Thread: Please help with Massive Memory Leak

shroutr is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Please help with Massive Memory Leak

I've been experiencing massive memory leak for months now on my Storm. It has happened on every single operating system I have been using, including .148 official from Verizon, leaked 5.0 and the official Verizon 5.0 OS. I've gotten a new storm from Verizon just to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue. I've done absolutely everything I can think of.

I've bricked my device and started from scratch, installing all my apps and contacts from scratch just in case there is a corrupted file. None of it has made any difference. I've deleted apps that I thought were causing the problem (weatherbug, google voice, etc.) and that hasn't worked.

I'm looking for some meaningful feedback into how to troubleshoot this problem and, ultimately, solve it so I can use my device again. Please help.

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Welcome to the World of the 9530 Storm 1.
    I'm not trying to be sarcastic. It is the nature of the Storm 1. It leaks memory...plain and simple.

My most honest answer would be to upgrade to the 9550 Storm 2. The way RIM has partitioned its memory is spot on. With the Storm 2 the days of constantly monitoring your memory are over...end of story.

Good Luck :fing02:

david5452 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    30FE210D
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shroutr View Post
    I've been experiencing massive memory leak for months now on my Storm. It has happened on every single operating system I have been using, including .148 official from Verizon, leaked 5.0 and the official Verizon 5.0 OS. I've gotten a new storm from Verizon just to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue. I've done absolutely everything I can think of.

I've bricked my device and started from scratch, installing all my apps and contacts from scratch just in case there is a corrupted file. None of it has made any difference. I've deleted apps that I thought were causing the problem (weatherbug, google voice, etc.) and that hasn't worked.

I'm looking for some meaningful feedback into how to troubleshoot this problem and, ultimately, solve it so I can use my device again. Please help.
    when my storm was doing that i took out my memory card and for some strange reason it stopped being so bad. i put it back in and then it was back to leaking again. explanation i have none but what i did do was put everything to my computer and format the card with windows then once again with my blackberry then i readded the media back to the card. make sure you have show all files on and only take the media not the bb thumbs files. once i did that it seemed to alleviate itself

TheBroken is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow TheBroken On Twitter
    Device
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you try running it with absolutely no apps on it for a while. You running the latest OS? 5.0 memory management is a bit different that 4.7 days. While updating to the latest and greatest will stop a lot of us from memory watching that is just not in the cards for everybody. I would suggest wiping it. installing the OS then do an advanced restore to only transfer ur contacts and emails if you need. Do NOT just do a restore. there might be either a corrupt file in ur backup or a setting issue. try that and see what happens.

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    Also make sure you close every app you open, hit the menu key and select close instead of just hitting the back or end button....
    Posted via BlackBerry device

shroutr is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I've tried many of them. When Verizon gave me a new Storm I did not restore. I manually added my contacts, etc. back. I didn't immediately add apps but I eventually did. None of that seemed to work.

I'd love to upgrade, and I have seen the rumors that they'll allow Storm 1 users to do so at a discount, but right now, if they don't I can't.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll try the memory card thing and I'll try running it for a few days with no apps and see if that helps. I think there is a corrupt file somewhere causing it. I just wish there was a way to find out.

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    I think you are taking the right approach shroutr.
    When this device was released I can't say that any of use knew that we would constantly battle this type of leak. Hopefully you wll get the opportunity to upgrade that device to a storm 2.
    If and when you are able to then I think you would be pleased with the newer device.

This is what I mean...

Memory Leak? What memory leak?
    Last edited by MePascal; 11-06-2009 at 10:49 AM.