307959E6
    Device
    Antique 9530
    OS
    Whatever works today
    Liked
    0 times

Just curious

How many of you out there are still on your first Storm1? I have had mine since may and have had no problems (short of software), and I'm seeing plenty of posts where there have been multiple returns and warranty issues with this device.
    My g/f and I have had the same device since May and neither of us has had problems with them. Is it possible this device is just not suited to certain people's lifestyles, or is it luck?
    I'm asking this mainly because there are many devices that have had a bad reputation for either breaking or failing in some way. An example is my last phone, a Motorola RAZR V3m. I never had the battery problems everybody else claimed, maybe it is because I plugged it it every night? The flip never got loose or broke in any way, maybe I lead a charmed life.
    What are your thoughts on this? I'm curious as to who still has their first Storm1 still working after several months....

Have you ever wondered why things intended to make our lives simpler keep getting more complicated to use?

Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Liked
    19 times
    Well, technically I still have my 1st Storm. My wife is using it now after I upgraded to a S2. But it is still working great. I actually miss the click on the S1. Makes me sad everytime I pick up my wifes phone now. My original S1 from Jan 09 has been a trooper. Fantastic little phone indeed.
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    Mine is working great, too - but it is only 3m old now ...knocking on wood

boogeeman69 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    OS
    5.0.0.238 / 415
    Liked
    0 times
    Still on my first since March 09. Although I am about to test drive an Eris me thinks!

Marsh511 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    To be honest, I'm very happy with my Storm 1 right now. Both my wife and I got Storm 1's on launch day (Nov 22, 2009), and yes, the first few months were a struggle. Somehow, RIM and Verizon have incrementally 'fixed' most of my gripes, and the Storm now fits like a well-worn pair of gloves. My gripes are with the Verizon signals in my neighborhood, and the only thing that would improve that is not a new Verizon device, but a switch to another carrier (which we're still contemplating, except we are moving in the next 4-5 months!). That said, upgrading my Storm to .419 last week seemed to worsen my data signals, so I'm a little irritated by that, but once again, I think if Verizon's signals were better, I wouldn't have any complaints. Whenever I'm on a trip, I'm just amazed at how snappy and responsive the Storm 1 is!

I've resisted upgrading to the Storm 2...mainly because I'm still not sure about the Verizon signals...and the lure of something like the HTC Passion still beckons. I think it's just the 'boredom factor' of not having a flashy new toy that keeps me lookiing, but the Storm 1 is working just fine for me.

If the rumored Storm 3 has a chance of being released this year, I'll be all over it!

raulwelder is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    30D5842B
    Device
    storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Me and my wife have had our storms since February and have had no problems with it we only update official Verizon os and have had no poblems with it thank god but I have to addmit I'm am thinking about droid we`ll see

kpedro is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    419/436 hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm also on my first storm and haven't had any major issues with it. A little bit of dust at one corner of the screen but liveable. I've had mine since February 09.

MJKneuro is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    9530/ HTC Incredible
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Running fine here since 1/09 with no hardware complaints. I like the click screen and have had no problems with it. Running on .419 it is a pleasure to use. Thinking I will skip Storm 2 and wait for 3 - No rush here.
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

toytooii is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Liked
    0 times
    Have had my original Storm 1 (Verizon) since December '08 and no problems (other than the numerous OS). Currently running .328 and am 99% satisfied. Never had any of the physical problems like dust or click issues. Battery has held up well. I also previously had a Razor VC3 which was without any problems.

Marsh511 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    When you went from .328 to .419, did you find that your overall data reception and speed got slower/weaker? This happened to my Storm, to the point where I'm ready to re-install .328. I wonder if .419 isn't "tuned" to Verizon's signals as well, since it wasn't a VZW-sanctioned release.

Quote Originally Posted by MJKneuro View Post
    Running fine here since 1/09 with no hardware complaints. I like the click screen and have had no problems with it. Running on .419 it is a pleasure to use. Thinking I will skip Storm 2 and wait for 3 - No rush here.

MJKneuro is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    9530/ HTC Incredible
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsh511 View Post
    When you went from .328 to .419, did you find that your overall data reception and speed got slower/weaker? This happened to my Storm, to the point where I'm ready to re-install .328. I wonder if .419 isn't "tuned" to Verizon's signals as well, since it wasn't a VZW-sanctioned release.
    I did not appreciate any deterioration in signal strength or data transmission after going from V10 to .419. I'm in the DC region.
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

jlyons is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow jlyons On Twitter
    PIN
    306796D0
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Storm 1

I've had my Storm 1 since November of 08 (launch date) I have abused it to no end with every update possible and with 328 and now 419 - I'm very satisfied and plan to stay here until the bugs get out of the newer Droids. I got my wife and daughter the HTC Eris and have played with those for the last couple of months and the e-mail doesn't even come close to Blackberry - and for what I use the Storm for in business - that is a deal breaker for me. On the other hand - my daughter is from the new generation and she is as hooked on her Eris as I am the Storm - keep in mind she is a SR in college and hasn't had to put it to the business use test yet - so we'll see what happens upon graduation to the real world !!

Hanging Strong with my Storm 1 - Happy New Year ALL !!
    Last edited by jlyons; 12-29-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Bugly is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Bugly On Twitter
    PIN
    307959E6
    Device
    Antique 9530
    OS
    Whatever works today
    Liked
    0 times
    Good to see there are more out there than just myself. I was starting to think I was some kind of oddball without hardware problems. My boss has been through several devices and has had problems with all of them, I'm starting to think it's a matter of how you handle them and take care not to misuse them. JMHO, of course.
    If there was ever a "proving ground" for how tough a device is, it would be where I work. I am an auto mechanic and keep my 'berry in my work pants pocket while at work. I get pretty banged up during the day and there have been times I thought my phone was going to be broken when I pulled it out of my pocket, but it held up famously so far... *finding the nearest wood object and knocking...*
    Last edited by Bugly; 12-29-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    Have you ever wondered why things intended to make our lives simpler keep getting more complicated to use?

bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I really can't say I have had that many problems with my S1. When I first got it, over a year ago, I had to have it replace bc I cracked the screen. But other than that it has been real good for me. In fact, as the OS gets better the device performs better!!!

Hairy is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    I got my S1 in early January '09 and never had any of the problems folks were cursed with. As time has passed, I've been keeping my fingers crossed to not have it die, given the referb would probably be in the lemon category misery loves! I figure that's why I didn't get any email or snail mail offers from Verizon. I've never filed a complaint. From the wear and tear department - mine has had way more than it's share of drops, squeezes, wedged-in experiences during it's lifetime and has been as reliable as any phone I've owned! Played with the new ones when they came out and saw the offers people were getting, but with the latest hybrid I couldn't be more satisfied. I know, I know...I just don't know what I'm missing.....ya think?!? (wifi would be nice)
    Last edited by Hairy; 12-31-2009 at 12:30 PM.
    A D D...I don't understand what peop- Look, a cat!!!
    4.7.0.075 >>>.109 >>>.141 >>>.151/BBC8.5 >>>5.0.0.328/V10 >>>5.0.0.428/Lyricidal

Atomic.18 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Ask me.
    Device
    Storm2 952
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    im still on my very first storm since Dec.08

I believe its Luck, many users complain about this issue and problems as you said, i agree. I joined the forums for a reason to get involved..

The only problem i had was the OS 4.7 an first official release of 5.0 which SUCKED ass!! i hated it, made me not like my storm so much. but ever since .419 released. ive been so happy. Happy new years. 2010.
    Last edited by Atomic.18; 01-03-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added the word "this"