Thread: Scanned Files

caminator is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm - 9530
    Liked
    0 times

Scanned Files

Hi guys,

Question here. I have an HP OfficeJet 2840. I scan my files using that, and it auto emails to my computer as a .pdf file. When I pick up the email on my phone, it shows it as a winmail.dat file. Any suggestions as to why? My phone won't open these files, so they are useless to me on my phone. How can I stop having those files show as winmail.dat on my phone. They never do in my inbox on my computer. They are always .pdf there, like they are supposed to be.

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Do you have the Docs To Go installed on your phone? If you don't, that would be my first guess. As the storm is meant to view the PDF, Word and Excel files.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Do you have the Docs To Go installed on your phone? If you don't, that would be my first guess. As the storm is meant to view the PDF, Word and Excel files.
    Olta I am glad to see ya over here

toytooii is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Liked
    0 times
    Blackberrys can only open .pdf documents created with Adobe distiller tools.
    Depending on the scanning software being used, it's possible that a non-Adobe format .pdf file is being created. If you are able to open attached .pdf files from other sources, this may indeed be the issue.

Some have found success by uninstalling and then reinstalling Blackberry Attachment Service and being sure they resend Service Books.

The MOST LIKELY source of the winmail.dat file is from sender emailing you from Outlook in a RTF formatted email.
    winmail.dat is a creation of Outlook and a few other MS programs.
    Try attaching the same document (your problematic pdf file) to a Plain Text formatted email and see if you get it as .pdf attachment. This is a known Outlook/BB issue. If you're using Outlook, more info can be found here: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/richtext.htm

These are a few of the issues/resolutions mentioned by others reporting this problem throughout the Blackberry community.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by toytooii; 05-19-2009 at 09:53 AM.