Low microphone volume?

Thread: Low microphone volume?

Lunars Edge Design is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Lunars Edge Design On Twitter Add Lunars Edge Design on Facebook
    Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times

Low microphone volume?

I have been told by a few people now that my volume on my phone is low and they can't hear me very well. I'm running 4.7.0.109 on my Storm 9530.

Has anyone heard of this before and is there a fix?

rabbie303 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    305A081E
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .109/.114
    Liked
    0 times
    You can enhance your audio for you, but nothing on the other end that I know of. Are you talking to them on a bluetooth? Has this always been the case since the stock OS or just since you went to the .109? Do you have any kind of cover on your storm that could be partially blocking the receiver at the bottom?

Lunars Edge Design is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Lunars Edge Design On Twitter Add Lunars Edge Design on Facebook
    Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbie303 View Post
    You can enhance your audio for you, but nothing on the other end that I know of. Are you talking to them on a bluetooth? Has this always been the case since the stock OS or just since you went to the .109? Do you have any kind of cover on your storm that could be partially blocking the receiver at the bottom?
    Hello Rabbie,

I updated so fast to .109 from .75 when I first got the phone I don't know if it is a hardware issue. I'm not talking on bluetooth. I do have a cover, but it's not obstructing the microphone, although it does surround it about a 1/16th of an inch in thickness. It is a rubber case.

Hmmm, if there is not anything I can do as far as enhancements, I may have to get a replacement. I thought maybe there was an option for microphone volume.

Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    I have read in other forums that people have experienced this with .109. Not conviced it is a .109 issue. If you think it might be .109, load another OS, and see if people notice a difference. If you do, please post back your findings, as I am curious if this is valid.

rabbie303 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    305A081E
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .109/.114
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah I would try either reloading the .109 or you could try the hybrid .114 that fixed the dial pad while on calls. And of course, if you decide to do that, I am no way, shape, or form responsible if you brick the heck outta your phone, but I will gladly help fix it lol.

PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbie303 View Post
    Yeah I would try either reloading the .109 or you could try the hybrid .114 that fixed the dial pad while on calls. And of course, if you decide to do that, I am no way, shape, or form responsible if you brick the heck outta your phone, but I will gladly help fix it lol.
    HAHA... Nice "Disclamer"...

Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jerde View Post
    I have been told by a few people now that my volume on my phone is low and they can't hear me very well. I'm running 4.7.0.109 on my Storm 9530.

Has anyone heard of this before and is there a fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanepark2 View Post
    I have read in other forums that people have experienced this with .109. Not conviced it is a .109 issue. If you think it might be .109, load another OS, and see if people notice a difference. If you do, please post back your findings, as I am curious if this is valid.
    I have the suspicion that it may be device related.

I have always had great volume, no complaints.

But speaking specifically of 109, I loved it in every aspect.

That is until BBC blew it out of the water with his hybrid.
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    I have the suspicion that it may be device related.

I have always had great volume, no complaints.

But speaking specifically of 109, I loved it in every aspect.

That is until BBC blew it out of the water with his hybrid.
    When I have the time I'm going to install the .114 Hybrid and I'll get back on whether that has changed anything with the mic.

PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, Like I said, I am interested to see if there is correlation between OS and sound quality.

atieonfire is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Black Berry Storm (9530)
    OS
    4.7.0.114 HYBRID
    Liked
    0 times
    If this is any help--I've had the same issue out-of-the-box with whichever version VZW now ships with. Updates haven't done much in that aspect.

Life is cruel. :P

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by atieonfire View Post
    If this is any help--I've had the same issue out-of-the-box with whichever version VZW now ships with. Updates haven't done much in that aspect.

Life is cruel. :P
    It seems that for me it's an on and off issue. I'm going to wait for BBCman's release of his new OS, then I'll be able to see if the mic quality is any better.

Tonight I'm also going to do some sound checks on my BB Storm with my wife's phone.

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Well, after downgrading back to the .75 OS from my .109 I figured out that it is a hardware issue with the phone. Luckily I had insurance and I sent in for a new phone. I guess this isn't the first time it has happened to someone.

Klypr is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Liked
    0 times
    People were always complaining that they couldn't hear me until i figured out that I was holding the phone too low on my cheek. The mic can't pic up your voice unless you hold it above your mouth. I was used to the 8130's smaller stature and always held it more vertical from my ear. Now that I corrected that problem, everybody can hear me loud and clear.

blindman4556 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    ask
    Device
    9530/9000/8900
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Klypr View Post
    People were always complaining that they couldn't hear me until i figured out that I was holding the phone too low on my cheek. The mic can't pic up your voice unless you hold it above your mouth. I was used to the 8130's smaller stature and always held it more vertical from my ear. Now that I corrected that problem, everybody can hear me loud and clear.
    i had a similar issue at first, cause i usually hold the bottom of the phone away from my cheek more. and the plcement of the mic and where i hold my hand people say i sound muffled and somewhat quiet, put it closer and my problem was fixed

j2773 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the issue with a brand new "replacement phone" from Asurion. I called to have the phone replaced and no longer have the issue. I was told some Storms have had actual hardware issues with the microphone, and it's not OS related.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by j2773 View Post
    I had the issue with a brand new "replacement phone" from Asurion. I called to have the phone replaced and no longer have the issue. I was told some Storms have had actual hardware issues with the microphone, and it's not OS related.
    That's the good thing with insurance. If your phone is having issues just get it replaced.

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    That's the good thing with insurance. If your phone is having issues just get it replaced.
    I had my phone replaced from the insurance and the microphone volume works fine now on my new phone. It was a hardware issue which I hope has been resolved. The other known issue is the screen button going out on the phones. This is going to be resolved with a aluminum ball instead of a plastic one.