snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Liked
    1 times

Battery Question

I've been reading about how a good way to improve battery life on the Storm is completely drain the battery so the battery chip will reset itself. I've let the thing run down until the radio turned off and the phone finally shut itself off.

I waited 15-20min, then plugged it into the charger and started the phone again, however even when plugged in, I can't get the radio to turn on (says not enough battery available to start the radio). So here are my questions:

1. is it normal for the radio not to run with a dead battery, even if the phone is plugged in and charging?

2. does anyone know if it sounds like I've let the battery discharge enough to reset the internal chip on the battery?

Thanks!

Laney is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Liked
    2 times
    the radio when only come back up once the battery reaches a certain percentage... i think its 10% but dont quote me.... happens to me all the time

there is a way to get it to turn back on though.... if you go to options>advanced options>wireless upgrade>check for upgrades if kinda fools the phone to turn the radio back on

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    I've been reading about how a good way to improve battery life on the Storm is completely drain the battery so the battery chip will reset itself. I've let the thing run down until the radio turned off and the phone finally shut itself off.

I waited 15-20min, then plugged it into the charger and started the phone again, however even when plugged in, I can't get the radio to turn on (says not enough battery available to start the radio). So here are my questions:

1. is it normal for the radio not to run with a dead battery, even if the phone is plugged in and charging?

2. does anyone know if it sounds like I've let the battery discharge enough to reset the internal chip on the battery?

Thanks!
    Yes it is very normal for the radio not to run after letting the battery drain until dead. Even after charging it may take a good 20 minutes for battery to charge enough for the radio to turn back on.

Yes, you did it right. If the phone shut off the internal memory should be reset.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    god i hate when you beat me jl and welcome to bbos laney

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the help everyone! I've finished charging it back to 100% and hopefully the full discharge will help with the battery life issue.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for the help everyone! I've finished charging it back to 100% and hopefully the full discharge will help with the battery life issue.
    Please do let us know if it worked out for you.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Please do let us know if it worked out for you.
    I'll run my regular routine for charging at night/use tomorrow so I'll post back...but I've got a question for you based on your info...it shows V5-132. Does that mean you're running hybrid V5 over OS 132? (I know it's off-topic but figured I'd ask rather than bugging you w a PM). Thanks!

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    I'll run my regular routine for charging at night/use tomorrow so I'll post back...but I've got a question for you based on your info...it shows V5-132. Does that mean you're running hybrid V5 over OS 132? (I know it's off-topic but figured I'd ask rather than bugging you w a PM). Thanks!
    It means I am running V5 with the SFI from 132.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok, I'm still burning 4-6% per hour after doing the full battery drain. I also just noticed a 10mb drop in memory in an hour, then another 5mb drop the next hour, and the phone was doing nothing but sitting in my holster.

I'm thinking it's time to jettison .132 and find another OS w. better battery life/memory use. Anyone have any suggestions? About the only other one I've had good success w. was .114 but I hate to go back. Seems like all I've seen with .132 is decreased battery life and increased latency on the accelerometer.

cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    Ok, I'm still burning 4-6% per hour after doing the full battery drain. I also just noticed a 10mb drop in memory in an hour, then another 5mb drop the next hour, and the phone was doing nothing but sitting in my holster.

I'm thinking it's time to jettison .132 and find another OS w. better battery life/memory use. Anyone have any suggestions? About the only other one I've had good success w. was .114 but I hate to go back. Seems like all I've seen with .132 is decreased battery life and increased latency on the accelerometer.
    Try v.5 w/141..does your battery get warm with use?.....post your 3rd party apps, and current theme
    Last edited by cruznthru; 05-09-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, I'm thinking v5/141. The weird thing is the battery doesn't get warm...it just steadily taps 4-6% per hour. The only non-core app I have running is BeWeather and it's on 30min refresh...can't imagine that's tapping it so quick.

I only did the jl_wipe/132-v4 last weekend...was hoping I could give it a while to work...does anyone know if I need to do another full jl_wipe before I do the 141/v5 upgrade? It's a really PITA to do the BES re-activation and I'm hoping if I upgrade to 141/v5 I can avoid that.

cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    Yeah, I'm thinking v5/141. The weird thing is the battery doesn't get warm...it just steadily taps 4-6% per hour. The only non-core app I have running is BeWeather and it's on 30min refresh...can't imagine that's tapping it so quick.

I only did the jl_wipe/132-v4 last weekend...was hoping I could give it a while to work...does anyone know if I need to do another full jl_wipe before I do the 141/v5 upgrade? It's a really PITA to do the BES re-activation and I'm hoping if I upgrade to 141/v5 I can avoid that.
    BerryWeather is a known battery killer..

