times up!

  13. #13
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    188 times
    does his phone have the exact same apps installed? that is where i would start.
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  14. #14
    Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    .230
    Posts
    2,198
    Liked
    7 times
    Wow. How many upgrades has he done since he got the phone? The more upgrades you do (loading an OS ontop of another) will kill your memory as well. He should def wipe his berry clean with JL and then do a fresh install and he'll see high 50's easily.

  15. #15
    Kris's Avatar
    Kris is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow Kris On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atwater, California,
    Posts
    1,507
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS View Post
    Wow. How many upgrades has he done since he got the phone? The more upgrades you do (loading an OS ontop of another) will kill your memory as well. He should def wipe his berry clean with JL and then do a fresh install and he'll see high 50's easily.
    Really I had no idea that this happens, wow I learned something new

  16. #16
    erneberry's Avatar
    erneberry is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    panama
    PIN
    ; )
    Device
    9790
    OS
    7.1.0.247
    Posts
    126
    Liked
    0 times
    mine is a vodafone 9500 and my memory is 40mb min and 50max

  17. #17
    pupp3t Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS View Post
    Wow. How many upgrades has he done since he got the phone? The more upgrades you do (loading an OS ontop of another) will kill your memory as well. He should def wipe his berry clean with JL and then do a fresh install and he'll see high 50's easily.
    In not 100% sure, but when using apploader, doesnt it automatically wipe your phone?

  18. #18
    Kris's Avatar
    Kris is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow Kris On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atwater, California,
    Posts
    1,507
    Liked
    1 times
    i think it's a bit different buti might be wrong as well LOL

    Java wipes it clean with no OS at all so it's like starting BRAND new

  19. #19
    Shane's Avatar
    Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pa
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Posts
    1,626
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pupp3t View Post
    In not 100% sure, but when using apploader, doesnt it automatically wipe your phone?
    yes, but i'm not sure to what extent it wipes.

  20. #20
    dangell's Avatar
    dangell is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Champlin, MN
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .114 Hybrid v3
    Posts
    77
    Liked
    1 times
    How do I check what my memory leak is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •