PIN
    31017C65
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

3g Versus Wifi

How can you tell if the storm is pulling from Wifi or just the 3g network? I dont really see a significant change in network speed when browsing the internet or checking pictures on facebook.

Any ideas?

sunkast Guest
    Do you see the wifi logo lit up?

tsailor1 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    31017C65
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    yes it white!

sunkast Guest
    Then more than likely you are using wifi.

givmedew is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow givmedew On Twitter
    PIN
    the tail on the donky
    Device
    Moto Droid, 9530 and 8230
    OS
    Android 2.0, v10 Hybrid, and 5.0 leak for pearl
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tsailor1 View Post
    How can you tell if the storm is pulling from Wifi or just the 3g network? I dont really see a significant change in network speed when browsing the internet or checking pictures on facebook.

Any ideas?
    I believe that some of the reason you may not see a significant change in speed may have to do with how fast the phone can process the information it pulls down. It also depends on your connection speed. If you have a lower speed dsl connection then I don't think you would see much speed increase.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong about the processing thing however I have just always noticed that every pda phone I have owned came nowhere near the speed of a wireless modem using the same standard but connected to a laptop. I'd also say that they have always been significantly faster loading pages on a laptop while tethered except the storm it seems that my storm with tetherberry is super super slow.

anyways my 2 cents
    PLEASE, dl DUB @ DUBMENOW.COM, soon2be the standard in contact/PIM exchange.
    DISCLAIMER: Anything I say CAN'T and WILL NOT be used against me. Also anything said has nothing to do with my employeer and probably is not in agreeance w/them...

PIN
    31017C65
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I am running ATT uverse internet at 6gb downstream. I dont think the 3g network is that fast. I really thought I would see a difference in speed browsing using the wifi versus the 3g. Maybe I am wrong.

givmedew is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow givmedew On Twitter
    PIN
    the tail on the donky
    Device
    Moto Droid, 9530 and 8230
    OS
    Android 2.0, v10 Hybrid, and 5.0 leak for pearl
    Liked
    0 times
    That's what I'm trying to say. I think it has a lot to do with the phones ability to process the information that is handed to it. You could hand it a 50mb connection (not that the wifi radio would pull that) and you would still see minimal difference.

I don't think the phone itself can keep up. Think of it like having 2 computers side by side both with a 50mb FiOS connection on a 100mb card. One computer is a 500mhz p2 w/256mb of ram and the other a quad core 2.4 w/ 6gb of ram. I have the feeling that the 500mhz p2 may not be able to open web pages as quickly.
    PLEASE, dl DUB @ DUBMENOW.COM, soon2be the standard in contact/PIM exchange.
    DISCLAIMER: Anything I say CAN'T and WILL NOT be used against me. Also anything said has nothing to do with my employeer and probably is not in agreeance w/them...

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by givmedew View Post
    That's what I'm trying to say. I think it has a lot to do with the phones ability to process the information that is handed to it. You could hand it a 50mb connection (not that the wifi radio would pull that) and you would still see minimal difference.

I don't think the phone itself can keep up. Think of it like having 2 computers side by side both with a 50mb FiOS connection on a 100mb card. One computer is a 500mhz p2 w/256mb of ram and the other a quad core 2.4 w/ 6gb of ram. I have the feeling that the 500mhz p2 may not be able to open web pages as quickly.
    Dew is exactly right. Your connection to your network determines everything. Also, your network is only as fast as it's slowest connection. If it's only being pushed to you at 1.5Mbps, a wireless connection at 54Mbps isn't going to speed anything up.

PIN
    31017C65
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Then what is really the benefit of having wifi on your phone. Yes I suppose if you have a weak signal at home it helps in that regard but other then that what is the point. I picked up my Storm 2 yesterday and the typing is much better then the storm one. It does seem to be faster as it has more memory but is it really worth the extra $200 just to get those things. I have been with blackberry for over 10 years. I think I am going to atleast look at the droid next week. Its a big change going from one to the other but I am not sure I can justify the extra 200 for a phone that is basically the same. Any feedback is welcome.
    Thanks

Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Wifi, when connected to a fast server, you will receive faster downloads. I do not think it is much of a benefit because you have to pay an extra fee every month for it to work. Big Red is doing some changes to there programs and I just don't think it is fair or like it. Wifi, should be part of your regular data plan, it should not tack on an extra $10 per month just to use the wifi.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

PIN
    31017C65
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I am on a 6gb uverse connection which has to be faster then 3g and I see no noticeable difference. So unless my phone isnt connected to wifi (wifi logo is white) I am not seeing any benefit in having wifi. Atleast for me!

Le0_Br4zuC4 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    30FB551F
    Device
    BlackBerry Stor
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tsailor1 View Post
    I am on a 6gb uverse connection which has to be faster then 3g and I see no noticeable difference. So unless my phone isnt connected to wifi (wifi logo is white) I am not seeing any benefit in having wifi. Atleast for me!
    some of the benefits of having wifi is that even when you're in a phone call you can receive/send emails, browse the web and bbm, another benefit of wifi is that when you're not allowed to use you mobile network, for example when travelling in an airplane, you can use your wifi to browse the web, send/receive emails .... For some people those are big benefits but for some others not really

Follow me on Twiter
    [/URL][/CENTER][/SIZE]
    Le0_Br4zUc4 - BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Running 5.0.0.428

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    I think one of the big things that has been overlooked as an advantage to wifi is the fact that if you are in an area that has wifi and are connected, it should give you a much better connection to your streaming apps.. ie pandora slacker iheartradio. Even though you can connect through the mobile network it can be choppy from time to time, especially with iheartradio as it doesnt buffer like pandora and slacker(not as much i should say). but with wifi the connection should be perfect and unbroken.

Le0_Br4zuC4 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    30FB551F
    Device
    BlackBerry Stor
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    I think one of the big things that has been overlooked as an advantage to wifi is the fact that if you are in an area that has wifi and are connected, it should give you a much better connection to your streaming apps.. ie pandora slacker iheartradio. Even though you can connect through the mobile network it can be choppy from time to time, especially with iheartradio as it doesnt buffer like pandora and slacker(not as much i should say). but with wifi the connection should be perfect and unbroken.
    :hail: Yeah you're right, I've been using pandora on wifi and its been great! :1244:

Follow me on Twiter
    [/URL][/CENTER][/SIZE]
    Le0_Br4zUc4 - BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Running 5.0.0.428