Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

PIN
    stripes on
    Device
    8330 / 9530 / M
    OS
    VZW official Curve O
    Quote Originally Posted by sbain1 View Post
    Thank you all for your posts (and those from @britishturbo).

This issue is now IMHO settled, and I am back in the market for a S2 now that I know I can use the WiFi AND the phone (like they say you can in all the adds).

I don't know why some reps are like these two...they were both trying to talk me out of a phone that I want quite badly.

Thanks to all of you who actually use the S2 and to those of you that understand how the phone works even if you don't have one.

I was sure I would get an answer here (one way or the other) and I'm glad it worked out the way I wanted.

Hail BBOS!!!:hail:
    Pretty sure most of the regulars on here know 10x more about blackberry than the reps in the store do :lmao:

Many times I've been in a VZW store and taught them a thing or two

PIN
    30B82418
    Device
    OS

WiFi vs 3G (EV-DO Rev. A)

This might be a bit redundant at this point, but I think it's good information for anyone that's been looking at this thread...

At this time, current CDMA networks are NOT incapable of delivering simultaneous voice and data sessions to a user. However, no wireless carrier has deployed the technology to do this, because of the cost involved with deployment. At the same time, companies like Airvana are persistently advertising the idea of mainstream VoIP over EV-DO to some of the industry's largest service providers. The introduction of VoIP over EV-DO would revolutionize the way wireless is today. VoIP would make 1xRTT obsolete because of EV-DO Rev. A's ability to utilize Dynamic Rate Control and Multi-Flow at handset. In other words, handsets would control the rate of data packets to and from the tower, as well as the cell being able to handle traffic differently on a flow by flow basis lowering latency and allowing for more users to use bandwidth simultaneously. Anyways, back to the point...

Leaving circuit-based cell networks at the wayside, and evolving into VoIP over EV-DO would not only be beneficial to things like video telephony, web browser speeds, and increased user capacity on the network... it would give the subscriber the ability to simultaneously use voice and data sessions, because all transmissions would run over the same channels and be IP-based.

Geesh, who is going to want WiFi when everything is said and done anyways? Ha. Or at least we can hope that the big wigs at these companies are making the right calls. We all know that not everyone of them has... but if you look at the big Rev. A players, they're already using VoIP based services over EV-DO... how do you think PTT works for VZW/Alltel? And Sprint, I haven't researched whether or not they're continuing with the idea to roll Nextel users into VoIP PTT, but that's what they originally planned...

Okay, WiFi and EV-DO work at the same time... meaning you can make a phone call and use your data applications (web, email, bbm, etc.) simultaneously. The reason why you're not working on the BIS when connecting to WiFi the first time is probably because you provisioned only on EVDO... I'm assuming you probably need to resend service books while on WiFi and it should work just fine? That's just a guess though.

Hope I didn't make myself sound too dumb, and I hope this clears things up for foggy readers.

-paymentd

PS - Keep in mind the representatives you talk to at the store aren't extensively trained in the devices, so at initial launch most don't know more than the cost of the handset and basic functionality... I wouldn't blame salespeople for not knowing the technical aspect of a BlackBerry... that's what BBOS is for. =]

Device
    Storm2
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGrubz View Post
    Pretty sure most of the regulars on here know 10x more about blackberry than the reps in the store do :lmao:

Many times I've been in a VZW store and taught them a thing or two
    I had a VZW rep at the call center today tell me there is no difference between the screens on the S1 and the S2. I was like :laugh2:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123