Combating dust under the glass screen on Storm...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Combating dust under the glass screen on Storm...

  1. #1
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times

    Question Combating dust under the glass screen on Storm...

    Has anyone, anyone at all, come up w/any decent way of blowing out some of the dust lodged under the screen? If I go out in the sun it is amazing how much you can see under there but under normal lighting you can still see a moderate amount in the dead center region (about the size of a quarter). Has anyone any decent advice? I'd hate to trade it in under warranty for just that...




  2. #2
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ktklein View Post
    Has anyone, anyone at all, come up w/any decent way of blowing out some of the dust lodged under the screen? If I go out in the sun it is amazing how much you can see under there but under normal lighting you can still see a moderate amount in the dead center region (about the size of a quarter). Has anyone any decent advice? I'd hate to trade it in under warranty for just that...
    I have yet to hear of a good one except for the "trade it in for a new one" trick.

  3. #3
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    I have yet to hear of a good one except for the "trade it in for a new one" trick.
    That's what I was afraid of...
    :disappointed:

  4. #4
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    4 times
    I have heard of people using compressed air under for under their screens, personally i would take it back like Jlevy said

  5. #5
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiefler07 View Post
    I have heard of people using compressed air under for under their screens, personally i would take it back like Jlevy said
    I think the problem with compressed air is that you run the risk of blowing it deeper into the phone just my opinion though

  6. #6
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I think the problem with compressed air is that you run the risk of blowing it deeper into the phone just my opinion though
    Correct, once it stuck under the screen it's there for good.

  7. #7
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I think the problem with compressed air is that you run the risk of blowing it deeper into the phone just my opinion though
    Yes it would, i wouldnt do it, i dont know why someone would, but they did

  8. #8
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

    Yeah I would not suggest compressed air. Have not heard such good results with it. I would exchange it. That's what I did. I am OCD with dust over everything else.

  9. #9
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

    Yeah I would not suggest compressed air. Have not heard such good results with it. I would exchange it. That's what I did. I am OCD with dust over everything else.
    Thats hard to believe

  10. #10
    rasputin's Avatar
    rasputin is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kentwood, Michigan
    Device
    9530
    OS
    Ask Lou.
    Posts
    405
    Liked
    0 times
    Just throw the storm in the washing machine on the delicate setting, and don't forget to use some softener

  11. #11
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Just throw the storm in the washing machine on the delicate setting, and don't forget to use some softener
    :haha:now that is funny:haha:

    Stiefler disclaimer:

    Rasputin is not responsible for your storm when you get home and try this.
    :lmao:

  12. #12
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiefler07
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

    Yeah I would not suggest compressed air. Have not heard such good results with it. I would exchange it. That's what I did. I am OCD with dust over everything else.
    Thats hard to believe
    Ha ha .

    Yes my last replacement was for dust

  13. #13
    terribL_T's Avatar
    terribL_T is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow terribL_T On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    OH
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Latest & Greatest
    Posts
    107
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

    Try a vacuum.

  14. #14
    Natemz's Avatar
    Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Posts
    3,209
    Liked
    19 times
    Take a hammer and gently tap on the glass until it breaks. Then remove the glass and you should be able to easily blow out the dust. Be careful though, you don't want to mess up the digitizer. That would suck!

    :kidding:
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

  15. #15
    cmorty72's Avatar
    cmorty72 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow cmorty72 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a dirty dust bowl in the SW
    PIN
    CH your money maker!!!
    Device
    Storm 9530/Soon to be Droid owner
    OS
    Something 5.0 that has been shrunk! :P
    Posts
    176
    Liked
    0 times
    I've tried a combo of compressed air and a high powered mini-vac from Radio Shack.
    It seemed to work a bit, but the dreaded dust is starting to come back!!
    But then again, when you live in a dust bowl town like I do (The City of Lost Wages, Derrbadda), it's kind of a loosing battle.

    I just hope the Storm 2 (Odin is it?), has a better seal around it's screen.

  16. #16
    Natemz's Avatar
    Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Posts
    3,209
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cmorty72 View Post
    I've tried a combo of compressed air and a high powered mini-vac from Radio Shack.
    It seemed to work a bit, but the dreaded dust is starting to come back!!
    But then again, when you live in a dust bowl town like I do (The City of Lost Wages, Derrbadda), it's kind of a loosing battle.

    I just hope the Storm 2 (Odin is it?), has a better seal around it's screen.


    It's not a click screen so there shouldn't be a gap at all for dust to get in.
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

  17. #17
    cmorty72's Avatar
    cmorty72 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow cmorty72 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a dirty dust bowl in the SW
    PIN
    CH your money maker!!!
    Device
    Storm 9530/Soon to be Droid owner
    OS
    Something 5.0 that has been shrunk! :P
    Posts
    176
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Natemz View Post
    [/B]
    It's not a click screen so there shouldn't be a gap at all for dust to get in.
    Seeing is believing.

  18. #18
    Natemz's Avatar
    Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Posts
    3,209
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cmorty72 View Post
    Seeing is believing.
    True dat!
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

  19. #19
    mrZoSo's Avatar
    mrZoSo is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    First Storm I had, I sealed the edges of screen with silicone, worked great.
    Had second one now since Feb and didn't seal screen because it was supposedly "fixed" by RIM, and I have no dust under screen.
    mrZő§ő

  20. #20
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrZoSo View Post
    First Storm I had, I sealed the edges of screen with silicone, worked great.
    Had second one now since Feb and didn't seal screen because it was supposedly "fixed" by RIM, and I have no dust under screen.
    That's awesome...I think some are better than others. I had one that had dust right out of the box! That wasn't good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •