Does anyone actually post this?
    Device
    storm2
    OS
    Always changing.....
    Liked
    0 times

firewall locked after restore

I've read all the forums that I can find and can't find a solution so hear we go....... 1st off, this IS a personal storm, not BES and not a company phone. 2nd I'm running 4.7.0.141. My situation is that the firewall is locked, which is not a big deal but is mainly annoying. I've tried using the Crackutil proogram to wipe the IT policy, which shouldn't even exist on my phone. After I run the program and select, "remove policy," the phone will show that the firewall is disabled and I'm able to enable/disable it at will. Once I hook up to DM 4.7 and restore the phone settings thats when it relocks the firewall. I'm only running a few third party apps: BigTinCan Buzzme, Facebook, Google sync, Handango, Pandora, Phone Tweak and youtube app from google. The problem happened somtime after upgrading from .75 to .141. I can't remember all the OS numbers I went through, but I used all the leaked and official OS's, none of the hybrids. The problem was also there befor loading Pandora, Youtube, and Phone Tweak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again this is not a buisness phone and I am the original owner.
    Thanks for any help

mixoplex is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    20F3C981
    Device
    OS
    5.0 -348
    Liked
    2 times

Question IT Policy

I had a similar problem. Yes the Crackutil will remove it.. But I think what happens is when you do the restore one of the databases in there puts it back on. There is a database called IT Policy, and there may be on called Handheld Configurations. I had did a manual restore myself on my phone a few databases at a time and it the lock with password thing did not come back. But then I restored some more and it did.

It is something in one of the databases that does the restore.

IT Policy
    Handheld Config
    Firewall Options
    Options

It might be one of those. Try a manual restore and do not pick those and see what happens. I do not know what one it is. It did not matter to me because I use it on BES for work and I need the pswd thing.

When I first restored the second time and it came back it comes up and asks me for new password to set.

gufemur is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Device
    storm2
    OS
    Always changing.....
    Liked
    0 times

manual restore

How do I go about choosing which items to restore. I thought I can only restore the comlete backup......

bbcrackman is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master
    PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gufemur View Post
    How do I go about choosing which items to restore. I thought I can only restore the comlete backup......
    Sounds like you have an IT policy set up in your back up. You will need to delete items from your back up to stop the policy from reloading everytime you restore.

Just go to your DM/ backup/restore and choose advanced. You will want to clear out the following;

keystores (all of them, just run through the list)
    Policy
    Handheld Config
    Firewall Options
    Options
    rim database

Then you can run your backup from there.
    Last edited by bbcrackman; 05-02-2009 at 11:39 PM.

PIN
    Device
    storm2
    OS
    Always changing.....
    Liked
    0 times

No go....

Thanks for the reply BBC. I went to advanced and cleared out the databases you told me from the right column and ran a backup. I then restored and it didn't get rid of it. Was I supposed to clear those databases from the right column/device database or the computer database? Also am I supposed to backup and then use the Crackutil to remove policy and then restore? Sorry for the many questions. Also, off subject but curious, what is the difference in OS between your hybrids and the standard OS's?

Thanks again

PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for the reply BBC. I went to advanced and cleared out the databases you told me from the right column and ran a backup. I then restored and it didn't get rid of it. Was I supposed to clear those databases from the right column/device database or the computer database? Also am I supposed to backup and then use the Crackutil to remove policy and then restore? Sorry for the many questions. Also, off subject but curious, what is the difference in OS between your hybrids and the standard OS's?

Thanks again

Try using JLcmder's "reset to factory" command to remove ALL IT policies, Firewall restrictions and Application Permission settings. Install a new OS, then backup the device using Desktop Manager, close Desktop Manager, then run JLcmder and execute the "resettofactory" command. The device will do a security wipe of the device; (meaning wipe your data but leave the OS, DO NOT use the "Wipe" command in JLcmder) then reboot leaving the OS, 3rd party apps but no data this should remove all IT policies. When you're done, now estore your backup and you should not have any IT policies or locked firewall.
    Last edited by bbcrackman; 05-03-2009 at 12:18 PM.

PIN
    20F3C981
    Device
    OS
    5.0 -348
    Liked
    2 times

Red face Try This

Thanks again
    When you do the restore you can not restore those database files that are in question as it might be the one that has the POLICY. User the crack util thing then you i think you have to might have to do a bat pull or just reset the phone and it should wipe the whole phone and remove the policy.

Then wipe the OS and wipe the filesystem.

Then reload the software

Then try that.....

Then if your are not getting the policy thing. Then you can restore with the advanced option but do not choose those databases to restore.

Basically if you repeat the same process what you did in the beginning then do the restore just don't pick those databases in question.

PIN
    Device
    storm2
    OS
    Always changing.....
    Liked
    0 times
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I'm losing my mind....... I performed another "IT policy wipe" and, like before, Firewall is gone. Went to DM and restored only contacts, calander, profile settings, BB messanger, memos, mms and sms messages, call logs and sounds. Still comes back. I didn't think to check if it's put back on just by hooking to DM. I think I'll try that. It just doesn't make any sense.

PIN
    20F3C981
    Device
    OS
    5.0 -348
    Liked
    2 times
    Unless it came down the with the profile settings.. But the profile setting should just hold ring tones, etc.. But maybe.

Did you do the manual restore and just pick those. It could be possible that you had something else selected also and did not notice.

PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    Try restoring each database one at a time and check the device after each restore. Its time consuming but this will tell you which data file is causing the issue. I would start with your contacts and go from there. Judging from the list you provided none of those should contain the IT policy.

PIN
    Device
    storm2
    OS
    Always changing.....
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Problem fixed!!!!!

OK!!!!
    Problem is finally fixed. First I performed a backup with DM. Then an IT policy removal with Crackutil. After I did that I decided to only restore the address book and messanger contacts. So, somewhere in one of those other databases or third party apps, something held the firewall policy. Thanks to mixoplex and BBC for their assistance.

PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    OK!!!!
    Problem is finally fixed. First I performed a backup with DM. Then an IT policy removal with Crackutil. After I did that I decided to only restore the address book and messanger contacts. So, somewhere in one of those other databases or third party apps, something held the firewall policy. Thanks to mixoplex and BBC for their assistance.
    Glad to hear you got ut working! Good job!

PIN
    20F3C981
    Device
    OS
    5.0 -348
    Liked
    2 times

Smile

OK!!!!
    Cool.. Those dad gummit databases.. Now you know the rest of the story.