Does WiFi default to 3G with radio on?

Thread: Does WiFi default to 3G with radio on?

sbain1 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow sbain1 On Twitter
    PIN
    306E23D1
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Does WiFi default to 3G with radio on?

I have spoken to two different VZW Reps about the Storm2 and WiFi.

They say:

"Even though you have WiFi turned on in your options, it will always default to the Verizon Network (3G) if you have a 3G connection."

In other words WiFi ONLY works if you have lost your 3G connection or turn it off in the options.

Can someone PLEASE verify this.

The VZW Reps were positive that if you run a speed test with WiFi enabled and have a 3G connection that you will get 3G speed, if you turn off the Radio and have WiFi enabled you will get WiFi speeds.

I hope I stated this plainly, I can't test it myself because I had a stroke and can't go to the store.

Please let me know...thank you very, very much!

sunkast Guest
    If the settings are anything like the GSM version, you can set which radio you prefer. This setting is under Mobile Network Options and look for Connection Preference.

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    WiFi will only work if the carrier radio is indeed off. IMO defeats the purpose of WiFi. You cannot surf via WiFi while talking to a colleague.
    Last edited by TemperamentalMan; 10-30-2009 at 05:10 PM.

oilman is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    30FD4F5D
    Device
    Storm 2- 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TemperamentalMan View Post
    WiFi will only work if the carrier radio is indeed off. IMO defeats the purpose of WiFi. You cannot surf via WiFi while talking to a colleague.
    That's incorrect. You can surf the internet, send/ receive emails and use BBM while talking on the phone.

PIN
    306E23D1
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    If the settings are anything like the GSM version, you can set which radio you prefer. This setting is under Mobile Network Options and look for Connection Preference.
    Let me try to explain again.

The VZW Reps are saying that even if you have WIFI selected in options it won't matter. If you are able to and are in fact receiving 3G then the phone will default and use 3G.

In other words if you are surfing the net...have WiFi and Verizon network both selected in options, that when you surf it will default to the Verizon Network (3G).

They said the only way you can download or surf using WiFi is to shut off the radio or be in a location where you can't connect to 3G.

What I am asking is for someone that has a Storm 2 to verify this one way or another.

The Reps both said if you have a speedtest application and run a test with both selected it will use 3G. if you run the test again and have only WiFi selected you speed rating will be much higher.

Can someone try this rather than guessing? It is very important to me (a dealbreaker) and I am unable to go to the store myself because of health issues and don't want to order the Storm 2 before I find out.

Thank you very much.

oilman is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    30FD4F5D
    Device
    Storm 2- 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    From what I've seen, whether the Radio is on or not, the internet still browses with WiFi. I've noticed a huge difference in how fast pages load when i have WiFi enabled (even with the radio on)

TommyGrubz is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    stripes on
    Device
    8330 / 9530 / M
    OS
    VZW official Curve O
    Liked
    4 times
    I can't tell a difference after turning off the radio. Seems the same with radio on and off. I don't have that speed tester app, but I did clear the cache before each test...

PIN
    306E23D1
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    That would seem to prove the opposite of what the Reps are saying, cause it sounds like yours is using WiFi all the time (as it should).

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    WiFi works with the radio on as well.
    How I tested this was the fact that I was able to have my 3G network on and I enabled the Wi-Fi network. I then proceeded to call my voice mail inbox.
    While the prompt was instructing, I was able to send and receive email as well as utilize Blackberry Messenger. I was able to instruct the prompts in my voice mail, send and receive voice mail and IM all at the same time.

PIN
    306E23D1
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    WiFi works with the radio on as well.
    How I tested this was the fact that I was able to have my 3G network on and I enabled the Wi-Fi network. I then proceeded to call my voice mail inbox.
    While the prompt was instructing, I was able to send and receive email as well as utilize Blackberry Messenger. I was able to instruct the prompts in my voice mail, send and receive voice mail and IM all at the same time.
    OK...it must be my fault that I'm not getting across what the reps told me:

Downloading and surfing: Run a test with a speedtest app and you will get a much faster result with Radio off and WiFi enabled. This is because with both enabled the phone will use 3G so you will get a slower result.

Does this make sense yet?

If this is the case it is a deal breaker for me because if you turn off the radio so you can surf the web...then the phone won't ring. IF you want the phone to work while you surf then it won't access WiFi it will default to 3G.

This is what the VZW reps are telling me, I am just trying (hoping) that someone with a S2 will run the test and end all this mumbo jumbo.

Thanks again everyone for trying to help.

PIN
    stripes on
    Device
    8330 / 9530 / M
    OS
    VZW official Curve O
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sbain1 View Post
    OK...it must be my fault that I'm not getting across what the reps told me:

Downloading and surfing: Run a test with a speedtest app and you will get a much faster result with Radio off and WiFi enabled. This is because with both enabled the phone will use 3G so you will get a slower result.

Does this make sense yet?

If this is the case it is a deal breaker for me because if you turn off the radio so you can surf the web...then the phone won't ring. IF you want the phone to work while you surf then it won't access WiFi it will default to 3G.

This is what the VZW reps are telling me, I am just trying (hoping) that someone with a S2 will run the test and end all this mumbo jumbo.

Thanks again everyone for trying to help.
    I understand exactly what you mean. But if the wifi only worked when you don't have 3G, and Mepascal's test was done while he had 3G service... then there would be no way for him to do all that at the same time. It is not possible when using 3G only. He was using 3G and wifi at the same time so they were wrong.

Edit: I am talking to a Blackberry level 2 technician RIGHT NOW on the phone and asked about this.She says they were wrong. VZW does NOT restrict wifi at any time!!!

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you Sir...You made my point crystal clear.....

It is totally possible. I tested my findings with jnepsa and Leo of the help team....
    Data speed test are IMO inconclusive....It's the fact that I'm able to utilize at the features simultaneously. That's proof enough...

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGrubz View Post
    I understand exactly what you mean. But if the wifi only worked when you don't have 3G, and Mepascal's test was done while he had 3G service... then there would be no way for him to do all that at the same time. It is not possible when using 3G only. He was using 3G and wifi at the same time so they were wrong.

Edit: I am talking to a Blackberry level 2 technician RIGHT NOW on the phone and asked about this.She says they were wrong. VZW does NOT restrict wifi at any time!!!
    And as a further validation that wifi and 3G work at the same time is 3G over CDMA does not allow simultaneous data communication. This is hard coded into CDMA networks and nothing vzw can do about that. So without wifi you would not be able to do what is mepascal accomplished.

PIN
    306E23D1
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    And as a further validation that wifi and 3G work at the same time is 3G over CDMA does not allow simultaneous data communication. This is hard coded into CDMA networks and nothing vzw can do about that. So without wifi you would not be able to do what is mepascal accomplished.
    Thank you all for your posts (and those from @britishturbo).

This issue is now IMHO settled, and I am back in the market for a S2 now that I know I can use the WiFi AND the phone (like they say you can in all the adds).

I don't know why some reps are like these two...they were both trying to talk me out of a phone that I want quite badly.

Thanks to all of you who actually use the S2 and to those of you that understand how the phone works even if you don't have one.

I was sure I would get an answer here (one way or the other) and I'm glad it worked out the way I wanted.

Hail BBOS!!!:hail:

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times

This issue is now IMHO settled, and I am back in the market for a S2 now that I know I can use the WiFi AND the phone (like they say you can in all the adds).

I don't know why some reps are like these two...they were both trying to talk me out of a phone that I want quite badly.

Thanks to all of you who actually use the S2 and to those of you that understand how the phone works even if you don't have one.

I was sure I would get an answer here (one way or the other) and I'm glad it worked out the way I wanted.

I stand corrected! I have read numerous posts to the contrary. I apologize if I steered anyone wrong.

Vaffanculo403 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I would have to agree that it does because I've never seen a wireless network render a page as fast as this thing does. All I have to say is that this thing is stupid fast on WIFI!

PIN
    stripes on
    Device
    8330 / 9530 / M
    OS
    VZW official Curve O
    Liked
    4 times

Pretty sure most of the regulars on here know 10x more about blackberry than the reps in the store do :lmao:

Many times I've been in a VZW store and taught them a thing or two

paymentd is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    30B82418
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

WiFi vs 3G (EV-DO Rev. A)

This might be a bit redundant at this point, but I think it's good information for anyone that's been looking at this thread...

At this time, current CDMA networks are NOT incapable of delivering simultaneous voice and data sessions to a user. However, no wireless carrier has deployed the technology to do this, because of the cost involved with deployment. At the same time, companies like Airvana are persistently advertising the idea of mainstream VoIP over EV-DO to some of the industry's largest service providers. The introduction of VoIP over EV-DO would revolutionize the way wireless is today. VoIP would make 1xRTT obsolete because of EV-DO Rev. A's ability to utilize Dynamic Rate Control and Multi-Flow at handset. In other words, handsets would control the rate of data packets to and from the tower, as well as the cell being able to handle traffic differently on a flow by flow basis lowering latency and allowing for more users to use bandwidth simultaneously. Anyways, back to the point...

Leaving circuit-based cell networks at the wayside, and evolving into VoIP over EV-DO would not only be beneficial to things like video telephony, web browser speeds, and increased user capacity on the network... it would give the subscriber the ability to simultaneously use voice and data sessions, because all transmissions would run over the same channels and be IP-based.

Geesh, who is going to want WiFi when everything is said and done anyways? Ha. Or at least we can hope that the big wigs at these companies are making the right calls. We all know that not everyone of them has... but if you look at the big Rev. A players, they're already using VoIP based services over EV-DO... how do you think PTT works for VZW/Alltel? And Sprint, I haven't researched whether or not they're continuing with the idea to roll Nextel users into VoIP PTT, but that's what they originally planned...

Okay, WiFi and EV-DO work at the same time... meaning you can make a phone call and use your data applications (web, email, bbm, etc.) simultaneously. The reason why you're not working on the BIS when connecting to WiFi the first time is probably because you provisioned only on EVDO... I'm assuming you probably need to resend service books while on WiFi and it should work just fine? That's just a guess though.

Hope I didn't make myself sound too dumb, and I hope this clears things up for foggy readers.

-paymentd

PS - Keep in mind the representatives you talk to at the store aren't extensively trained in the devices, so at initial launch most don't know more than the cost of the handset and basic functionality... I wouldn't blame salespeople for not knowing the technical aspect of a BlackBerry... that's what BBOS is for. =]

Vaffanculo403 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGrubz View Post
    Pretty sure most of the regulars on here know 10x more about blackberry than the reps in the store do :lmao:

Many times I've been in a VZW store and taught them a thing or two
    I had a VZW rep at the call center today tell me there is no difference between the screens on the S1 and the S2. I was like :laugh2: