Thread: tabbed browsing on a bb

teostar is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow teostar On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    1015/latest hybrid
    Liked
    9 times

tabbed browsing on a bb

I read in the 8900 thread that there is a OS that allows them tabbed browsing. Is there any for 9530 or a hybrid allows this?
    Posted via mobile device

Bugly is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Bugly On Twitter
    PIN
    307959E6
    Device
    Antique 9530
    OS
    Whatever works today
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't remember which one it was last summer, but it was fraught with other bugs and was superseded by better, faster, more reliable OS's. We may see more of that kind of stuff in later builds, though. I'm sure its still on the table.
    Have you ever wondered why things intended to make our lives simpler keep getting more complicated to use?

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Tabbed browsing isn't as great as you would think. Not until bb upgrades their browser. It actually made it almost useless.
    Posted via mobile device

travisn000 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    --304E1F01--
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    There were some comments by a user demo'ing an early storm 3 awhile ago that suggested a new much faster browser is on the way... appearently it will have tabbed browsing and flash support.

mfg:

http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...tml#post172059

horseshoe is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    storm 9530
    Liked
    0 times
    I find Opera mini has tabbed browsing that works once you are used to that OS.

PIN
    307959E6
    Device
    Antique 9530
    OS
    Whatever works today
    Liked
    0 times
    Tabbed browsing is ok if you want to review several pages at once, but it does allocate a lot of memory to each page and can slow down your internet experience. I prefer to go one page at a time and bookmark those I feel are important to me. Tabbed browsing, IMHO, should be left to your laptop or desktop machine until such a time arises that we have handheld devices that are capable of handling a lot of memory dependent issues at once.
    Have you ever wondered why things intended to make our lives simpler keep getting more complicated to use?

SJSU159120 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow SJSU159120 On Twitter
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugly View Post
    Tabbed browsing is ok if you want to review several pages at once, but it does allocate a lot of memory to each page and can slow down your internet experience. I prefer to go one page at a time and bookmark those I feel are important to me. Tabbed browsing, IMHO, should be left to your laptop or desktop machine until such a time arises that we have handheld devices that are capable of handling a lot of memory dependent issues at once.
    I semi-agree with what you are saying about tabbed browsing. It seems like a cool feature but not overly useful on a mobile device. Usually when I use the internet on my phone it is just to look up some information real quick. I use Opera Mini which does have tabbed browsing, but I have actually only used the tabbed feature 1 or 2 times.

PIN
    307959E6
    Device
    Antique 9530
    OS
    Whatever works today
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I think it is more useful on a "tablet" or notebook, as the screens are larger and they have more memory to work with. On a smartphone, it is as you mentioned, mostly to look something up quickly and not as a full-featured internet experience. why else would there be "mobile" versions of web pages?

happystormuser is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    storm 1
    Liked
    0 times
    I semi agree as well but if the phones had more memory I think the tab function would be better. I actually use the tab function on opera a lot and I like it.
    Posted via mobile device

PIN
    307959E6
    Device
    Antique 9530
    OS
    Whatever works today
    Liked
    0 times
    That was mainly my point, the devices don't have the processing power nor the memory to perform well in a tabbed browsing environment. If they could do these things, I think RIM or the carriers would have included tabbed browsing in the OS.

purakrisna is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow purakrisna On Twitter
    Device
    Javelin 8900
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    So there's no tabs browsing in BB OS 5.0.0.461 yet ? I installed the new OS 5.0.0.461 for my Javelin, and still there's no tab in the native browser... so where the multitab browser everyone talk about ???

sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by purakrisna View Post
    So there's no tabs browsing in BB OS 5.0.0.461 yet ? I installed the new OS 5.0.0.461 for my Javelin, and still there's no tab in the native browser... so where the multitab browser everyone talk about ???
    I think RIM had issues with it, so that feature never made it into the official releases. Plus now RIM is focuses on a WebKit based browser.

purakrisna is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow purakrisna On Twitter
    Device
    Javelin 8900
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    I think RIM had issues with it, so that feature never made it into the official releases. Plus now RIM is focuses on a WebKit based browser.

Oh so that's why I can't find any Tab option on the Browser Menu, now its clear for me that the MultiTabs browser issue just a RIM's plans that never come true... Thanks for the answer !!!!