A basic technical question: why such long boot up time?

Thread: A basic technical question: why such long boot up time?

Myronbg is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    306E2428
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    .148 v7
    Liked
    2 times

A basic technical question: why such long boot up time?

I don't understand why, after a battery pull [which fixes everything... after a couple of times], does it take a very long time to re-boot? By long I mean about the same time to start up my PC. Even loading a 3rd party app [like Audible or a game] the little wheel spins for a few seconds to start. My [old] Treo battery pulls took maybe 30 seconds max to re-boot & similar applications that started immediately. I would think that with flash memory it would be very fast, so there must be a reason for the long load times. I look forward to your many expert member answers.

Laney is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Liked
    2 times
    ive noticed that the boot up time varies by os and phone... i have had 2 different storms on i dont know how many OSs and my boot up time is in the 5 min range... but others are 2 minutes or so...

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    boot time depends on too many things, how many apps runs at start up, how much free memory the device have, OS, and some others technical things, but for sure the more apps you have the more time the boot up time will take, the less memory available the device have the more boot up time will take.

All the apps that runs in the background have some influence in the start up process too
    is the same as the computer, dont forget that now a days, the blackberries and smartphones devices are like mini computers with the availability of voice calls

just my small coloaboration
    BlackBerry by Choice!

Myronbg is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    306E2428
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    .148 v7
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    boot time depends on too many things, how many apps runs at start up, how much free memory the device have, OS, and some others technical things, but for sure the more apps you have the more time the boot up time will take, the less memory available the device have the more boot up time will take.

All the apps that runs in the background have some influence in the start up process too
    is the same as the computer, dont forget that now a days, the blackberries and smartphones devices are like mini computers with the availability of voice calls

just my small coloaboration
    My memory:
    App memory free space 44.7mb
    Device Memory 879.2 Free space 692.3
    Media Card Total 14.8 Free 12.2

I've got 3 Apps: A dictionary, Audible, & Aces Solitare

moedaddy2121 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    3057e38d
    Device
    storm 9530
    OS
    .148/v7.1
    Liked
    0 times
    i agre with Eal, by the way, just loaded .148 and mine boots up in 1 min, 50 secs.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    The other reason they can take a while is your system is kinda reconfiguring any changes made before that battery pull... thats why they are suggested to do 3 because it allows your system to at least do a quick start on each process module...and if you have ever looked at your java folder... you will understan lmao

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    .148 so far has the fastest boot up time....but just think that blackberries are like mini computers and so then need the time....I personally don't mind....

bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Myronbg
    I don't understand why, after a battery pull [which fixes everything... after a couple of times], does it take a very long time to re-boot? By long I mean about the same time to start up my PC. Even loading a 3rd party app [like Audible or a game] the little wheel spins for a few seconds to start. My [old] Treo battery pulls took maybe 30 seconds max to re-boot & similar applications that started immediately. I would think that with flash memory it would be very fast, so there must be a reason for the long load times. I look forward to your many expert member answers.
    Boot time is effected my a multitude of things. I think the OS may have the biggest influence on boot time. Every leaked OS I have installed on my phone has had a different boot time. Some better then others no doubt.and since. Unlike windows when windows opens there are still other apps opening in the background, that isn't the case with blackberrys. Everything loads before the UI comes to life and since there are a lot of things that have to load it can take awhile. The storm takes longer to load the other blackberrys and I am sure the can be contributed to the touch screen. Not positive though. Hope this helps!

statustray is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Verizon 9530 (S
    OS
    5.0.0.484 (Platform
    Liked
    0 times
    One other thing that can extend or shorten the amount of time of startups are the various databases that the Blackberry uses. For example:

1. Call logs
    2. Email(s) and email accounts
    3. Event logs
    4. SMS
    5. MMS
    6. Outbox folder for SMS, MMS, Email, etc....

The blackberry accesses all of these things at startup. So if you send/receive emails and sms', and haven't cleared out any of the emails and other databases, then it can extend out the amount of time it takes for your BB to boot up.

Regards,
    Statustray

tamara is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    30888EAE
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    That is great info! I was wondering the same thing as mine takes a long time to boot up as well. Has since I picked it up.

~t

ktklein is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal Hybrid .705 v2 (.591-based)
    Liked
    4 times
    Regardless of OS version mine has always been in the 4:30-5:15 range for bootup. Aside from Talk Lock & Buzz Me I have nothing else that starts at boot up.. While I do have quite a few apps installed (free mem ranges from low 30s to low 20s) only those two are loaded at startup. I usually purge the event log, SMS/MMS folders, Missed Calls and Call Log folders regularly as well as Browser cache, etc. and while it helps reclaim memory at times it has never decreased boot time sadly.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    The long boot up time is also due to the fact that Qualcomm's chipset is antiquated. Since VZW uses CDMA they are limited in what chip they can use. GSM providers get a whole slew of chips to choose from and depending on the clock speed typically boot up faster as they are better than what qualcomm has to offer.