Is the Thrill Gone? All Storms are complete.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Is the Thrill Gone? All Storms are complete.

  1. #1
    Bxrider117's Avatar
    Bxrider117 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    PIN
    3049B9CB
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0 said freeze and I got numb!!!
    Posts
    262
    Liked
    0 times

    Is the Thrill Gone? All Storms are complete.

    With the release of VZW's 5.0.0.328 for the Storm 1 and the arrival of the new Storm 2, do storm owners not have any good upgrades, leaks or hybrids to look forward to anymore? I am not one of the fortunate people that have upgraded to the Storm 2, but my Storm 1 is running like champ. I was bored last night so I downgraded to .323 and ran Lyric's hybrid just to see if I missed operable themes and ghost keys. This morning I went back to running.328. I do not know if I should be happy that my phone is running great. Will I get some excitment if I upgrade to the Storm 2 or will my withdrawl continue for the next few months.

    I have even been looking at the new Motorola Droid. It looks amazing, but I am sure that it may not be as user friendly as the Storms. Are any other Storm 1 owners feeling the same way?
    Last edited by Bxrider117; 11-04-2009 at 05:18 PM.




  2. #2
    gspot is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    PIN
    3052FF50
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.591
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times
    I hear ya. I guess the only thing we have to look forward to now is the new plazmic so our favorite themes can be updated. Id also like them to make it so you can view portrait upside down too, its annoying to have to flip your phone when you pick it up upside down. Oh, and make it so that you can view the call screen in landscape. That would be sweet too.

  3. #3
    sunkast Guest
    This is usually when hybrids come into play.

  4. #4
    RobinM's Avatar
    RobinM is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow RobinM On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    5.0.0.973
    Posts
    134
    Liked
    1 times
    I would like to be able to assign a convenience key to hold it either in landscape or portrait. If I want to read a text while I am lying on my back in bed, it is all over the place!
    Storm 9520 v5.0.0.973 :hail:http://ewites.com/ubbthreads/images/...efault/nwl.gif
    Ya canny beat a good leak! :fing02:

  5. #5
    MJKneuro's Avatar
    MJKneuro is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Va.
    Device
    9530/ HTC Incredible
    OS
    5.0.0.591
    Posts
    112
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bxrider117 View Post
    With the release of VZW's 5.0.0.328 for the Storm 1 and the arrival of the new Storm 2, do storm owners not have any good upgrades, leaks or hybrids to look forward to anymore? I am not one of the fortunate people that have upgraded to the Storm 2, but my Storm 1 is running like champ. I was bored last night so I downgraded to .323 and ran Lyric's hybrid just to see if I missed operable themes and ghost keys. This morning I went back to running.328. I do not know if I should be happy that my phone is running great. Will I get some excitment if I upgrade to the Storm 2 or will my withdrawl continue for the next few months.

    I have even been looking at the new Motorola Droid. It looks amazing, but I am sure that it may not be as user friendly as the Storms. Are any other Storm 1 owners feeling the same way?
    On the same boat here - the excitement of waiting for the next leak has abated. The urge to refresh the screen has as well. Still running the Storm 1 - thinking of upgrading but don't think it will get me all that much for how I use my phone...... Guess I need to start getting caught up on all that work I've been putting off.....

  6. #6
    smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Device
    9630
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Posts
    1,573
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinM
    I would like to be able to assign a convenience key to hold it either in landscape or portrait. If I want to read a text while I am lying on my back in bed, it is all over the place!
    You should look into quicklaunch. That's one of the many features it offers. It also has a stay lit feature that's great for reading.
    Bellshare - Premium Blackberry Apps

  7. #7
    f-castrillo is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow f-castrillo On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    88
    Liked
    0 times
    I wonder how far along 9530 software development is. Last I've heard of was in the .36x's. I sure hope we get at least one other official 5.0 from VZW (or through leaks), although I don't see how much farther they can push the 9530 without a major overhaul of the UI.

  8. #8
    yamaberry's Avatar
    yamaberry is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    PIN
    YATA!!!!
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    v10 Hybrid
    Posts
    38
    Liked
    0 times

    Stoptilt

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinM View Post
    I would like to be able to assign a convenience key to hold it either in landscape or portrait. If I want to read a text while I am lying on my back in bed, it is all over the place!
    Stoptilt does this for me!

  9. #9
    barryweiser is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148
    Posts
    9
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaberry View Post
    Stoptilt does this for me!
    A cheaper alternative is Locktilt (99 cents). I have been using this and it works fine. If you want it to persist through battery pulls, go with Stoptilt. Fortunately, I haven't had to do many battery pulls since upgrading to .328!

    Barry

  10. #10
    shaydlife's Avatar
    shaydlife is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    66
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I'm also on the ropes now about the Storm 2 and the Droid. The more that I look at videos and compare the two, the more that I feel that the Storm falls quite short of a (smart) phone...the Droid can tell what accessories it's connected to which in turn launches certain apps. Guys with the orientation issues, both of you can use quicklaunch to do this.

    My 2 cents.

  11. #11
    kara's Avatar
    kara is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow kara On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    32
    Liked
    0 times
    There is a free one too that I used before getting StopTilt...Orientation Lock I think? It's been so long that I'm not sure if it works with the new OS. It also didn't hold settings through a reset which is why I went to StopTilt.

    5.0.0.328 manages memory so well now that I don't have to do daily reboots, so I suppose other options would be sufficient. Definitely check out Quick Launch like smcoldbb suggested...it does fricken everything and has this function built in.
    Twitter @BlackBerryKara

  12. #12
    kara's Avatar
    kara is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow kara On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    32
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh and re: the thrill being gone, I will admit the Droid stuff looks pretty sweet, but I'm way too much of a BB diehard to switch completely. 5.0.0.328 has definitely renewed my love for my Storm...running so rock solid and fast now!

    I hear what you're sayin' though. Seeing the Droid vids gives me the gadget fuzzies, but....

    iDon't have BlackBerry Messenger

    so no Droid for me We need some BerryDroid hybridized OS action imo.
    Twitter @BlackBerryKara

  13. #13
    MajikUF's Avatar
    MajikUF is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Device
    Storm 9530 Unlocked
    OS
    5.0.0.797
    Posts
    97
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kara View Post
    Oh and re: the thrill being gone, I will admit the Droid stuff looks pretty sweet, but I'm way too much of a BB diehard to switch completely. 5.0.0.328 has definitely renewed my love for my Storm...running so rock solid and fast now!

    I hear what you're sayin' though. Seeing the Droid vids gives me the gadget fuzzies, but....

    iDon't have BlackBerry Messenger

    so no Droid for me We need some BerryDroid hybridized OS action imo.
    iDont know if I want to stick with my storm now that the droid is out. We'll see what happens when VZW gives the option out for the S1 people. I'm just not sure I want a keyboard, I like my touch screen everything. I don't think I'd miss BBM that much, everyone has AIM or YIM and they all work on Droid.

  14. #14
    Dave12308's Avatar
    Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Schenectady, NY
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Posts
    375
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kara View Post
    Oh and re: the thrill being gone, I will admit the Droid stuff looks pretty sweet, but I'm way too much of a BB diehard to switch completely. 5.0.0.328 has definitely renewed my love for my Storm...running so rock solid and fast now!

    I hear what you're sayin' though. Seeing the Droid vids gives me the gadget fuzzies, but....

    iDon't have BlackBerry Messenger

    so no Droid for me We need some BerryDroid hybridized OS action imo.
    I was sort of sticking to your line of thinking until about an hour ago, when I actually got to play with a Droid (actually, 3 hours ago; I spent 2 solid hours playing with the device)

    Comparing BB OS (even 5.0.0.328) to Android 2.0 is sort of like comparing Windows 3.11 to Windows 7

    I will be purchasing the Droid next Friday (payday) at full retail. I would have purchased today, but even with throwing $250 of the device cost onto my bill; I still didn't QUITE have the cash to cover the remaining $320 or so.

    I think I will be over my BBM withdrawl relatively quickly.

  15. #15
    HarlyFan's Avatar
    HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Powell, Ohio
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Posts
    469
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    I was sort of sticking to your line of thinking until about an hour ago, when I actually got to play with a Droid (actually, 3 hours ago; I spent 2 solid hours playing with the device)

    Comparing BB OS (even 5.0.0.328) to Android 2.0 is sort of like comparing Windows 3.11 to Windows 7

    I will be purchasing the Droid next Friday (payday) at full retail. I would have purchased today, but even with throwing $250 of the device cost onto my bill; I still didn't QUITE have the cash to cover the remaining $320 or so.

    I think I will be over my BBM withdrawl relatively quickly.
    Keep us posted on your thoughts once you get the droid, I've been thinking about it also. Not sure about the keyboard on the Droid but they showed me a version that does not have one that looked a little sleeker and not as heavy. Dont know what to do.
    Live Each Day Like You Are Dying!

  16. #16
    Goldwinger's Avatar
    Goldwinger is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canton, GA
    PIN
    30f79184
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    The One That Works!!
    Posts
    87
    Liked
    0 times

    Human Nature Stikes Again

    It is so funny to see all of you lamenting over having a good working phone and no upgrade needed or if you do upgrade, will I be impressed with the changes.

    That is so "Human Nature" that it's almost not funny. We have longed for a Storm that would work with the OS and give us a stable phone and now that we have that times two (S1 & S2), we bitch about it.:Eyecrazy:

    This is true addiction, but not to the phone, rather to the process. Jumping to the Droid is not for the reason you don't like your phone, you want something else to fill up your time. Instead of constantly looking for upgrades, leaks or fixes for your phone, which have all been fixed like we wanted right, the Storm offers no more challenges, it's fixed, it works, so now what do I do?:crazy:

    Does any of this sound familiar or is it hitting a nerve? Thought so, you wouldn't admit it anyway. :no:

    Don't get me wrong, I fully understand, my insight comes from experience, not observance, however, I've had my WinMo days and I kinda like not having to constantly fix my phone or looking for that next piece that will make it all work. Now I have time to go for a ride up into the mountains with the wife. The Wing calls and it's a Siren's call, so I must go and ride, and I ride with a working phone that doesn't need fixing. I'll bitch about that later, now, I just ride.

  17. #17
    Hairy's Avatar
    Hairy is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Knoxville
    Device
    9530
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    12
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MajikUF View Post
    iDont know if I want to stick with my storm now that the droid is out. We'll see what happens when VZW gives the option out for the S1 people. I'm just not sure I want a keyboard, I like my touch screen everything. I don't think I'd miss BBM that much, everyone has AIM or YIM and they all work on Droid.
    Went down to the V store yesterday to play with it. During my typing exercise, I switched to the keyboard and had to go back to the screen qwerty to type, "the keyboard SUCKS!"...I left the message in que so others could weigh in with their opinion. I did like the little vibrabuzz feedback when keying; kinda like the wife's Dare. I started checking out other features (browser) and the line behind me started telling me to do this and that and I handed it off. Nice phone...but the jury's still out! You know there will be gripes and complaints as time goes on - they haven't made the perfect smart phone yet! Definately something to keep an eye on! My NE2 comes up in March...

    H
    A D D...I don't understand what peop- Look, a cat!!!
    4.7.0.075 >>>.109 >>>.141 >>>.151/BBC8.5 >>>5.0.0.328/V10 >>>5.0.0.428/Lyricidal

  18. #18
    RobinM's Avatar
    RobinM is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow RobinM On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    5.0.0.973
    Posts
    134
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smcoldbb View Post
    You should look into quicklaunch. That's one of the many features it offers. It also has a stay lit feature that's great for reading.
    Nice, I might just do that... thanks for the heads up.
    Storm 9520 v5.0.0.973 :hail:http://ewites.com/ubbthreads/images/...efault/nwl.gif
    Ya canny beat a good leak! :fing02:

  19. #19
    markdental's Avatar
    markdental is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Device
    Storm 9530
    Posts
    285
    Liked
    0 times
    I have to admit that I am kindof over the thrill of the the storm. I am curious though how typing on a phone without the "click" will be.

    I would love to see a new OS with a few new features to make the UI nicer. After seeing the Sense UI on the HTC handsets and the new UI that Sony has coming, the BB UI is about as boring as anything can get.

  20. #20
    kara's Avatar
    kara is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow kara On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    32
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MajikUF View Post
    iDont know if I want to stick with my storm now that the droid is out. We'll see what happens when VZW gives the option out for the S1 people. I'm just not sure I want a keyboard, I like my touch screen everything. I don't think I'd miss BBM that much, everyone has AIM or YIM and they all work on Droid.
    lol at "iDont know"

    I hear ya on the keyboard! I've also really come to like everything touchscreen. I also really like the nice big SureType buttons.

    Ugh I WISH I could get everyone to use AIM! All the poker peeps I know are on AIM 24/7 but the rest of my friends still...*gasp* use text messaging! I've worked so hard converting people to BB's for BBM, I'd feel like a sell out switching to Droid hahahha.
    Twitter @BlackBerryKara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •