Thread: Missing 3rd Part Apps when I back them up

bklyncrack is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Missing 3rd Part Apps when I back them up

Prepairing to load .148 when I noticed that when I backed up all my 3rd party apps not all were in the backup list. The backup list shows only 19. The last backup show 46 and the one before that shows 79. I've been losing my apps in the backups but they are still on my Storm and working.
    A little history here. I did a wipe and installed .141 and when I did that none of my 3rd party apps were on the Storm, so I did a restore of the apps and they were all installed properly and working.
    Shouldn't I still be able to see all my apps in this backup?
    :banghead:

Update 1: :banana:
    Well updated to .148 without much trouble. I did run into a few items. Word to Go didn't come back, but Sheets, Slideshow & pdf to Go came back. After loading the cod files to fix QuickLaunch lost all my contacts and calendar events. Easy problem to fix tho. Just resynced contacts and calendar since I had synced them just before I started this install. All apps did show up as I can tell. Haven't tried all apps yet but will be doing that next. Phone works, emails work. Resent all service books as I always do. After that I noticed that the browser icon appeared. Didn't notice it was missing before.
    Will update this thread with more info as they happen.
    Last edited by bklyncrack; 05-21-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Update:

Storm 9530
    OS.148/Pl.181 :cool2: :dance:

Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Liked
    4 times
    Wirelessly posted

If they are coming back I wouldn't worry bout it. Dm is always buggy (4.7)

Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiefler07 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

If they are coming back I wouldn't worry bout it. Dm is always buggy (4.7)
    Yeah I guess so. Seen some weird things with DM 4.7. Hate to install .148 and have to fiddle with these apps again.
    Thanks Stief.
    Storm 9530

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bklyncrack View Post
    Prepairing to load .148 when I noticed that when I backed up all my 3rd party apps not all were in the backup list. The backup list shows only 19. The last backup show 46 and the one before that shows 79. I've been losing my apps in the backups but they are still on my Storm and working.
    A little history here. I did a wipe and installed .141 and when I did that none of my 3rd party apps were on the Storm, so I did a restore of the apps and they were all installed properly and working.
    Shouldn't I still be able to see all my apps in this backup?
    :banghead:
    If you did a recent back and attempting another one, DM will only back up the most recent apps, not all. What I do, is rename the previous back up and send it to .zip folder and then do the back up and all my 3rd party apps are backed up that way.

I wish RIM added an option to back 3rd party apps without doing the device switch wizard

Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    If you did a recent back and attempting another one, DM will only back up the most recent apps, not all. What I do, is rename the previous back up and send it to .zip folder and then do the back up and all my 3rd party apps are backed up that way.

I wish RIM added an option to back 3rd party apps without doing the device switch wizard
    So what do you do then when you have mutiple backups?
    Do you start with the oldest and work your way up the latest?
    Doesn't the backups write over each other or do they just add what's missing?
    Storm 9530

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    So what do you do then when you have mutiple backups?
    Do you start with the oldest and work your way up the latest?
    Doesn't the backups write over each other or do they just add what's missing?
    They do over write each other when you copy/paste the folders, but in the process of backing up, DM does NOT back up what's already backed up...you know what I mean? I would suggest renaming and .zipping the back up that has the most 3rd party apps (biggest in size)...then erasing all other 3rd party apps back ups and trying again.... Usually works like a charm

Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    They do over write each other when you copy/paste the folders, but in the process of backing up, DM does NOT back up what's already backed up...you know what I mean? I would suggest renaming and .zipping the back up that has the most 3rd party apps (biggest in size)...then erasing all other 3rd party apps back ups and trying again.... Usually works like a charm
    Not to beat a dead horse... I already do that but what I do is just make a folder for the date of the backup I'm doing.
    Do you think I could combine a couple of these folders into one folder to use as a restore folder of all apps?
    Storm 9530

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Not to beat a dead horse... I already do that but what I do is just make a folder for the date of the backup I'm doing.
    Do you think I could combine a couple of these folders into one folder to use as a restore folder of all apps?
    Unfortunately you cannot combine the folders....Now, when you create a folder, the DM still sees the back up...that's why I keep saying that it needs to be sent to .zip folder.

Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Unfortunately you cannot combine the folders....Now, when you create a folder, the DM still sees the back up...that's why I keep saying that it needs to be sent to .zip folder.
    So the zip folder you speak of is it just for archival purpose or is DM using this zip folder?
    Storm 9530

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    So the zip folder you speak of is it just for archival purpose or is DM using this zip folder?
    No, I always keep one "just in case." I change apps around, sometimes delete them, then reinstall

Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    No, I always keep one "just in case." I change apps around, sometimes delete them, then reinstall
    Thanks for all the info and your time. I'll take over from here.
    Storm 9530

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for all the info and your time. I'll take over from here.
    Alright, good luck!!! Let us know if you have more questions