Thread: Sim card in Argentina GSM/UMTS or Global

Joe
    Joe is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm
    Liked
    0 times

Sim card in Argentina GSM/UMTS or Global

My daughter is going to Argentina and I am trying to make it as easy as possible for her to use a local sim. I did get her an Argentina sim card and she will have to activate it when she gets to Argentina. I want her to be able to use the Argentine sim for phone calls and switch to her Verizon sim for the Global data plan. Note Verizon charges $4.99 an minute for voice calls in Argentina.
    The Question is does she have to set the options-mobile network to GSM/UMTS to use the local sim? If she puts the Verizon sim back in does she have to change the setting? Or should she leave it on Global?

cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    My daughter is going to Argentina and I am trying to make it as easy as possible for her to use a local sim. I did get her an Argentina sim card and she will have to activate it when she gets to Argentina. I want her to be able to use the Argentine sim for phone calls and switch to her Verizon sim for the Global data plan. Note Verizon charges $4.99 an minute for voice calls in Argentina.
    The Question is does she have to set the options-mobile network to GSM/UMTS to use the local sim? If she puts the Verizon sim back in does she have to change the setting? Or should she leave it on Global?

You can leave the setting on automatic, and leaving the sim in should not be an issue. be sure to have Verizon unlock her device before she leaves.
    If she has her contacts on her SIM, she will need to transfer to the phone.
    Last edited by cruznthru; 05-10-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Joe
    Device
    Storm
    Liked
    0 times
    I did get it unlocked. So she can just leave it on automatic and switch the card back and forth.
    Just for my knowledge because Argentina does not us CDMA could she just leave it set to GSM/UMTS?
    Thanks

cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    I did get it unlocked. So she can just leave it on automatic and switch the card back and forth.
    Just for my knowledge because Argentina does not us CDMA could she just leave it set to GSM/UMTS?
    Thanks
    Either way, leaving it set to Global is fine, she will have to use the Verizon SIM for data. The Argentina pre-paid will be for voice only.
    Last edited by cruznthru; 05-10-2009 at 11:00 AM.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    I will throw my two cents into the ring since I have travelled to Argentina with my Storm. First off you defintely want to get your SIM card unlocked so good going there. As cruz pointed out this will only give you voice not data.

Argentina was like a black hole for me in terms of getting my Storm to work there. And when I did get it to work it only do so if I forced it by setting it to GSM/UMTS. Cruz is right that in that Global setting should be fine but that was not the case.

I know this might help you out but since I do travel internationally quite a bit, I have learned that I need two phones. VZW for the states and T-Mobile for anywhere else. There is not better international carrier that T-mobile IMHO.

Joe
    Device
    Storm
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you use a local sim card while in Argentina for voice?
    Did you use Verizon's Global Data plan
    Sorry for all the questions. If I was going I would probably be able to play with it and make it work. My daughter is 17 and not a tech person at all, so I am trying to write a step by step instruction sheet for her.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Did you use a local sim card while in Argentina for voice?
    Did you use Verizon's Global Data plan
    Sorry for all the questions. If I was going I would probably be able to play with it and make it work. My daughter is 17 and not a tech person at all, so I am trying to write a step by step instruction sheet for her.
    No problem Joe I know the feeling.

My phone is unlocked with VZW so I am able to use a local sim cards (this is something you need to request from VZW though). Yes I did use a local sim card in Argentina for voice. I do have VZW global data plan. If you have any other questions let me know.

Joe
    Device
    Storm
    Liked
    0 times
    I did get both of our Storms unlocked. When I saw the two for one deal at Verizon I thought it was a great idea to get my daughter a Storm. I knew she was going to school for a short time in Buenos Aries and could use a global phone but I didn't realize that Verizon's voice rate was $4.99 a minute. I did get her a Personal Argentine Phone card with about a 100 minutes prepaid. I just want to make it as easy as possible for her to use it. She will have a phone card for land lines also. I guess I am just another over protective father that wants to make sure every thing will be great for her.
    This is why I like this forum, people like me can get a straight answer without all the bull.
    Thanks Again

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    I did get both of our Storms unlocked. When I saw the two for one deal at Verizon I thought it was a great idea to get my daughter a Storm. I knew she was going to school for a short time in Buenos Aries and could use a global phone but I didn't realize that Verizon's voice rate was $4.99 a minute. I did get her a Personal Argentine Phone card with about a 100 minutes prepaid. I just want to make it as easy as possible for her to use it. She will have a phone card for land lines also. I guess I am just another over protective father that wants to make sure every thing will be great for her.
    This is why I like this forum, people like me can get a straight answer without all the bull.
    Thanks Again
    Anytime. I will tell you your daughter will have a blast in Buenos Aires. It is one of my favorite cities.