The following post is from a user at CB

"I just downloaded the latest version of BerryWeather a few of days ago and ever since, my battery is almost dead each day by 3 or 4 PM. Nothing else has changed. Before this, I would get 2 days out of my battery and that was with WeatherBug running (doing 30 minute updates). I do have the BerryWeather set to update every 30 minutes as well. I'm going to change it to every hour and see if that helps, but I don't understand why this app would kill my battery in less than half the time WeatherBug did"

May try slowing the refresh time down...a change in OS may also help

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cruznthru View Post
    BerryWeather is a known battery killer..

The following post is from a user at CB

"I just downloaded the latest version of BerryWeather a few of days ago and ever since, my battery is almost dead each day by 3 or 4 PM. Nothing else has changed. Before this, I would get 2 days out of my battery and that was with WeatherBug running (doing 30 minute updates). I do have the BerryWeather set to update every 30 minutes as well. I'm going to change it to every hour and see if that helps, but I don't understand why this app would kill my battery in less than half the time WeatherBug did"

May try slowing the refresh time down...a change in OS may also help
    Lovely...I installed BerryWeather b/c it didn't kill the memory (which is what Weatherbugs reputation was)...guess I installed a battery killer instead...:dunce:

Oh well, I think I'm going to see if I can get a few spare hours in the morning and do the v5 install.

Do you know if I need to do a full jl_wipe or can just do the .141 install (on the computer), uninstall .132 (using Program Manager-add/remove programs), overlay the v5 hybrid (on the computer), then dump the new OS onto my Storm via Loader? Like I said, I'd prefer to avoid doing a full jl_wipe b/c that means re-doing the enterprise activation....which requires help from my BES provider (read: skeleton tech support crew on weekends).

Thanks!
    Last edited by snmemx; 05-09-2009 at 09:09 PM.

blindman4556 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    ask
    Device
    9530/9000/8900
    Liked
    1 times
    Lovely...I installed BerryWeather b/c it didn't kill the memory (which is what Weatherbugs reputation was)...guess I installed a battery killer instead...:dunce:

Oh well, I think I'm going to see if I can get a few spare hours in the morning and do the v5 install.

Do you know if I need to do a full jl_wipe or can just do the .141 install (on the computer), uninstall .132 (using Program Manager-add/remove programs), overlay the v5 hybrid (on the computer), then dump the new OS onto my Storm via Loader? Like I said, I'd prefer to avoid doing a full jl_wipe b/c that means re-doing the enterprise activation....which requires help from my BES provider.

Thanks!
    u never really need to do a full wipe. cause when u install a new os it completely installs over what u had. ive only wiped once since i have had the phone a 0 problems....its just one of those things people do and swear by and think it is necessary, but its really not

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blindman4556 View Post
    u never really need to do a full wipe. cause when u install a new os it completely installs over what u had. ive only wiped once since i have had the phone a 0 problems....its just one of those things people do and swear by and think it is necessary, but its really not
    So that explains why I installed jl and did the full wipe and not only did the post-wipe/re-install/re-activate time NOT take my memory from 40mb to 50+, it also didn't make me better looking...or taller...or younger...thanks for that feedback, that'll help to save me a bunch of time tomorrow...those in my family wishing to celebrate mothers day will appreciate my presence:08:

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    I agree to that I have only wiped once as well and never had a problem. I only wiped just to do it in case I ever needed to help someone.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    One last quick question then...do you think I should do the .141 download, then add BBCM's v5 hybrid (all on the computer first), then delete .132 (via program manager/add-remove), then dump it all on the Storm via Loader? I haven't surfed the v5 findings thread enough yet to know if there are known issues with battery life.

Thanks again for all your help!

blindman4556 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    ask
    Device
    9530/9000/8900
    Liked
    1 times
    One last quick question then...do you think I should do the .141 download, then add BBCM's v5 hybrid (all on the computer first), then delete .132 (via program manager/add-remove), then dump it all on the Storm via Loader? I haven't surfed the v5 findings thread enough yet to know if there are known issues with battery life.

if you have 132 installed on computer now then dont worry about it...install whatever v5 hybrid you want, then when you install just point it to the 132 folder instead and it will over write all the files in that folder and once you install it will say whatever hybrid you used. as far as which one, its up to you. every phone is different and some phones my like one and some like the other. but for the most part there all still good but with some little differences that an "average" user wont notice

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times

My rule of thump is never have more than one OS installed on your computer at a time. Install .141 or .132 on your pc then download and install V5 over that and put on phone.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtenney View Post
    My rule of thump is never have more than one OS installed on your computer at a time. Install .141 or .132 on your pc then download and install V5 over that and put on phone.
    I was happy with .132 until I started seeing my battery disappear. Regardless of which OS I do, I'm going to put BB Maps back on and install Weatherbug (and delete BeWeather)...slight memory drain is much less of an issue than battery drain.

I'd be curious to try .141 but don't recall if people have had any issues w. it compared to .132. The only complaints I have now (with .132) are latency in the accelerometer (and switching between programs) and battery drain.

Any suggestions on whether .141 might clear up the latency issues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast