k taco
    Device
    9530 vzw
    OS
    check back daily
    Liked
    0 times

Question about PIN

The 9530 is my first blackberry. I was wondering what PIN is. Is it just another messaging program? What r the advantahes/disadvantages of PIN over SMS or any other messaging service.

Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Liked
    188 times
    You can message people without giving your phone number, email out to others you may not know well.

So if you get to know people on here and you want to talk further with people all around the world, you can.

And yes it is another message program, just like texting, im, email.....

Some more info found:

When manufactured, each BlackBerry device is assigned a unique personal identification number (PIN). This allows identification of each BlackBerry and ensures that mail destined for a particular individual is delivered correctly.

During a synchronization, the redirector associates a PIN with an email account, thereafter making certain that mail in that account is sent to the device with that PIN.

With a BlackBerry, the PIN differs from the Electronic Serial Number (ESN) in that the ESN is tracked by the BlackBerry reseller, whereas the PIN is tracked by the BlackBerry wireless network provider. Some resellers may also track the PIN, but network providers do not track the ESN.

You can find your BlackBerry's PIN by selecting the Options icon, then clicking Status. Your PIN will appear in the Status screen.

Sending a PIN message
    There are two ways to send messages directly to a BlackBerry user's PIN rather than to the user's email address, depending on whether you have the PIN stored in a contact in your address book or not. If you have a contact in your address book with the PIN entered, you can select the PIN using the Compose application. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Select the Compose icon (the open envelope and pencil).
    2. In the "To:" list, scroll to the correct contact. Click the trackwheel to display a drop-down menu for the contact.
    3. If you have stored a PIN for this contact, PIN will appear in the menu. Select it.
    4. Compose your message and send it as usual.

When the message is sent, it will be routed using the PIN rather than the email address.

Note: The next time you select that contact with the Enter key, the PIN will be used rather than the email address. To reset the contact to use an email address, simply follow the directions listed above and select Email rather than PIN from the menu.

If you want to enter a PIN not associated with a contact, you can type the PIN directly into the "To:" field. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Select the Compose icon (the open envelope and pencil).
    2. Scroll up to [Use Once] at the top of the "To:" list. Click the trackwheel to display a drop-down menu.
    3. From the menu, select PIN. Enter the PIN and press Enter.
    4. Compose your message and send it as usual.

Note: PIN to PIN messages are not encrypted and transmit in plaintext, allowing anyone who intercepts them to read them. While this is a remote possibility, you should keep it in mind and not send sensitive information in a PIN to PIN message.
    Last edited by Neolantis; 03-15-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

djh074 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    k taco
    Device
    9530 vzw
    OS
    check back daily
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow, now that's an answer! Can't even come up with a follow-up question after that post. Thx Neolantis! Very informative...

Liked
    188 times
    I thought it was overkill too, but I had seen so much info on it when I first got mine.

I had no clue what people meant by PIN either.

Now you can tell everybody else what you learned....just not all at once, we don't want them falling asleep.

djh074 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    k taco
    Device
    9530 vzw
    OS
    check back daily
    Liked
    0 times
    Fall asleep? Cmon......this is telephony at its finest. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    I thought it was overkill too, but I had seen so much info on it when I first got mine.

I had no clue what people meant by PIN either.

Now you can tell everybody else what you learned....just not all at once, we don't want them falling asleep.

phbeks is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Device
    STORM
    OS
    4.7.0.114 HYBRID!
    Liked
    0 times
    Nice NEO! Well i just learned something as well..... Now im going to have to try this out lol.

Thanks!
    www.blackberryos.com
    "When in Doubt-Reboot!" - Philip Terry

Liked
    188 times
    Sure thing I'm glad I could help out.

goliath777 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .114 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    If i send a message via PIN will the other person only see my PIN?

Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath777 View Post
    If i send a message via PIN will the other person only see my PIN?
    yes sir...that is it. it is a nice way to not give your personal info out. exactly like texting, without anyone knowing your name, email, etc...

when they get your pin message, they will only see your pin number.

on the other hand if you pin someone that you already know, you can enter the pin number in the contact information of the person.

When they pin you it will come up with their name but it will be red indicating that it is a pin message.
    Last edited by Neolantis; 03-19-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    in order to send a PIN text, doesnt that other person have to be another BB user?

Liked
    188 times
    yes they do