snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Liked
    1 times

Big memory drops

Here are the specs on my phone: running OS 4.7.0.132 (platform 4.0.0.162) and have Hybrid v4 installed. During the day, the only apps running (other than standard mail/phone/browser) are quicklaunch, meterberry, and beweather. I didn't use the phone all day and had reset the phone (using meterberry) at 1am.

On startup (1:02am), I have 40.6mb of memory. At 5:41am, that dropped to 31.3mb, however the only thing I did to the phone was change the ringer from "phone only" to "normal". Well, this goes on during the day, then at 3:30pm, memory drops 10mb to ~21mb.

It's as if there are these moments where the memory will drop 7-10mb for no apparent reason.

Has anyone seen anything like this, and if so, have you found any solutions to make the memory a little more stable?

Thanks!

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    Here are the specs on my phone: running OS 4.7.0.132 (platform 4.0.0.162) and have Hybrid v4 installed. During the day, the only apps running (other than standard mail/phone/browser) are quicklaunch, meterberry, and beweather. I didn't use the phone all day and had reset the phone (using meterberry) at 1am.

On startup (1:02am), I have 40.6mb of memory. At 5:41am, that dropped to 31.3mb, however the only thing I did to the phone was change the ringer from "phone only" to "normal". Well, this goes on during the day, then at 3:30pm, memory drops 10mb to ~21mb.

It's as if there are these moments where the memory will drop 7-10mb for no apparent reason.

Has anyone seen anything like this, and if so, have you found any solutions to make the memory a little more stable?

Thanks!

Two things 1st did you do 3 physical batt pulls for 60sec's each? and 2nd when your phone sits idle the memory does drop but when u start using your phone it builds

and since you have meter berry you could remove all 3rd party apps except for meter berry and add them back one at a time and watch your memory for an hour or so, and then determine which one is the leak
    Last edited by jnepsa; 05-01-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Storm5150 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Storm5150 On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    .713 based Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    I feel your pain. One day the memory loss isn't too bad but other days with little use it drops like a rock. I dropped to 17mb yesterday having started at 41.3. No idea why it did this so I can't offer any solutions but can only let you know your not the only one. In fact while opening an email then changing to landscape I lost the email on the screen then boom, white screen and "error 523" with a "reset" word below it, that was fun, cure: take Otterbox apart and pull batt. Fixed it but I have never seen that in any leaked OS or BBC hybrid I have used.

Dear BBcrackman,

I have a memory, umm, well, uh, isht I can remember now, :1zhelp:

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    Two things 1st did you do 3 physical batt pulls for 60sec's each? and 2nd when your phone sits idle the memory does drop but when u start using your phone it builds

and since you have meter berry you could remove all 3rd party apps except for meter berry and add them back one at a time and watch your memory for an hour or so, and then determine which one is the leak
    I haven't tried the battery pulls...will do that now.

As far as 3rd party apps, if I don't start or keep an app running, does it use more memory than that consumed just in its being installed on the phone? I'd assumed that after the initial consumption from installing the app, it wouldn't use any until/unless I ran it...is that not correct?

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    I haven't tried the battery pulls...will do that now.

As far as 3rd party apps, if I don't start or keep an app running, does it use more memory than that consumed just in its being installed on the phone? I'd assumed that after the initial consumption from installing the app, it wouldn't use any until/unless I ran it...is that not correct?
    no actually it just being on the phone can hog up and leak the memory when u use it as well..i havd viigo on mine...even when not in use alll day mem would drop to 17 or less, did a batt pull and damn all better... umm yea after os upgrades always do physical batt pulls not just the reset with meter berry...it should fix u right up if not let someone know

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    no actually it just being on the phone can hog up and leak the memory when u use it as well..i havd viigo on mine...even when not in use alll day mem would drop to 17 or less, did a batt pull and damn all better... umm yea after os upgrades always do physical batt pulls not just the reset with meter berry...it should fix u right up if not let someone know
    Thanks. I've got Viigo installed but seldom use it b/c of memory issues. I just finished the 3rd pull...back up w. 40.08mb...about where it normally starts. I'll see how it trends throughout the day.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks. I've got Viigo installed but seldom use it b/c of memory issues. I just finished the 3rd pull...back up w. 40.08mb...about where it normally starts. I'll see how it trends throughout the day.

ok i would get rid of viigo its got known mem leaks and it hardly works right anyhow

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    ok i would get rid of viigo its got known mem leaks and it hardly works right anyhow
    40.2mb after yanking Viigo and doing a battery pull.

Does anyone know whether Ubertwitter is a memory drain when not running?

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    40.2 is good let it run for a few hours and see if it stays stable

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    40.2 is good let it run for a few hours and see if it stays stable
    Now at 35.4mb...all I've done is read emails and on the email side, click on "reconcile now" to synch my outlook w. the berry (could that drain the memory?).:dunno:

Also, one other symptom...I keep noticing that the phone goes from 25-30% battery down to 15-18% later in the day...typically in one move. Could that have anything to do w. the memory?

Thanks.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Now at 35.4mb...all I've done is read emails and on the email side, click on "reconcile now" to synch my outlook w. the berry (could that drain the memory?).:dunno:

Also, one other symptom...I keep noticing that the phone goes from 25-30% battery down to 15-18% later in the day...typically in one move. Could that have anything to do w. the memory?

Thanks.
    well everything you do is going to use memory its going to bounce around all day by stable it should stay within 8MB of start....what do you mean by the batt percentage like how much is left?

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    well everything you do is going to use memory its going to bounce around all day by stable it should stay within 8MB of start....what do you mean by the batt percentage like how much is left?
    I'm going to leave all apps closed during the day and will report findings...hopefully it doesn't just keep dropping.

As far as battery, right now I'm at 84% remaining...it'll probably be 65-70% by 4pm assuming I do nothing but read emails. Yesterday, I started using ubertwitter and several finance-oriented programs (wall street journal...street.com) and within 2hrs, it was down to 40% (I wasn't using it constantly, but those programs were running), then at about 8pm, it dropped from 30% to 20% in one move, then down to 15%...it was like something just started consuming the battery. It was very odd.

About the only thing I've done to tweak the phone this week is adding hybrid v4 and I've read that this improves battery life.

I'll report any big changes I see.

Thanks again for the input.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    When it gets lower it drops a lil quicker remember that there is alot to run on these...
    who is ur service provider?
    if its vzw or you run on a CDMA network
    go into manage connections>mobile network options > change global to 1XEV if you dont travel global its a waste of battery and it does make a huge difference in batt comsumption

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    When it gets lower it drops a lil quicker remember that there is alot to run on these...
    who is ur service provider?
    if its vzw or you run on a CDMA network
    go into manage connections>mobile network options > change global to 1XEV if you dont travel global its a waste of battery and it does make a huge difference in batt comsumption
    Verizon. Holy crap, I just realized that after upgrading my OS (last week), then adding hybrid v4, my network option had defaulted back to GLOBAL (I'd done the 1XEV before the OS update). Switched it back to 1XEV now...thanks a bunch for pointing that out.:arms:

Wasn't there another option having to do w. the memory saver that needs to be disabled...seems like I saw someone mention that on another thread?

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Also, do you need the Email Setup Application if you're running a BES? I ran shrink-a-os after the OS upgrade but left that b/c I wasn't sure if it was needed...just noticed it in my application list.

gatewayad is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow gatewayad On Twitter
    Device
    9530/Droid
    Liked
    0 times
    I wouldnt worry about the memory drop to much unless it drains below 12mb or so daily, then you may want to start deleting apps and try and figure which one is the cause, with weatherbug make sure you set the location manually and set it to update every 2 or 4 hours, I got rid of it but will be putting it back on i just dont like any of the other free weather apps. I can start the day at about 38.5 and lose about 8 mb in the first 3 hours or so on 142 it has not gone below 20 in the last 24 hours. if its draining much more than that you may want to see what app is kicking on and maybe doing random updates the drop is coming from somewhere, plus you shouldnt have any function issues as in clock rotating more and lag time to open apps untill it gets in the mid teens or lower. I make sure and do a quick pull daily.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Verizon. Holy crap, I just realized that after upgrading my OS (last week), then adding hybrid v4, my network option had defaulted back to GLOBAL (I'd done the 1XEV before the OS update). Switched it back to 1XEV now...thanks a bunch for pointing that out.:arms:

Wasn't there another option having to do w. the memory saver that needs to be disabled...seems like I saw someone mention that on another thread?
    i wouldnt do anymore for now let it settle in and get cozy before you piss it of lmao...that should do u pretty good IMHO i did the 1XEV and use the phone alot and run good

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    59% battery
    30.3mb free

Seems to have stabilized but it sure seems like the battery is draining fast given that it's pretty much been sitting on my desk unused all day.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    59% battery
    30.3mb free

Seems to have stabilized but it sure seems like the battery is draining fast given that it's pretty much been sitting on my desk unused all day.

here is another 'trick' to try that i have read through the forums somewhere...let you phone. die all the way then fully recharge...do youhave any app's that update? like viigo does?

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    here is another 'trick' to try that i have read through the forums somewhere...let you phone. die all the way then fully recharge...do youhave any app's that update? like viigo does?
    I just ran shrink-a-os on it again to see if all the upgrade to hybrid v4 added something back. I'm going to leave it to run all day...it was at 10% battery when I put it on the charger last night...perhaps it will officially die later today. If it does, I'm going to wipe it completely and reinstall the OS...since upgrading the OS, it hasn't been running as smoothly, and w. the battery/memory leaks, I'm thinking the install may not have gone correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast