Storm 2 review - day 3
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Storm 2 review - day 3

  1. #1
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Liked
    1 times

    Storm 2 review - day 3

    Ok, here's my contribution to BBOS for all the awesome info I've gleaned off the site thus far.

    I upgraded from S1 to S2 Wednesday morning and have now put the phone through it's paces for 2 days. I also talked to Verizon tech support this morning and learned something very useful in my decision on whether to keep the device or trade it in hoping to get the Droid next week.

    First, from a speed standpoint, the S2 is a big improvement over the S1. I'm running a BES setup and the reconciliation speed is noticeably faster. Web browsing is much better, there's much less latency on the device when typing, and in general I'd say it's a big improvement. Whether it's worth the upgrade fee is debatable.

    On the Wi-Fi side, I'd been running wi-fi along w. the radio and hadn't noticed a big speed improvement. Last night, I tried turning off my phone radio just to see what would happen (left wi-fi on) and noticed a huge improvement in speed for emails and surfing, however when I tried calling my device from my home number, it went into voice mail. So this morning I called Verizon tech support and asked them how the wi-fi works. They said that if you're on the Verizon data network (radio on), the device will always surf the web on the Verizon network and not on wi-fi, even if you're connected to a wi-fi network. They said this is standard for any device on Verizon's network...even if it's a wi-fi device, unless you have the phone radio off, it's going to do everything on the Verizon network and not on wi-fi (so keeping your wi-fi on while your phone radio on is kindof pointless). They also said that if you turn off your radio and use strictly wi-fi, you won't get any calls b/c calls always go across their network. You also won't get any text msgs b/c those go only across Verizon's network. In other words, for any Verizon device w. wi-fi, the only way to utilize the wi-fi is to turn off the phone's radio, which means no phone/texting. After hearing this, I asked the Verizon person what the point is of wi-fi and they basically said it's for use when you don't have access to Verizon's data network. I can see using wi-fi at home after-hours while I'm not expecting any phone calls, but otherwise, see very little use for wi-fi.

    I then asked the Verizon person why I wouldn't just trade in the Storm 2 on the Droid and reduce my monthly data fee from the BES level ($45) to the standard data plan ($30) and use the Droid's integration w. my Exchange email system to manage my emails. He looked up the specs on the Droid and informed me that if I use the Droid to access Exchange, they'll still be charging me $45/mo...in other words, the higher-capacity plan at Verizon is Exchange-based, NOT Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) based. That was a big surprise for me and puts a big damper on my hope for using a Droid to reduce my monthly fees.

    Which leads to my conclusion. Would I upgrade from a S1 to a S2 just to get wi-fi...absolutely not (it's only usable when your phone radio is off). Would I upgrade from a S1 to a S2 to improve the functionality/speed of the Storm...only if I was positive the Droid wouldn't do what I need. If you're using Exchange email and want to reduce your monthly data fee w. Verizon by getting rid of BES, you'll be disappointed to find out the monthly fee from Verizon will stay the same.

    So will I keep my S2...I'm 90% sure I will but will reserve judgment until I hold the Droid. The Verizon tech person had used one and said it's very heavy and while not significantly bigger than the S2, it's dimensions are bigger. For me, the S1/S2 is about as big as I want to carry on my belt...I suspect the Droid will be slightly over the threshold I'll be comfortable with. The Droid also weighs .46oz more than the S2, which while not huge, is a noticeable weight gain on a percentage basis (8.4%), especially when it'll be dangling from my belt.

    I use my Berry 80% for email (where email speed/reliability is crucial), 15% for news/stock related stuff, and 5% for phone. Having a bigger screen would be nice, but if I'm going to sacrifice the known reliability of the BES for a Droid, I need to get something in return, and if I'm not going to save money, I think I'll need more than a snazzier screen to make the change.

    Hopefully this'll help someone that's been on the S2/Droid fence like me.




  2. #2
    Le0_Br4zuC4's Avatar
    Le0_Br4zuC4 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Miami
    PIN
    30FB551F
    Device
    BlackBerry Stor
    OS
    5.0.0.320
    Posts
    398
    Liked
    0 times
    WiFi on a CDMA phone will help you receive email, bbm, browse the web while you're on call, if you are in a flight you can't use your phone but most Airline companies are offering WiFi on their flights now a days so that's also a good reason for having a device with WiFi.

    Follow me on Twiter
    [/URL][/CENTER][/SIZE]
    Le0_Br4zUc4 - BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Running 5.0.0.428

  3. #3
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Le0_Br4zuC4 View Post
    WiFi on a CDMA phone will help you receive email, bbm, browse the web while you're on call, if you are in a flight you can't use your phone but most Airline companies are offering WiFi on their flights now a days so that's also a good reason for having a device with WiFi.
    Thanks for clarifying that. The Verizon person mentioned the airplane scenario. I haven't tried surfing the web while on a call, but it sure would be nice to be able to set a default connection of different applications so if you're connected to wi-fi the default for all data apps is wi-fi. Seems like it'd be an easy software fix.

  4. #4
    Le0_Br4zuC4's Avatar
    Le0_Br4zuC4 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Miami
    PIN
    30FB551F
    Device
    BlackBerry Stor
    OS
    5.0.0.320
    Posts
    398
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that. The Verizon person mentioned the airplane scenario. I haven't tried surfing the web while on a call, but it sure would be nice to be able to set a default connection of different applications so if you're connected to wi-fi the default for all data apps is wi-fi. Seems like it'd be an easy software fix.
    Yeah it would be really nice, I would love to browse the web using my WiFi connection all the time when available

    Follow me on Twiter
    [/URL][/CENTER][/SIZE]
    Le0_Br4zUc4 - BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Running 5.0.0.428

  5. #5
    oilman's Avatar
    oilman is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NC
    PIN
    30FD4F5D
    Device
    Storm 2- 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.320
    Posts
    103
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

    I'm gonna have to disagree with the "only the wifi works when the radio is off" statement from vzw. Right now, I'm surfing the web and only the wifi symbol shows up in the top right corner. It clearly is using wifi while my radio is on.

  6. #6
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    Wirelessly posted

    I'm gonna have to disagree with the "only the wifi works when the radio is off" statement from vzw. Right now, I'm surfing the web and only the wifi symbol shows up in the top right corner. It clearly is using wifi while my radio is on.
    Have you turned off your radio? If not, I'd suggest turning it off, leaving wi-fi on, and surfing to the same site...I suspect you'll find the speeds much faster, which suggests that you were initially surfing via Verizon's network.

    I wish it were possible to surf on wi-fi while the radio is on, but having tried it myself last night, I'm 99% sure (until someone can point me to a link confirming otherwise) that if the radio is on, the default data source is the radio.

  7. #7
    Vaffanculo403's Avatar
    Vaffanculo403 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.230
    Posts
    184
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

    In going to the S2 because the screen on the S1 is driving me crazy! I'm on storm #6 because of it...

  8. #8
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    Have you turned off your radio? If not, I'd suggest turning it off, leaving wi-fi on, and surfing to the same site...I suspect you'll find the speeds much faster, which suggests that you were initially surfing via Verizon's network.

    I wish it were possible to surf on wi-fi while the radio is on, but having tried it myself last night, I'm 99% sure (until someone can point me to a link confirming otherwise) that if the radio is on, the default data source is the radio.
    I think I'm going to have to "correct myself"...this paper would appear to support the claim that the Storm 2 uses both wi-fi and radio simultaneously. Can anyone chime on the technical aspects of this b/c I know for a fact that when my radio was off and wi-fi was on, the browsing speeds were noticeably faster.

    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/ataglan...Whitepaper.pdf

  9. #9
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    Have you turned off your radio? If not, I'd suggest turning it off, leaving wi-fi on, and surfing to the same site...I suspect you'll find the speeds much faster, which suggests that you were initially surfing via Verizon's network.

    I wish it were possible to surf on wi-fi while the radio is on, but having tried it myself last night, I'm 99% sure (until someone can point me to a link confirming otherwise) that if the radio is on, the default data source is the radio.
    If you set your browser setting to hotspot browser it will be using the wifi and not VZW data

  10. #10
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    This is a bit off topic, but for anyone who has trouble downloading visual Voicemail (shows a lot of text and no download), you can use 9530 visual Voicemail download link. Here is the Visual Voicemail OTA
    Posted via BlackBerry device

  11. #11
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    If you set your browser setting to hotspot browser it will be using the wifi and not VZW data
    Excellent! Thanks

    Will it default to browsing on the wireless network if not in a wi-fi location or will that require a manual change?

  12. #12
    diverbelow is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vancouver WA
    Device
    9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    82
    Liked
    0 times
    I know when I had my 8120, in options ->advance options ->browser ->Default Browser Config you where able to select from 3 different type of browsers e.g. media net, Internet and Hotspot browser. The Hotspot browser only worked via WiFi. Also, if you find a site that you bookmark and only work on WiFi, then when saving the bookmark, you can select the Hotspot browser.

    What would happen when you select Hotspot browser with your radio on?

  13. #13
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diverbelow View Post
    I know when I had my 8120, in options ->advance options ->browser ->Default Browser Config you where able to select from 3 different type of browsers e.g. media net, Internet and Hotspot browser. The Hotspot browser only worked via WiFi. Also, if you find a site that you bookmark and only work on WiFi, then when saving the bookmark, you can select the Hotspot browser.

    What would happen when you select Hotspot browser with your radio on?
    It should then only connect the browser through available wifi or at least thats how I read it

  14. #14
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    It should then only connect the browser through available wifi or at least thats how I read it
    While we're on the browser topic, is there a way to get Opera installed and set as the default browser? The only available browsers are Blackberry, Firefox, and IE, however as I understand it, Opera is the best choice (for performance) on the Storm.

    BTW, I just changed my default browser to Hotspot, tested it, then turned off wi-fi. When I went back into the browser, it switched over the Blackberry. When I turned wi-fi back on and went back into the browser, it said Hotspot...so you're advice seems to work. Again, thanks for pointing me to the solution...this is a big help!

  15. #15
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    While we're on the browser topic, is there a way to get Opera installed and set as the default browser? The only available browsers are Blackberry, Firefox, and IE, however as I understand it, Opera is the best choice (for performance) on the Storm.

    BTW, I just changed my default browser to Hotspot, tested it, then turned off wi-fi. When I went back into the browser, it switched over the Blackberry. When I turned wi-fi back on and went back into the browser, it said Hotspot...so you're advice seems to work. Again, thanks for pointing me to the solution...this is a big help!
    no problemo my friend.. now your next question makes me go.. I dunno. I konw for a fact there is a setting in opera that you can turn on wifi so I would imagine it wouldnt be your default but you could use the wifi and opera together.

  16. #16
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    no problemo my friend.. now your next question makes me go.. I dunno. I konw for a fact there is a setting in opera that you can turn on wifi so I would imagine it wouldnt be your default but you could use the wifi and opera together.
    I'd be happy if I could just set it so if I click on a browser link inside an email and it goes to the link, it does so using Opera. But then again, I'm coming from a S1 and now know how to set my default browser to run wifi, so I've already made a quantum leap in browser functionality.

  17. #17
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    I'd be happy if I could just set it so if I click on a browser link inside an email and it goes to the link, it does so using Opera. But then again, I'm coming from a S1 and now know how to set my default browser to run wifi, so I've already made a quantum leap in browser functionality.
    LOL this would be something to try(mind you I dont have my S2 yet and I am not sure this would work). Opera 5.0 sets itself as the default browser. Under settings in opera you can turn on the wifi. I would get that all set turn off your radio and see if you can still surf with opera.

  18. #18
    snmemx is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    LOL this would be something to try(mind you I dont have my S2 yet and I am not sure this would work). Opera 5.0 sets itself as the default browser. Under settings in opera you can turn on the wifi. I would get that all set turn off your radio and see if you can still surf with opera.
    Ok, I've installed it...how do I set this thing to be the default browser? (I'm feeling like a guinea pig hear)...

  19. #19
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    Ok, I've installed it...how do I set this thing to be the default browser? (I'm feeling like a guinea pig hear)...
    you cant set it to be default.. opera 5.0 will open links in email though..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •