How do I use me Blackberry Storm as a modem for my laptop?
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: How do I use me Blackberry Storm as a modem for my laptop?

  1. #1
    rufunky is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    184
    Liked
    0 times

    Question How do I use me Blackberry Storm as a modem for my laptop?

    How do I use me Blackberry Storm as a modem for my laptop?

    What extra hardware will I need?




  2. #2
    tallon's Avatar
    tallon is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    storm
    OS
    .113
    Posts
    35
    Liked
    0 times
    you just need your usb cable then pay VZW for the service....
    check out.... Tethered modem - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    Last edited by tallon; 04-17-2009 at 01:54 PM.

  3. #3
    gatewayad's Avatar
    gatewayad is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow gatewayad On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Device
    9530/Droid
    Posts
    567
    Liked
    0 times
    Check out this site, no monthly cost, but beware, even though you think you may be on an unlimited plan, if you teather too much you may get charged from your carrier
    TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere

  4. #4
    bdube's Avatar
    bdube is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow bdube On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lubbock, TX aka Texa
    PIN
    all u gott
    Device
    VZW Storm 9530
    OS
    Changes too often to
    Posts
    518
    Liked
    0 times
    i always use tetherberry on trips, works great

  5. #5
    rufunky is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    184
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the heads up..If the plan says Unlimited Data how can it not be unlimited though?

    I just talked to a Verizon rep and he was trying to sell me the $15 a month tethering package.

    Is the $59.99 for the tetherberry software or for there service?

    Quote Originally Posted by bdube View Post
    i always use tetherberry on trips, works great
    I also have Verizon..
    Have you ever got charged additional fees?
    Last edited by rufunky; 04-17-2009 at 05:08 PM.

  6. #6
    cruznthru's Avatar
    cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rufunky View Post
    Thanks for the heads up..If the plan says Unlimited Data how can it not be unlimited though?

    I just talked to a Verizon rep and he was trying to sell me the $15 a month tethering package.

    Is the $59.99 for the tetherberry software or for there service?



    I also have Verizon..
    Have you ever got charged additional fees?
    TeatherBerry, VZ Caps at 5gb, unless your streaming video, you should be ok... You can PM sandyscandles here, I'm sure she'd give you the inside info on how it works.
    Last edited by cruznthru; 04-17-2009 at 07:34 PM.

  7. #7
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    188 times
    yeah, 5gb is what I heard too. But in regards to that I heard it is tough to exceed the limit.

    Just monitor your usage
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  8. #8
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    yeah, 5gb is what I heard too. But in regards to that I heard it is tough to exceed the limit.

    Just monitor your usage
    I have actually heard lot of people have went over the 5gb pretty easy, but i have never tethered so i dont know how quick it all adds up

  9. #9
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiefler07 View Post
    I have actually heard lot of people have went over the 5gb pretty easy, but i have never tethered so i dont know how quick it all adds up
    5gb is the cap from verizon...they say unlimited but really it is 5gb. then they charge.
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  10. #10
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    5gb is the cap from verizon...they say unlimited but really it is 5gb. then they charge.
    And they dont charge easy either, there was a person complaining on CB that he had more then a $1,000. Thats to crazy. But as you guys have mentioned, if someone would regulate their usage, they should/will be fine

  11. #11
    rufunky is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    184
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the responses ..

    I just talked to a Verizon VZaccess Rep and this is what he said:

    The title "unlimited" stems from there old network
    $29.99 gives you 2GB (basic data plan)
    $44.99 gives you 5GB (there tethering data plan )
    $1.99 per MB when you go over

    So if you only have the basic data plan I would not advise you go over 2GB.

    Does anyone know if teherberry has a feature to monitor data usage?

  12. #12
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rufunky View Post
    Thanks for all the responses ..

    I just talked to a Verizon VZaccess Rep and this is what he said:

    The title "unlimited" stems from there old network
    $29.99 gives you 2GB (basic data plan)
    $44.99 gives you 5GB (there tethering data plan )
    $1.99 per MB when you go over

    So if you only have the basic data plan I would not advise you go over 2GB.

    Does anyone know if teherberry has a feature to monitor data usage?
    you can monitor your usage through your account in verizon's site.

    not sure if you can monitor it through the app
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  13. #13
    Shane's Avatar
    Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pa
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Posts
    1,626
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rufunky View Post
    Thanks for all the responses ..

    I just talked to a Verizon VZaccess Rep and this is what he said:

    The title "unlimited" stems from there old network
    $29.99 gives you 2GB (basic data plan)
    $44.99 gives you 5GB (there tethering data plan )
    $1.99 per MB when you go over

    So if you only have the basic data plan I would not advise you go over 2GB.

    Does anyone know if teherberry has a feature to monitor data usage?
    I had the tetherberry beta. It had a data usage screen that displayed what you used. I'm not certian, but I believe they were incorporating a gb usage timer in the release version.

  14. #14
    rufunky is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    184
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    you can monitor your usage through your account in verizon's site.
    Hmmmm.. That would make a good app for the storm.. An app that monitors and lists all your Verizon Minutes Messages and Data usage with the ability to set alarms for overage.
    Last edited by rufunky; 04-17-2009 at 10:59 PM.

  15. #15
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    188 times
    true, but i don't think you would reach 5gb ever unless you were on it 12hrs a day
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  16. #16
    rufunky is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    184
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    true, but i don't think you would reach 5gb ever unless you were on it 12hrs a day
    I only have the $29.99 2GB (basic data plan).
    Still would be tough to hit that limit if you stick to just web surfing.

  17. #17
    Shane's Avatar
    Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pa
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Posts
    1,626
    Liked
    0 times
    Take it for what its worth. but I followed the initial release of Tetherberry on CB. There were a few posters in that thread that used the other tethering app (name eludes me right now). It is the same concept as tetherbery though. These posters claim that they have tethered and used there BB to download movies, music, and other torrent related files with no additional charge from Verizon. Heck, one guy claimed to tether his BB to plat online games on his X-box 360.

  18. #18
    Shane's Avatar
    Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pa
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Posts
    1,626
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rufunky View Post
    I only have the $29.99 2GB (basic data plan).
    Still would be tough to hit that limit if you stick to just web surfing.
    I believe what your saying, but I don't buy Verizon's Rep claim of the 2gb. theory. I would link you the original thread at CB, but its like 100 pages and only 20 of them are actually info.

  19. #19
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanepark2 View Post
    Take it for what its worth. but I followed the initial release of Tetherberry on CB. There were a few posters in that thread that used the other tethering app (name eludes me right now). It is the same concept as tetherbery though. These posters claim that they have tethered and used there BB to download movies, music, and other torrent related files with no additional charge from Verizon. Heck, one guy claimed to tether his BB to plat online games on his X-box 360.
    Thats crazy, but hey if it works and not getting charged, go for it! Lol

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •