Storm Battery Life - Findings

Thread: Storm Battery Life - Findings

caminator is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm - 9530
    Liked
    0 times

Storm Battery Life - Findings

I am hearing a lot of people say "battery life is excellent", "this is the best OS for battery" etc. I am wondering what people believe is a good battery life.

Here are my stats of the phone and usage so you people can compare.

These are the programs I run on an every day basis:
    I have .132 installed with Hybrid v5.1.
    Blackberry Pro v3 Theme
    Facebook
    Google Sync

Phone Usage per Day:
    I probably average about 45 minutes/day talking on the phone
    I read my email many times a day - probably about 20 times a day.

This is what I am seeing with my battery. Every single day at the end of the day (between 8pm-10pm) I am almost dead. If I use VZ Navigator during that day, my phone will completely shut off (radio turns off and sometimes the phone even goes does all together). I absolutely HAVE to plug my phone in every night or it will be dead by the morning.

Is this normal? This does not seem like "excellent battery life." Nor does it even seem like good battery life. It almost fits the unacceptable range. Can you others fill me in on your findings with the battery? I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I am either doing something wrong, or if there is something wrong with the phone.

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

I think in general the storms battery is not enough for how much it does. I charge mine every night and some days, I charge it mid day. I am a pretty moderate to heavy user. Some OS optimize battery life, but like I said, storm needs a more powerful battery. That's my personal observation and I have had a storm since it came out.

rasputin is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    OS
    Ask Lou.
    Liked
    0 times
    I can last a full 24 if I don't do any browser/music/calls...

On heavy days, which is most every day I need to put in my second batt after about 7 hours, and I'm talking heavy use.

Spidersweb is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    312C58A8
    Device
    Strom 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.607/672
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by caminator View Post
    I am hearing a lot of people say "battery life is excellent", "this is the best OS for battery" etc. I am wondering what people believe is a good battery life.
    I have to agree on this one. But then I remember that we are talking about our beloved Storm. I too have seen ups and downs with my Battery life. And different OS's do make a difference. The best I have noticed thus far has been this holiday weekend. I was using 148/181 w5.0 Java files and Hybrid 5.1 (I know that's a wild mix.) I charged my phone overnight Thursday and maybe 30mins at work Friday for a backup. After work Friday, we got on the road to go out of town and I forgot my charger. My phone is set to turn off at 11pm and come back on at 5am. Saturday I woke up to 40%. We got back home Sat. about 5pm. After 2/5min calls (no bluetooth) and at least 20 messages, I still had 35%. It's like the meter was stuck. I was very impressed.

Today at work, I made an upgrade to my OS (again, after a full charge overnight.) My battery was down to 40% before I left work and 20% by 10pm. I got to fix it tomorrow but at least I know what my Storm is capable of.

cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times

Battery Life Tips

Read through this thread, a few usefull tips you may pickup.

http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...life-tips.html

Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I can last a full 24 if I don't do any browser/music/calls...
    Not being wise, but I would hope you would get a full day if you don't use it...Mine lasts around 4 days or more when i'm not using it.

I mainly text and browser and it will be good for 2-3 days.

I think it also is determined by the other apps installed, but like cruz says...check out the post he wrote up. It's a good read.
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

trunk is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    3059a863
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Some hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

First of all turn your brightness as far down as possible. Second turn your backlight down to 20 second or so. Also keep your GPS off if you don't use it regularly. Lastly pattern lock helped my battery a bit more with its extra backlight adjusting features. Play with these settings and see what you get. Also you may want to try draining your battery all the way past where your radio turns off then give it a good 12+ hour charge. My battery lasts me two full days sometimes more if I don't use my phone much

olimazi is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

bat pull

Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

I think in general the storms battery is not enough for how much it does. I charge mine every night and some days, I charge it mid day. I am a pretty moderate to heavy user. Some OS optimize battery life, but like I said, storm needs a more powerful battery. That's my personal observation and I have had a storm since it came out.
    When doing bat pulls does the power on the device have to be on or off?

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olimazi View Post
    When doing bat pulls does the power on the device have to be on or off?
    Pull the battery out with the power on and leave out for 60 seconds then put battery back in

Paul.Hansen is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    BB Storm 9530: 4.7.0. 65 > 75 > 76 > 83 > 85 > 86 > 90 > 99 > 103 > 109 > 113 > 114 > 122 > 132 > 141 > 148 > 151 > 5.0.0. 238
    Paul Hansen - Sony Electronics - VAIO Division