Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 26

  1. #1
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216

    Big memory drops

    Here are the specs on my phone: running OS 4.7.0.132 (platform 4.0.0.162) and have Hybrid v4 installed. During the day, the only apps running (other than standard mail/phone/browser) are quicklaunch, meterberry, and beweather. I didn't use the phone all day and had reset the phone (using meterberry) at 1am.

    On startup (1:02am), I have 40.6mb of memory. At 5:41am, that dropped to 31.3mb, however the only thing I did to the phone was change the ringer from "phone only" to "normal". Well, this goes on during the day, then at 3:30pm, memory drops 10mb to ~21mb.

    It's as if there are these moments where the memory will drop 7-10mb for no apparent reason.

    Has anyone seen anything like this, and if so, have you found any solutions to make the memory a little more stable?

    Thanks!



  2. #2
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    Here are the specs on my phone: running OS 4.7.0.132 (platform 4.0.0.162) and have Hybrid v4 installed. During the day, the only apps running (other than standard mail/phone/browser) are quicklaunch, meterberry, and beweather. I didn't use the phone all day and had reset the phone (using meterberry) at 1am.

    On startup (1:02am), I have 40.6mb of memory. At 5:41am, that dropped to 31.3mb, however the only thing I did to the phone was change the ringer from "phone only" to "normal". Well, this goes on during the day, then at 3:30pm, memory drops 10mb to ~21mb.

    It's as if there are these moments where the memory will drop 7-10mb for no apparent reason.

    Has anyone seen anything like this, and if so, have you found any solutions to make the memory a little more stable?

    Thanks!

    Two things 1st did you do 3 physical batt pulls for 60sec's each? and 2nd when your phone sits idle the memory does drop but when u start using your phone it builds

    and since you have meter berry you could remove all 3rd party apps except for meter berry and add them back one at a time and watch your memory for an hour or so, and then determine which one is the leak
    Last edited by jnepsa; 05-01-2009 at 07:27 AM.

  3. #3
    Storm5150's Avatar
    Storm5150 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Storm5150 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boynton Beach,FL
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    .713 based Hybrid
    Posts
    446
    I feel your pain. One day the memory loss isn't too bad but other days with little use it drops like a rock. I dropped to 17mb yesterday having started at 41.3. No idea why it did this so I can't offer any solutions but can only let you know your not the only one. In fact while opening an email then changing to landscape I lost the email on the screen then boom, white screen and "error 523" with a "reset" word below it, that was fun, cure: take Otterbox apart and pull batt. Fixed it but I have never seen that in any leaked OS or BBC hybrid I have used.

    Dear BBcrackman,

    I have a memory, umm, well, uh, isht I can remember now, :1zhelp:



  4. #4
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    Two things 1st did you do 3 physical batt pulls for 60sec's each? and 2nd when your phone sits idle the memory does drop but when u start using your phone it builds

    and since you have meter berry you could remove all 3rd party apps except for meter berry and add them back one at a time and watch your memory for an hour or so, and then determine which one is the leak
    I haven't tried the battery pulls...will do that now.

    As far as 3rd party apps, if I don't start or keep an app running, does it use more memory than that consumed just in its being installed on the phone? I'd assumed that after the initial consumption from installing the app, it wouldn't use any until/unless I ran it...is that not correct?

  5. #5
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    I haven't tried the battery pulls...will do that now.

    As far as 3rd party apps, if I don't start or keep an app running, does it use more memory than that consumed just in its being installed on the phone? I'd assumed that after the initial consumption from installing the app, it wouldn't use any until/unless I ran it...is that not correct?
    no actually it just being on the phone can hog up and leak the memory when u use it as well..i havd viigo on mine...even when not in use alll day mem would drop to 17 or less, did a batt pull and damn all better... umm yea after os upgrades always do physical batt pulls not just the reset with meter berry...it should fix u right up if not let someone know



  6. #6
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    no actually it just being on the phone can hog up and leak the memory when u use it as well..i havd viigo on mine...even when not in use alll day mem would drop to 17 or less, did a batt pull and damn all better... umm yea after os upgrades always do physical batt pulls not just the reset with meter berry...it should fix u right up if not let someone know
    Thanks. I've got Viigo installed but seldom use it b/c of memory issues. I just finished the 3rd pull...back up w. 40.08mb...about where it normally starts. I'll see how it trends throughout the day.

  7. #7
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    Thanks. I've got Viigo installed but seldom use it b/c of memory issues. I just finished the 3rd pull...back up w. 40.08mb...about where it normally starts. I'll see how it trends throughout the day.

    ok i would get rid of viigo its got known mem leaks and it hardly works right anyhow

  8. #8
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    ok i would get rid of viigo its got known mem leaks and it hardly works right anyhow
    40.2mb after yanking Viigo and doing a battery pull.

    Does anyone know whether Ubertwitter is a memory drain when not running?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •