LOL...yeah, right!
    Device
    BB Storm 9550 - Verizon
    OS
    v5.0.0.607
    Liked
    0 times

Question about ghosting S1 to S2

Just found out that I can upgrade from my S1 to a S2. Now, correct my if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that I will transfer my SIM card from my S1 to the S2.

Using the DM to switch from S1 to S2, I still need to ghost to get all my apps to the S2, right?

Thx,
    T

yamaberry is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    YATA!!!!
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    v10 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    You just have to do a device swap in DM and your good to go. Some storm 1 apps may not work on storm 2 but most should I suppose.

T-Rob is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    LOL...yeah, right!
    Device
    BB Storm 9550 - Verizon
    OS
    v5.0.0.607
    Liked
    0 times
    But, I do switch my SIM card right?

sunkast Guest
    I believe so.

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    OP, can you be a bit more specific on why you are referring to "Ghosting" the phone? Ghost is a program for copying PC drives and partitions, it would likely do nothing to the phone except overwrite the onboard storage memory.

BBphreak is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow BBphreak On Twitter
    PIN
    GED your IP ;)
    Device
    9700/9000
    OS
    >>.421/.411
    Liked
    0 times
    If you have a SIM card that you use in your Storm 1 then yes, if you don't use it for overseas then I would ask Verizon or if you do it in store I'm sure they will handle it for you or you can ask them...

As far as transferring your device you want to create a backup file of your storm one and use BBSAK to backup your third party applications. Then you want to use the DM to do the device transfer wizard, if all goes well a lot of your information and settings should hopefully be transferred, if things aren't how you customized them than once your on your S2 load the backup file and restore your third party appz with BBSAK.

It would actually be nice if RIM had imaging software for their phones but it wouldn't really be worth it because each RIM Blackberry model has its own unique operating system that wouldn't run if you imaged it and tried to load the image to a new and differen't device....however something like this would be beneficial for restoring an image to the same device model ....

Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BBphreak View Post
    It would actually be nice if RIM had imaging software for their phones but it wouldn't really be worth it because each RIM Blackberry model has its own unique operating system that wouldn't run if you imaged it and tried to load the image to a new and differen't device....however something like this would be beneficial for restoring an image to the same device model ....
    It would probably be a waste though, as most of the things transferred over already are during the backup/restore phase of the OS load.

On a related note, I DO keep a Ghost image of my memory card on my server..... Why? Don't ask me, I have a Ghost image of just about everything one can create a ghost image of.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Hmm maybe off topic but in laymen terms what is ghosting
    Posted via BlackBerry device

Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    Hmm maybe off topic but in laymen terms what is ghosting
    Posted via BlackBerry device
    The term Ghosting, in it's most literal sense, means using a Symantec product called "Ghost" to clone a PC disk to another disk, or to an image file. It is useful for large-scale OS deployments where everything needs to be uniform across systems. You take a machine, configure it the way you want; and install all of the application software. The Ghost program is then used to upload this image file to a server or another hard disk. It is useful for the average PC user as a way to make a "system restore" image, and in fact my copy was included with an Asus motherboard.

"Ghosting" can also be used as a generic term for hard disc cloning/imaging with any of the other packages available to do so.

This is the consumer version of Ghost:

System Backup Restore - PC Backup Software | Norton Ghost 14.0

This is the corporate version:

Windows Vista Deployment, Vista Provisioning | Symantec Ghost Solution Suite

Acronis True-Image, a competitor:

Backup software and disaster recovery solutions for both Windows and Linux servers

True Image can also create OEM-style system restore partitions like you would find on a Dell.

Now as for exactly what the OP was asking, i'm still not 100% sure since they never responded to my asking them.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 11-02-2009 at 10:02 PM.

PIN
    LOL...yeah, right!
    Device
    BB Storm 9550 - Verizon
    OS
    v5.0.0.607
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay...everything went pretty well with the switch from S1 to S2. Everything transferred over except for my music, pics and ringtones. I had those saved on my computer just in case. Plugged in the S2 and loaded them on it. All is good.

Ghosting is another way of saying transferring all of my information and data from one device over to the other one. I could have said "transfer" or "copy", but I'm used to using the term "ghosting". My bad.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    Okay...everything went pretty well with the switch from S1 to S2. Everything transferred over except for my music, pics and ringtones. I had those saved on my computer just in case. Plugged in the S2 and loaded them on it. All is good.

Ghosting is another way of saying transferring all of my information and data from one device over to the other one. I could have said "transfer" or "copy", but I'm used to using the term "ghosting". My bad.
    No problem T

Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    Not a problem, however just bear in mind that with a commercial hard disk cloning program on the market specifically called "Ghost" it can be confusing to an IT professional such as myself when one uses the term "Ghost" to mean transferring data; and not actual cloning of a storage device.

The actual term you are looking for would be "device transfer"

PIN
    LOL...yeah, right!
    Device
    BB Storm 9550 - Verizon
    OS
    v5.0.0.607
    Liked
    0 times
    Got it...thanks, Dave.