Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 19

  1. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    Have you turned off your radio? If not, I'd suggest turning it off, leaving wi-fi on, and surfing to the same site...I suspect you'll find the speeds much faster, which suggests that you were initially surfing via Verizon's network.

    I wish it were possible to surf on wi-fi while the radio is on, but having tried it myself last night, I'm 99% sure (until someone can point me to a link confirming otherwise) that if the radio is on, the default data source is the radio.
    If you set your browser setting to hotspot browser it will be using the wifi and not VZW data



  2. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    This is a bit off topic, but for anyone who has trouble downloading visual Voicemail (shows a lot of text and no download), you can use 9530 visual Voicemail download link. Here is the Visual Voicemail OTA
    Posted via BlackBerry device

  3. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    If you set your browser setting to hotspot browser it will be using the wifi and not VZW data
    Excellent! Thanks

    Will it default to browsing on the wireless network if not in a wi-fi location or will that require a manual change?



  4. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vancouver WA
    Device
    9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    82
    I know when I had my 8120, in options ->advance options ->browser ->Default Browser Config you where able to select from 3 different type of browsers e.g. media net, Internet and Hotspot browser. The Hotspot browser only worked via WiFi. Also, if you find a site that you bookmark and only work on WiFi, then when saving the bookmark, you can select the Hotspot browser.

    What would happen when you select Hotspot browser with your radio on?

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Quote Originally Posted by diverbelow View Post
    I know when I had my 8120, in options ->advance options ->browser ->Default Browser Config you where able to select from 3 different type of browsers e.g. media net, Internet and Hotspot browser. The Hotspot browser only worked via WiFi. Also, if you find a site that you bookmark and only work on WiFi, then when saving the bookmark, you can select the Hotspot browser.

    What would happen when you select Hotspot browser with your radio on?
    It should then only connect the browser through available wifi or at least thats how I read it



  6. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    It should then only connect the browser through available wifi or at least thats how I read it
    While we're on the browser topic, is there a way to get Opera installed and set as the default browser? The only available browsers are Blackberry, Firefox, and IE, however as I understand it, Opera is the best choice (for performance) on the Storm.

    BTW, I just changed my default browser to Hotspot, tested it, then turned off wi-fi. When I went back into the browser, it switched over the Blackberry. When I turned wi-fi back on and went back into the browser, it said Hotspot...so you're advice seems to work. Again, thanks for pointing me to the solution...this is a big help!

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Quote Originally Posted by snmemx View Post
    While we're on the browser topic, is there a way to get Opera installed and set as the default browser? The only available browsers are Blackberry, Firefox, and IE, however as I understand it, Opera is the best choice (for performance) on the Storm.

    BTW, I just changed my default browser to Hotspot, tested it, then turned off wi-fi. When I went back into the browser, it switched over the Blackberry. When I turned wi-fi back on and went back into the browser, it said Hotspot...so you're advice seems to work. Again, thanks for pointing me to the solution...this is a big help!
    no problemo my friend.. now your next question makes me go.. I dunno. I konw for a fact there is a setting in opera that you can turn on wifi so I would imagine it wouldnt be your default but you could use the wifi and opera together.

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148 (.132 radio) w BBCM 7.2
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    no problemo my friend.. now your next question makes me go.. I dunno. I konw for a fact there is a setting in opera that you can turn on wifi so I would imagine it wouldnt be your default but you could use the wifi and opera together.
    I'd be happy if I could just set it so if I click on a browser link inside an email and it goes to the link, it does so using Opera. But then again, I'm coming from a S1 and now know how to set my default browser to run wifi, so I've already made a quantum leap in browser functionality.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •