Thread: BlackBerry Storm 2 - Full List of Obvious and Less Obvious Benefits

Bboyeruga is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Bboyeruga On Twitter
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    OS
    Liked
    2 times

BlackBerry Storm 2 - Full List of Obvious and Less Obvious Benefits

I've been reading every day all the "issues" people are finding with the Storm 2 and I believe that if we all just step back and look at all the benefits of the Storm 2 over the Storm 1, maybe we can stop justifying not upgrading and appreciate all the work RIM put into this brilliant device.

Obvious Benefits:
    • Increased Memory
    ○ For all those memory watchers out there, the Storm 2 has not dropped below 120mb yet on my device and I believe every owner can attest for this as well.
    • Wifi
    ○ There was a lot of early criticism over the hiccup in Verizon's Wifi capabilities, but they have all been resolved within a DAY. For the big red, that is an incredible customer response and we should all appreciate their hard work to fix it promptly.
    • Design
    ○ Just holding the phone you realize it is a better, more solid build and something that will survive the inevitable drops and scrapes the device will endure.
    ○ The rubberized volume and convenience buttons are less protrusive and make accidental bumping nearly impossible.
    ○ The headphone jack is neatly hidden on the side at a creative angle so that you hardly notice it when nothing is plugged in.
    ○ External Speaker is hidden well at the bottom of the screen where you can't even see it.
    ○ The battery door is again, a sturdy metal that clips in nicely to the back without those annoying slide brackets.
    ○ LED light is not as bright which can be considered a good or bad thing.
    ○ The chrome trim on the phone is now a more gunmetal grey and doesn't show blemishes and fingerprints as bad as the Storm 1 did.
    ○ Screen extends to less than 2 mm of the edge. This prevents any light "leaking" through like you see at the bottom four physical buttons of the Storm 1. This also prevents any dust or debris from getting under that great looking screen.
    • Surepress Technology
    ○ The new Piezo technology built into the screen is nothing short of revolutionary. I have never been able to type as fast as I can with the Storm 2. I have had Qwerty devices and before the Storm 1, but the Storm 2 is absolutely built for accurate and quick typing.
    ○ The screen click is very different from the Storm 1, but it is all for the best. It takes about 3 days to get completely used to the Storm 2's touchscreen interface but I will probably never be able to use another touch screen to type ever again. If you don't believe me, go thoroughly test it out in the Verizon store.
    Less Obvious Benefits
    • Lock Screen
    ○ This kinda falls under the Piezo technology but when you lock the screen it becomes stiff and unclickable. This doesn't seem like much of a difference but you'd be surprised. I didn't really think about this until I got the phone and played with it a bit, but it's a very nice feature that really makes this phone revolutionary.
    • External Speaker
    ○ Very loud but without the cackling the Storm 1 speaker made. Crystal Clear sound makes every call/video/song sound brilliant.
    • Advanced face recognition
    ○ I don't really know the technical term for this but whenever you make a call and put the phone to your face, the screen turns off instinctively without the use of applications like screenlock or patternlock. It also reactivates the moment you pull it from your face so you can dial extensions or whatever.

There are a lot of other little benefits of the Storm 2 that you really cannot read or see in your first look. All I can say is that in the first 5 days of owning my Odin, I have never been more glad of an upgrade. Yes the people I show it to can't tell a difference but that’s not what counts. I hope this review has convinced you to at least go out and try the Storm 2, especially if they will be giving the 179.99 price to all Storm 1 users. If you guys know of any other benefits please feel free to post them.

BBThemeDesigns - Themes from BBoyerUGA

Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Liked
    19 times
    Great list Brandon. I reallly want this phone.

I have to point out that the last benefit about the face thing is an OS feature and now happens on my Storm 1 though.
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Liked
    0 times
    Great review. I completely agree.
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)

Tevansny is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    someone us
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Very Nice write up. I have had my storm 2 for two days now and i could not agree with you more. The phone just overall "feels" better.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Very nice B :fing02:

Your wifi comment was a very good point and needed to be said.

Prince Jah is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    NING 1 "CO
    Device
    S2 and Wifey S1
    OS
    Lyric(705H)/607 OS P
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bboyeruga View Post
    I've been reading every day all the "issues" people are finding with the Storm 2 and I believe that if we all just step back and look at all the benefits of the Storm 2 over the Storm 1, maybe we can stop justifying not upgrading and appreciate all the work RIM put into this brilliant device.

Obvious Benefits:
    • Increased Memory
    ○ For all those memory watchers out there, the Storm 2 has not dropped below 120mb yet on my device and I believe every owner can attest for this as well.
    • Wifi
    ○ There was a lot of early criticism over the hiccup in Verizon's Wifi capabilities, but they have all been resolved within a DAY. For the big red, that is an incredible customer response and we should all appreciate their hard work to fix it promptly.
    • Design
    ○ Just holding the phone you realize it is a better, more solid build and something that will survive the inevitable drops and scrapes the device will endure.
    ○ The rubberized volume and convenience buttons are less protrusive and make accidental bumping nearly impossible.
    ○ The headphone jack is neatly hidden on the side at a creative angle so that you hardly notice it when nothing is plugged in.
    ○ External Speaker is hidden well at the bottom of the screen where you can't even see it.
    ○ The battery door is again, a sturdy metal that clips in nicely to the back without those annoying slide brackets.
    ○ LED light is not as bright which can be considered a good or bad thing.
    ○ The chrome trim on the phone is now a more gunmetal grey and doesn't show blemishes and fingerprints as bad as the Storm 1 did.
    ○ Screen extends to less than 2 mm of the edge. This prevents any light "leaking" through like you see at the bottom four physical buttons of the Storm 1. This also prevents any dust or debris from getting under that great looking screen.
    • Surepress Technology
    ○ The new Piezo technology built into the screen is nothing short of revolutionary. I have never been able to type as fast as I can with the Storm 2. I have had Qwerty devices and before the Storm 1, but the Storm 2 is absolutely built for accurate and quick typing.
    ○ The screen click is very different from the Storm 1, but it is all for the best. It takes about 3 days to get completely used to the Storm 2's touchscreen interface but I will probably never be able to use another touch screen to type ever again. If you don't believe me, go thoroughly test it out in the Verizon store.
    Less Obvious Benefits
    • Lock Screen
    ○ This kinda falls under the Piezo technology but when you lock the screen it becomes stiff and unclickable. This doesn't seem like much of a difference but you'd be surprised. I didn't really think about this until I got the phone and played with it a bit, but it's a very nice feature that really makes this phone revolutionary.
    • External Speaker
    ○ Very loud but without the cackling the Storm 1 speaker made. Crystal Clear sound makes every call/video/song sound brilliant.
    • Advanced face recognition
    ○ I don't really know the technical term for this but whenever you make a call and put the phone to your face, the screen turns off instinctively without the use of applications like screenlock or patternlock. It also reactivates the moment you pull it from your face so you can dial extensions or whatever.

There are a lot of other little benefits of the Storm 2 that you really cannot read or see in your first look. All I can say is that in the first 5 days of owning my Odin, I have never been more glad of an upgrade. Yes the people I show it to can't tell a difference but that’s not what counts. I hope this review has convinced you to at least go out and try the Storm 2, especially if they will be giving the 179.99 price to all Storm 1 users. If you guys know of any other benefits please feel free to post them.
    Very well Written

Pblakeney is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    9850 & PB
    OS
    Carrier
    VZW
    Liked
    34 times
    For those of you who have made the leep did you back up all data then transfer it to your S2 from your S1 and if so was it a seamless process? :bandit:
    P. Blakeney

Pblakeney is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    9850 & PB
    OS
    Carrier
    VZW
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Jah View Post
    Very well Written
    Agreed and helps me make a decision verses holding on to my S1.

Thanks
    P. Blakeney

Le0_Br4zuC4 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    30FB551F
    Device
    BlackBerry Stor
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Nice list, you did a good job on it! I Agree it is a great phone

Follow me on Twiter
    [/URL][/CENTER][/SIZE]
    Le0_Br4zUc4 - BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Running 5.0.0.428

Vaffanculo403 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    The hole for the LED is where the proximity sensor is. Which is why the LED isn't as bright. It's pushed off to the side so the proximity sensor can do it's job...

gatewayad is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow gatewayad On Twitter
    Device
    9530/Droid
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (9530 Storm)

Quote Originally Posted by Pblakeney
    For those of you who have made the leep did you back up all data then transfer it to your S2 from your S1 and if so was it a seamless process? :bandit:
    Through DM it was seamless. Everything transferred over without a hitch.

cmorty72 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow cmorty72 On Twitter
    PIN
    CH your money maker!!!
    Device
    Storm 9530/Soon to be Droid owner
    OS
    Something 5.0 that has been shrunk! :P
    Liked
    0 times
    Very nice review of the Storm2/Odin vs. Storm1.

You really gave me some new insight to the S2.

Now I'm torn between the S2 and the Droid!!!:aargh4:

awill300 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    OS
    Hybrid
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks alot, this is exactly what I was wanting, because VZW did not give me a S2 when I called with a issue about my S1 but they did change my upgrade to ASAP (179.00) So thanks

tbcpn is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm2 9550 / Bold 9650 (VZW)
    OS
    5.0.0.??? Hybrid?
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaffanculo403 View Post
    The hole for the LED is where the proximity sensor is. Which is why the LED isn't as bright. It's pushed off to the side so the proximity sensor can do it's job...
    Using BerryBuzz and setting the LED colors to "Bright XXXX" alleviates this somewhat.

PIN
    CH your money maker!!!
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewayad View Post
    Wirelessly posted (9530 Storm)

Through DM it was seamless. Everything transferred over without a hitch.
    Yet another good thing to know.

Device
    OS
    Hybrid
    Liked
    5 times
    Quick question for anyone, all the S1 apps will work for the S2 right?

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Great list Brandon! Outstanding job! I do thing this new screen technology is so weird and its the new cool weird! Rim did awesome. :banana:
    Posted via BlackBerry device

Device
    OS
    Hybrid
    Liked
    5 times
    So its worth the upgrade then?

PIN
    CH your money maker!!!
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by awill300 View Post
    So its worth the upgrade then?
    +1 ?
    10char

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by awill300 View Post
    Quick question for anyone, all the S1 apps will work for the S2 right?
    There have been several apps/themes that I have not been able to get to work with the Storm 2....

I hope builders are watching....Updates need to get out ASAP....Thanks for the post awill300 :fing02:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast