Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times

Device memory vs App Memory

Why do we have so much available device memory , while our APP memory is so limited , this doesnt make sense , is it possible to give some of the device memory to have more APP memory , actually im sure if it could be done it would of by now , but is it somehting that is software related to where it can be fixed in upcoming OS's ?

BOOMER SOONER

blackberryjoel is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    private
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    It is softwear related and it dosent make sence. Hopfuly they do fix it I don't know what they were thinking.

jpking is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow jpking On Twitter
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooner33 View Post
    Why do we have so much available device memory , while our APP memory is so limited , this doesnt make sense , is it possible to give some of the device memory to have more APP memory , actually im sure if it could be done it would of by now , but is it somehting that is software related to where it can be fixed in upcoming OS's ?
    Never really thought of this, but that'd be great if they could do that! With 8 to 16 GB of card memory for pics, videos, etc. we could dedicate a lot more device memory toward app memory.

Sooner33 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jpking View Post
    Never really thought of this, but that'd be great if they could do that! With 8 to 16 GB of card memory for pics, videos, etc. we could dedicate a lot more device memory toward app memory.
    i know look at your phone

App memory is 50.2 which is good

device memory is total : 879.3 and free is 847.4MB , it says i have 99% free , i mean whats the point of having all that free device memory , what the hell is it for ?
    BOOMER SOONER

skeletallightning is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    is there any way to play around with this, or would making this possible be entirely up to rim?
    i would turn it all in for late nights and impossible dreams.

PIN
    Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletallightning View Post
    is there any way to play around with this, or would making this possible be entirely up to rim?

someone on another site just said the device memory is like hard drive space, so you cant turn that into memory
    BOOMER SOONER

Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    someone on another site just said the device memory is like hard drive space, so you cant turn that into memory
    So I guess Device memory is like a hard drive & App memory is like RAM on your computer. If this is the case, then it'd be impossible to use device mem as app mem. That sucks! ...unless someone knows something I don't.

PIN
    Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jpking View Post
    So I guess Device memory is like a hard drive & App memory is like RAM on your computer. If this is the case, then it'd be impossible to use device mem as app mem. That sucks! ...unless someone knows something I don't.
    well i just got this reply from someone , check it out , i wish crackman or someone who knows would validate this

"App memory" (memory is a bit of a misnomer in these instances, but hey), means the available space for Application installation. When you install an app, the bulk of it (at least the executable parts), get installed in "App memory." Aside from this, the OS uses the app memory as a swap file to temporarily store data not held in RAM (usually if the program is idle), which is why the App Memory number fluctuates.

Device memory is the total amount of on board storage space. Neither of these are "RAM", don't get them confused.

The BB OS takes a chunk of the total device memory and allocates it as App memory. Our phones are advertised as having 1 gig of onboard memory, this is correct but ~128 megs of that is set aside specifically for Apps. Think of it like if you partitioned your hard drive and used C: for application installations, and D: for storage.

Yes, it is possible for more to be allocated, but it must be done in a firmware (OS) update, to my knowledge there's nothing an end user can do.

BTW, the system was setup like this for security reasons
    BOOMER SOONER

PIN
    Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    you guys there is a great thread about this that ( cough cough ) i started

look Device memory VS. App Memory - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

has some really good insight
    BOOMER SOONER

skeletallightning is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for the explanation! still a bummer that end users can't really tinker with it. hopefully it's something that rim is working on in their top secret os projects.

is there something like a system bios on blackberries where a user could maybe repartition the space? or is that what you were saying is blocked off for security purposes?
    i would turn it all in for late nights and impossible dreams.

cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    Just FYI,

Internal Memory: 128 MB ROM/192 MB RAM (Actually MiB RAM)
    External Memory: microSD slot
    1GB of internal memory, an included 8GB memory card and an expandable microSD™ slot to store images, music, videos and presentations

Random access memory (usually known by its acronym, RAM) is a form of computer data storage. Today it takes the form of integrated circuits that allows the stored data to be accessed in any order (i.e., at random). The word random thus refers to the fact that any piece of data can be returned in a constant time, regardless of its physical location and whether or not it is related to the previous piece of data.

This contrasts with storage mechanisms such as tapes, magnetic discs and optical discs, which rely on the physical movement of the recording medium or a reading head. In these devices, the movement takes longer than the data transfer, and the retrieval time varies depending on the physical location of the next item.

The word RAM is mostly associated with volatile types of memory (such as DRAM memory modules), where the information is lost after the power is switched off. However, many other types of memory are RAM as well (i.e., Random Access Memory), including most types of ROM and a kind of flash memory called NOR-Flash.
    Last edited by cruznthru; 04-17-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: MiB RAM

PIN
    Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    im not sure , thats why i am asking people who are more knowledgeable than me
    BOOMER SOONER

Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    well i just got this reply from someone , check it out , i wish crackman or someone who knows would validate this

"App memory" (memory is a bit of a misnomer in these instances, but hey), means the available space for Application installation. When you install an app, the bulk of it (at least the executable parts), get installed in "App memory." Aside from this, the OS uses the app memory as a swap file to temporarily store data not held in RAM (usually if the program is idle), which is why the App Memory number fluctuates.

Device memory is the total amount of on board storage space. Neither of these are "RAM", don't get them confused.

The BB OS takes a chunk of the total device memory and allocates it as App memory. Our phones are advertised as having 1 gig of onboard memory, this is correct but ~128 megs of that is set aside specifically for Apps. Think of it like if you partitioned your hard drive and used C: for application installations, and D: for storage.

Yes, it is possible for more to be allocated, but it must be done in a firmware (OS) update, to my knowledge there's nothing an end user can do.

Nice! This explains it all pretty well. The device mem is the total amount of memory on the device, including app mem, which is just part of that 1GB total. Wish RIM would double the 128MB set aside specifically for apps (app memory) to 256MB. This would still leave 600+ MB of device memory that we don't use anyway.

PIN
    Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times

Seriously check out the link in the post up a few , there is some really good back and forth , i recommend everyone to check it out and chime in , i am really interested in this
    BOOMER SOONER

cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    Don't know if you've seen the chipset yet.

http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...pset-info.html

ROM:type: Flash EEPROM
    ROM_capacity: 1152 MiB
    RAM;type: mobile DDR SDRAM
    RAM-capacity: 192 MiB
    Last edited by cruznthru; 04-17-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Liked
    189 times

This is accurate...we have been bitching about this from the beginning, wanting more app memory free.

It is a wish of most to have an update that will allocate memory from the rest of the devices 1gb memory.
    The phone would crank if we could just get the access
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

bmerdinian is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    ask
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    .186 TELUS Official
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    This is accurate...we have been bitching about this from the beginning, wanting more app memory free.

It is a wish of most to have an update that will allocate memory from the rest of the devices 1gb memory.
    The phone would crank if we could just get the access
    Aerize Card Loader 2008 - Premium BlackBerry Utility Software

use this it will free up the app memory

bbcrackman is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master
    PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bmerdinian View Post

Nice B, thanks

Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bmerdinian View Post

i'll check it out, thanks

what do you find the improvement was for you?
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

PIN
    Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    looks cool i will have to check it out , i wonder why they havnt done it yet then ( meaning RIM )
    BOOMER SOONER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast