Combating dust under the glass screen on Storm... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Combating dust under the glass screen on Storm...

  1. #21
    awtryau89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    PIN
    NA
    Device
    9700
    Posts
    36
    Liked
    0 times
    Guys, I posted this over at CB a while back. My dust repelent method is foolproof but does require disassembly. You can check out the video at CNN.cn and its fairly easy to do. I have taken apart a Curve, a Bold and now my Storm. Its not terribly hard but if you are forceful and not careful, you can damage it.

    Anyway, I showed my first Storm to a couple of our IT guys and they knew immediately how to fix it. After I got my second one, I wanted to make sure it stayed perfect.

    CircuitSealer<sup>TM</sup> Pen, #CS100P

    I went out and purchased some of this at my local Frys Electronics. It is basically a super glue type substance that is non-corrosive and will do no harm to any circuit or electronic part like our beloved Storm's screen. the great thing is it is in a pen form and this makes it nearly impossible to mess up the application.

    I disassembled the Storm and got the LCD out. I then took the pen and sealed the edges all the way around. I placed it aside for about an hour and came back and used a razor blade to scrape away the excess. It sounds dangerous but its not. Afterwards I reassembled and I was good to go.

    I have had this Storm for a while now and used it daily in and out of my pants pocket without a case. I get all kinds of dust all over it, around the keys, in the battery compartment and screen edges. I have to blow it out occasionally but I still do not have a spec of dust under the screen. I am very confident that the sealing it the reason.

    I think I should start a business and do this for people. I probably could make some money.
    Last edited by awtryau89; 05-26-2009 at 08:18 PM.




  2. #22
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
    Guys, I posted this over at CB a while back. My dust repelent method is foolproof but does require disassembly. You can check out the video at CNN.cn and its fairly easy to do. I have taken apart a Curve, a Bold and now my Storm. Its not terribly hard but if you are forceful and not careful, you can damage it.

    Anyway, I showed my first Storm to a couple of our IT guys and they knew immediately how to fix it. After I got my second one, I wanted to make sure it stayed perfect.

    CircuitSealer<sup>TM</sup> Pen, #CS100P

    I went out and purchased some of this at my local Frys Electronics. It is basically a super glue type substance that is non-corrosive and will do no harm to any circuit or electronic part like our beloved Storm's screen. the great thing is it is in a pen form and this makes it nearly impossible to mess up the application.

    I disassembled the Storm and got the LCD out. I then took the pen and sealed the edges all the way around. I placed it aside for about an hour and came back and used a razor blade to scrape away the excess. It sounds dangerous but its not. Afterwards I reassembled and I was good to go.

    I have had this Storm for a while now and used it daily in and out of my pants pocket without a case. I get all kinds of dust all over it, around the keys, in the battery compartment and screen edges. I have to blow it out occasionally but I still do not have a spec of dust under the screen. I am very confident that the sealing it the reason.

    I think I should start a business and do this for people. I probably could make some money.

    How much you charge LOL

    great post sounds tempting to give it a shot

  3. #23
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

    It does sound tempting...but just know if you dissassemble the storm, it voids warranty.

  4. #24
    mrZoSo's Avatar
    mrZoSo is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

    It does sound tempting...but just know if you dissassemble the storm, it voids warranty.
    Not if your careful, I disassembled my first one to seal it

    Quote Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
    Guys, I posted this over at CB a while back. My dust repelent method is foolproof but does require disassembly. You can check out the video at CNN.cn and its fairly easy to do. I have taken apart a Curve, a Bold and now my Storm. Its not terribly hard but if you are forceful and not careful, you can damage it.

    Anyway, I showed my first Storm to a couple of our IT guys and they knew immediately how to fix it. After I got my second one, I wanted to make sure it stayed perfect.

    CircuitSealer<sup>TM</sup> Pen, #CS100P

    I went out and purchased some of this at my local Frys Electronics. It is basically a super glue type substance that is non-corrosive and will do no harm to any circuit or electronic part like our beloved Storm's screen. the great thing is it is in a pen form and this makes it nearly impossible to mess up the application.

    I disassembled the Storm and got the LCD out. I then took the pen and sealed the edges all the way around. I placed it aside for about an hour and came back and used a razor blade to scrape away the excess. It sounds dangerous but its not. Afterwards I reassembled and I was good to go.

    I have had this Storm for a while now and used it daily in and out of my pants pocket without a case. I get all kinds of dust all over it, around the keys, in the battery compartment and screen edges. I have to blow it out occasionally but I still do not have a spec of dust under the screen. I am very confident that the sealing it the reason.

    I think I should start a business and do this for people. I probably could make some money.
    Funny, I have one of those pens from when I was overclocking one of my AMD CPU's. It's great stuff.

    Found a couple pics from when I sealed it.
    First one shows a rather large opening that I sealed. Plus I went around the whole edge of screen. (it's a little fuzzy, camera kept focusing on cloth below, lol)
    Lower image shows it compete.


    Last edited by mrZoSo; 05-26-2009 at 09:21 PM.
    mrZő§ő

  5. #25
    rasputin's Avatar
    rasputin is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kentwood, Michigan
    Device
    9530
    OS
    Ask Lou.
    Posts
    405
    Liked
    0 times
    Man, you guys have some balls! I have a problem taking apart the coffee machine, I couldent dream of taking apart a storm!

  6. #26
    cruznthru's Avatar
    cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Liked
    5 times
    The trick is to seal the edges before the dust gets in. I dont know of any fix to clean it out. I've had mine from last Nov, its getting to the point that I will soon have to exchange it. Hate to do that just because of dust, but its becoming more prevalient as time goes by.

  7. #27
    awtryau89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    PIN
    NA
    Device
    9700
    Posts
    36
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

    It does sound tempting...but just know if you dissassemble the storm, it voids warranty.

    Its not really an issue for me as I am on ATT and purchased mine from Craigslist. I couldn't get Verizon to help me if I wanted to.

    I was also real careful with mine as well. I kept the sticker intact and do not think anyone could really tell I had ever disassmbled unless it was sent back to RIM.

    The Storm has 2 major issues for most people. The main one is the OS and Crackman is doing his best to fix that. The second issue is the dust under the screen. I feel I have eliminated that. Both are now non-issues and make this phone close to what it should be.

    I have people all the time with iPhones talk trash about the Storm and its issues. Most of these folks were originally on Blackberries. When I show them mine and how it operates, you can see in their eyes they really wish they could come back. Just using that Blackberry email functionality on a touchscreen device.....you know you want it. :buttkick:

  8. #28
    terribL_T's Avatar
    terribL_T is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow terribL_T On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    OH
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Latest & Greatest
    Posts
    107
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

    I'm amazed I haven't had this problem yet. I'm a QC tech and when I do dry Mag particle test(magnetic dust) that stuff gets every where especially on the speaker. Thankfully its never gotten under the screen. I just put some tape over the speaker and roll out.

  9. #29
    Rellims's Avatar
    Rellims is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic Follow Rellims On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denver
    PIN
    EAPPLE...Y
    Device
    9550
    OS
    5.0.whatever is newe
    Posts
    1,102
    Liked
    5 times
    I saw a crazy post over on CB a while back talking about pealing away the top screen. I thought it was nuts, just return it. I really think they have tightened up the QC and the replacements are fine now. Early on it was a huge issue, now I/we rarely see any dusk complaints.
    See all of my free themes by clicking
    HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @1rellims

  10. #30
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rellims View Post
    I saw a crazy post over on CB a while back talking about pealing away the top screen. I thought it was nuts, just return it. I really think they have tightened up the QC and the replacements are fine now. Early on it was a huge issue, now I/we rarely see any dusk complaints.
    I agree
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  11. #31
    ktklein's Avatar
    ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    So. Jersey / Philly region
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    4 times
    Yeah my unit arrived in early Dec not long after launch. I pay the $6/mo ransome for unconditional replacement if the unit is lost or destroyed. I wonder if they'll try to bang me for the $50 deductible if I try to exchange it due to the dust issue. Does the standard 1yr warranty cover the replacement?

  12. #32
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

    I have exchanged mine twice for dust. I would try that before paying.

  13. #33
    edemunsta is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow edemunsta On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    CA
    PIN
    THIS!!!
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    OS BBC Hybrid v10! Tmobile
    Posts
    136
    Liked
    0 times
    I am on GSM T-mobile, am I SOL!? Is there any way to send it in and have them fix it? Or should I just get a Storm2? I really dont want to get away from the suretouch screen.
    PBJ | PBJ Gear | M1926 Tech News Blog
    Storming on Tmobile - 9530

  14. #34
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by edemunsta View Post
    I am on GSM T-mobile, am I SOL!? Is there any way to send it in and have them fix it? Or should I just get a Storm2? I really dont want to get away from the suretouch screen.
    You might want to contact RIM, as T-Mobile does not carry BB storm.

  15. #35
    DavidB is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Device
    Bold 9930
    OS
    7.1
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

    I have exchanged mine twice for dust. I would try that before paying.
    Right, but exchanging means a new PIN and all the hassles that entails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •