Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 16

  1. #1
    asnyder's Avatar
    asnyder is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    PIN
    3048D6B0
    Device
    9530
    OS
    The newest one
    Posts
    131

    New version of an old problem??

    Receiving "unknown error" when attempting to backup device. I cleared the entire browser cache but still receive the error.

    What's my next step?

    Appreciate it.



  2. #2
    cruznthru's Avatar
    cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by asnyder View Post
    Receiving "unknown error" when attempting to backup device. I cleared the entire browser cache but still receive the error.

    What's my next step?

    Appreciate it.


    Try this:

    Go to Browser>Menu (BlackBerry Button)> Options>Cache Operations, and clear all of the tabs.

    If you continue to receive an error, open the Desktop Manager in your computer.
    In Desktop Manager, under backup/restore, go to Advanced.

    You should see a list of databases in the right box, and an empty box on the left. If you select an item on the right, and then hit the left arrow button in between the boxes, it will back it up, and it will show up on the left.

    To avoid having to do that 1 by 1, is highlight about 10 at a time and transfer them over. Eventually you will find the error, but it will be narrowed down to 10 databases, then go through individually with those 10 and find the one with the error. Then hit clear database right underneath the right box.

    Now you can go back out to the backup/restore page, and it should work.

  3. #3
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Quote Originally Posted by asnyder View Post
    Receiving "unknown error" when attempting to backup device. I cleared the entire browser cache but still receive the error.

    What's my next step?

    Appreciate it.
    Did you clear it on your phone or through DM? if you didn't try DM do the following

    1 Open Desktop Manager and plug in your phone
    2 Go to Backup and Restore
    3 Click the Advanced button
    4 Highlight Browser Data Cache under device databases
    5 click clear



  4. #4
    asnyder's Avatar
    asnyder is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    PIN
    3048D6B0
    Device
    9530
    OS
    The newest one
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtenney View Post
    Did you clear it on your phone or through DM? if you didn't try DM do the following

    1 Open Desktop Manager and plug in your phone
    2 Go to Backup and Restore
    3 Click the Advanced button
    4 Highlight Browser Data Cache under device databases
    5 click clear
    Tried it both ways. Identified the problem as "location based services" however, it's greyed out with no option to clear.

  5. #5
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Is it asking if you want to turn on "mass storage mode" in the DM? If it is, click no and continue.



  6. #6
    asnyder's Avatar
    asnyder is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    PIN
    3048D6B0
    Device
    9530
    OS
    The newest one
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    Is it asking if you want to turn on "mass storage mode" in the DM? If it is, click no and continue.
    It was, I clicked no and tried to backup. "Unknown error" again.
    This is really odd as I've backed up several times before without fail. Generally I have to clear the browser cache but that's it.

  7. #7
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Quote Originally Posted by asnyder View Post
    It was, I clicked no and tried to backup. "Unknown error" again.
    This is really odd as I've backed up several times before without fail. Generally I have to clear the browser cache but that's it.
    For giggles, did you try yes?

    and did it give you any other info, error code?

  8. #8
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Wirelessly posted (9530)

    Quote Originally Posted by asnyder
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtenney View Post
    Did you clear it on your phone or through DM? if you didn't try DM do the following

    1 Open Desktop Manager and plug in your phone
    2 Go to Backup and Restore
    3 Click the Advanced button
    4 Highlight Browser Data Cache under device databases
    5 click clear
    Tried it both ways. Identified the problem as "location based services" however, it's greyed out with no option to clear.
    From what I have found online there are two ways to get through this.

    1. Download an older or newer version of DM
    2. Skip this step and continue to back up. Everyone that's has skipped does not seem to suffer any ill effects.

    Let us know

    That's all I could find as I'm on my phone LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •