Thread: Trouble Opening PDFs

caminator is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm - 9530
    Liked
    0 times

Trouble Opening PDFs

Hey guys,

I really need this feature to work as I get legal contracts sent to me on almost a daily basis in pdf form. I used to have no problem opening them up, but from what I can tell, since I installed .132 and BBCM v4, I am no longer able to open up pdf files on my phone.

"The attachment type cannot be viewed on your phone." I tried putting documents-to-go back onto the phone and it seemed to help with only .doc files. Even after that, I'm still unable to open pdf's. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is very critical for me. Thanks.

bbcrackman is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master
    PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by caminator View Post
    Hey guys,

I really need this feature to work as I get legal contracts sent to me on almost a daily basis in pdf form. I used to have no problem opening them up, but from what I can tell, since I installed .132 and BBCM v4, I am no longer able to open up pdf files on my phone.

"The attachment type cannot be viewed on your phone." I tried putting documents-to-go back onto the phone and it seemed to help with only .doc files. Even after that, I'm still unable to open pdf's. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is very critical for me. Thanks.
    You need to load the Blackberry attachment service to your device. It is one of the options when loading the OS. You should be able to load it through you DM. Just open the DM and click on apploader and choose the first option. It will display the OS and you can check the box to install
    Last edited by bbcrackman; 05-02-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Do you have a pdf program? I use repligo and love it

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtenney View Post
    Do you have a pdf program? I use repligo and love it
    Off topic but I noticed in your sig that you are using Aerize Card Loader. How do you like that app?

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Off topic but I noticed in your sig that you are using Aerize Card Loader. How do you like that app?
    I really like the program it has it's cons but for the most part it is a keeper for me. If you click the link in my sig I wrote a review on it. Take a look and see what you think.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    I really like the program it has it's cons but for the most part it is a keeper for me. If you click the link in my sig I wrote a review on it. Take a look and see what you think.
    Thanks will do.

Device
    Storm - 9530
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcrackman View Post
    You need to load the Blackberry attachment service to your device. It is one of the options when loading the OS. You should be able to load it through you DM. Just open the DM and click on apploader and choose the first option. It will display the OS and you can check the box to install
    I'm pretty sure I loaded the attachment service because I was thinking that might be the solution. I'll double check and make sure when I get a moment tomorrow. Thanks bbcm.

Device
    Storm - 9530
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I just checked and confirmed that I have the attachment service already installed. Still can't open .pdf files. Any other suggestions?

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Yes, I just checked and confirmed that I have the attachment service already installed. Still can't open .pdf files. Any other suggestions?
    That is odd as you should be able to open PDF's. Both Doc to Go and Repligo Reader offer free trial versions of their PDF programs. I suggest trying these out and seeing if your PDF issues get resolved and of course which one you like best.

Liked
    7 times
    Caminator I am almost positive you need a pdf reader such as repligo or beamreader? Or the full version of documents go which comes with a pdf program. Are you sure you dint have one of these programs on your last os?

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Caminator I am almost positive you need a pdf reader such as repligo or beamreader? Or the full version of documents go which comes with a pdf program. Are you sure you dint have one of these programs on your last os?

I tried finding the full VZW specs but here are the same specs for the 9500. On the bottom left hand side (scroll all the way down) it states being able to open PDF files natively.
    BlackBerry Storm 9500 - Technical Specification - Vodafone

Liked
    7 times
    I tried finding the full VZW specs but here are the same specs for the 9500. On the bottom left hand side (scroll all the way down) it states being able to open PDF files natively.
    BlackBerry Storm 9500 - Technical Specification - Vodafone
    That is strange? I was never able to open them and that is how I ended up with repligo.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    That is strange? I was never able to open them and that is how I ended up with repligo.
    I think its a conspiracy to drum up more biz for docs to go and repligo

Liked
    7 times
    I think its a conspiracy to drum up more biz for docs to go and repligo
    Lol...I agree damn corporations.

Device
    Storm - 9530
    Liked
    0 times
    I have never installed a third party app for that, and since the beginning I have been able, without problems, to view pdf documents. Until I installed .132 and v4 that is. Since that time, I haven't been able to, and it has caused me some serious headaches because of that. Even to the point that I almost lost myself $12,000 because I couldn't read it when I needed to....no joke.

Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Liked
    187 times
    BeamReader
    Free 10 day trial, $17.99 to buy is one I find.
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

nolensc is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I have never installed a third party app for that, and since the beginning I have been able, without problems, to view pdf documents. Until I installed .132 and v4 that is. Since that time, I haven't been able to, and it has caused me some serious headaches because of that. Even to the point that I almost lost myself $12,000 because I couldn't read it when I needed to....no joke.
    Have you resolved this issue? I am having the same problem. I can't open any attachments (doc, xls, pdf, jpeg, etc.) Just curious if you were able to get it to work. Thanks!

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nolensc View Post
    Have you resolved this issue? I am having the same problem. I can't open any attachments (doc, xls, pdf, jpeg, etc.) Just curious if you were able to get it to work. Thanks!
    Your phone can open all of these apps. Did you run shrink a OS?

Firstly, have u checked to make sure that when you installed your OS you added Blackberry attachment service. Also, when installing your OS there should be an option to add Docs to Go. This is a free program for Storm users and opens word docs, excel and powerpoint.

As for jpeg and pdf your phone will be open to these if you installed the blackberry attachment service. To check to see if u did go to options - advanced options - applications. Blackberry attachment service should be listed there right under system software.

toytooii is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Liked
    0 times
    Unable to View Attachments: "The attachment type cannot be viewed on your phone."

Please read completely before performing the following procedures. This has resolved the issue for several members. (second step is the clincher).

Step 1.
    On your device do: options>advanced options>applications>look for Blackberry Attachment Services (should be near top of list)>highlight it,>Blackberry button>edit default permissions >User Data> and set to "Allow" in the User Data section. Expand that User Data section and be certain everything is "Allow". Then BB button > save.
    Pull battery, reboot and give it a go.
    (note: If your settings did not require any change, no need to perform battery pull. Go to step 2 which completes with the battery pull and reboot).

Step 2.
    Send your service books. (email settings>BB button>service books>send service books)
    Upon confirmation, pull battery, reboot.

Important Note: Please send yourself a NEW email with the appropriate attachment type(s) after you have executed the above steps in order to confirm you are now able to view attachments. The attachments that you received prior to performing these steps may still gave give the error message when you try to view them. But all attachments received after the above "fix" should be viewable without any problems.

You should be good to go.
    Hope this works for you.
    Last edited by toytooii; 05-07-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: additional info provided

nolensc is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Your phone can open all of these apps. Did you run shrink a OS?

Firstly, have u checked to make sure that when you installed your OS you added Blackberry attachment service. Also, when installing your OS there should be an option to add Docs to Go. This is a free program for Storm users and opens word docs, excel and powerpoint.

As for jpeg and pdf your phone will be open to these if you installed the blackberry attachment service. To check to see if u did go to options - advanced options - applications. Blackberry attachment service should be listed there right under system software.
    I have the BB attachment service installed. Docs to Go is installed along with the PDF viewer. It is the trial version for the premium service.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast