Blackberry Tethering questions.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackberry Tethering questions.....

Johnny-5 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Constantly Changing so lost track!?!
    Liked
    0 times

Blackberry Tethering questions.....

Ok Im about to ditch the $15 monthly fee Verizon charges for it and looking for the best tethering alternative.....Can someone tell me what they use and who has the best known software out there?

Thanks,
    J5

Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Liked
    3 times
    I havent tethered my BlackBerry, but i have seen alot of good reviews with TetherBerry. Check it out TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere

Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiefler07 View Post
    I havent tethered my BlackBerry, but i have seen alot of good reviews with TetherBerry. Check it out TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere
    Yea I seen them and was reading up on them. Its a give and take Ive heard goods and bad but mostly good. Just want to see what other peoples takes are on this.

Ive also heard pdanet, and mobishark is also good but I dont know.

r8trfan is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm
    Liked
    0 times
    pdanet does not work on the blackberry. It is a great product that I used with my treo. I didn't like mobishark. Tetherberry works alot better than mobi.

Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by r8trfan View Post
    pdanet does not work on the blackberry. It is a great product that I used with my treo. I didn't like mobishark. Tetherberry works alot better than mobi.
    Interesting you say that....i was on the CB site and it seems more people are going towards pdanet rather than Tetherberry. Only problem I read was that for some running the trial version it wiped there phones but it seems its about 1 out of every 30 people give and take. But other than that they say its about the same if not quicker. Layout (tray) is more professionally done than TB. hmmmm

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Tetherberry is amazing!! I use it all the time! Its 59.99 and its WELL WORTH IT. I would recommend buying it!!

gatewayad is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow gatewayad On Twitter
    Device
    9530/Droid
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS View Post
    Tetherberry is amazing!! I use it all the time! Its 59.99 and its WELL WORTH IT. I would recommend buying it!!
    Have to agree, I have had Teatherberry since it was in beta, never had a problem, pretty quick and as long as you dont use it to download os updates daily (ha) i dont think you should have a problem with your service provider. Make sure your service provider is truly unlimited as most of them will shut you down if they see you going near 5gb on a monthly basis. Even though they say their service is unlimited it really isnt, at least thats what i have found out with Verizon. But i only use it if i have to when free wireless isnt available. It's great for occasional use but i dont think you will get away with tethering on a regular basis.... IMO

Device
    9530/Droid
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS View Post
    By the way how much do you use it and have you had any problems with going over 5gb??????

r8trfan is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm
    Liked
    0 times
    I stand corrected. When I first switched to the storm pdanet was not available or I would have bought it. So I tried mobishark. I just went to the june fabrics site and it is available. At the moment happy with tetherberry.
    Last edited by r8trfan; 04-13-2009 at 09:23 PM.

statustray is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Verizon 9530 (S
    OS
    5.0.0.484 (Platform
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-5 View Post
    Interesting you say that....i was on the CB site and it seems more people are going towards pdanet rather than Tetherberry. Only problem I read was that for some running the trial version it wiped there phones but it seems its about 1 out of every 30 people give and take. But other than that they say its about the same if not quicker. Layout (tray) is more professionally done than TB. hmmmm
    PDAnet trial version wiped my phone- not once but twice If I were you, I would stay away from it for now. At least until there is a definite reason why the phone was wiped. I wouldn't chance PDAnet.

I have never tried Mobi, but I am a user of TetherBerry. It connects for me about 80% of the time, the first time out. There has been occasion where I had to try to connect three or four times in one internet session, and then it started working like it should.

Just my two cents,
    Statustray

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewayad View Post
    By the way how much do you use it and have you had any problems with going over 5gb??????
    I use it everyday if I can not get a wifi signal. I don't think I come near 5gb a month though thats for sure.

wig
    wig is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    ha
    Device
    storm 9530
    Liked
    0 times
    What do you all tether for? Getting into work? Logging into a home computer? Mail on your laptop?

What's in common between all those things? userID and Passwords needed for all of them.

Now - how does Tetherberry work? Yep, it goes through their servers.

Not to start a conspiracy theory - but I am not a fan of sending all of my TCPIP packets through a third party vendor. It's bad enough the data went through VZW's servers, RIM's servers and the like before it gets to mine.

Now I know I can encrypt things - but that's even more overhead for general use. If I need a properly secured net then I will encrypt, but 50% of the time I want cleartext.

So - can we discuss this a bit? Did I miss something with tetherberry? I really WANT this to work, but I've been in IT Security too long.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    I have used Tetherberry and VZAM and tetherberry rocks. As BBOS said, for $59 it's a great deal.

Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the contributions to the thread. I think I’ll probably go with TB. I’m just tired of paying the $15 a month and on top of that I don’t think I use the full potential of it to get hit with that monthly fee. But I really like the fact that I have it useful when needed when I can’t access a wifi!!

I’ll give you my feed back once I get it.

One quick question for those who have used VZam and TB....how is the connection speed between the two, is it pretty comparable or is it quicker? Slower?

Thanks again.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for all the contributions to the thread. I think I?ll probably go with TB. I?m just tired of paying the $15 a month and on top of that I don?t think I use the full potential of it to get hit with that monthly fee. But I really like the fact that I have it useful when needed when I can?t access a wifi!!

I?ll give you my feed back once I get it.

One quick question for those who have used VZam and TB....how is the connection speed between the two, is it pretty comparable or is it quicker? Slower?

Thanks again.
    Goes without saying that connection speed will depend on how good your coverage is. That being said, both give good speeds, it just why pay $15/month when you get the same thing with TB for a one time fee of $59

Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Goes without saying that connection speed will depend on how good your coverage is. That being said, both give good speeds, it just why pay $15/month when you get the same thing with TB for a one time fee of $59
    True.....you got a point. Is it true about the whole Unlimited with a soft cap of 5gb?

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    True.....you got a point. Is it true about the whole Unlimited with a soft cap of 5gb?
    It's true. I travel a lot and have never come close to the 5gb limit.

Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    So when they state unlimited its really not. Talk about false advertisement!! But at least its good to hear that you dont come anywhere close to it with the amount of traveling you do.

Device
    9530/Droid
    Liked
    0 times
    5 gig is a lot,to use on a phone even with browsing and youtube, but if you tether alot they could notice that by the amount of info that downloads within a specific time frame,
    If you use your laptop all day dont tether, if you use it ocasionally you shouldnt have a problem

Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewayad View Post
    5 gig is a lot,to use on a phone even with browsing and youtube, but if you tether alot they could notice that by the amount of info that downloads within a specific time frame,
    If you use your laptop all day dont tether, if you use it ocasionally you shouldnt have a problem
    Curious....? What happens if I decide to tether all day? If they notice a big jump does that mean they will charge me or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast