On tour caught in storm 2

Thread: On tour caught in storm 2

Stale Pancake is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

On tour caught in storm 2

Before the Tour released I checked out the Storm (original) and decided not to go for it. Now that the Storm 2 released I went back to check it out.

Why I even thought to get a Storm 2 was a video on YourTube in which the guy is typing on the Storm 2 and saying how great it is for texting. What impressed me is how fast he could accurately type on the Storm 2 with the shared keys. Where Q W share the same key.

I've owned smart phones since the beginning. My own opinion is that once you fully realize the benefits of a smart phone, it's difficult to do without them. The real issue becomes how to type on them accurately and quickly.

I've owned quite a few. From Treo to Blackberry Curve. From iPhone to WinMo, and back to the Blackberry. And then from various Blackberry devices to others. As far as physical keys are concerned, I think the Curve is the best physical keyboard RIM has ever made. When I switched from AT&T to Verizon, Glad I did by the way, I gave up the curve for a Tour. Great phone, but the keyboard is more like my old 8800, which I gave up for a Curve 8310 on AT&T years ago.

So I'm watching that video on YourTube and the guy is typing like greased lighting. I am so impressed that I wait for the Storm 2. After a couple days, I start to understand the Storm 2 keyboard. With only 5 keys across they keys are absolutely huge by mobile phone standards. And with such a large key, they are easy to strike without error. As a result you type faster and more accurately.

I love the SurePress keyboard technology. Now as a former iPhone user, I'll be the first to admit I questioned this technology. I even felt like it was mere a gimmick to try to differentiate RIM from Apple. But I have to tell something about this technology and what makes it so great. You see, I own an Amazon Kindle ebook reader. Every time I pick up the device, I accidentally press the back or forward buttons causing the page to flip in either direction. When I had the iPhone, you had to be very careful with it too. Just touching it could be mistaken as pressing a button and launching an application. Not with the blackberry. Pick it up by the screen if you like. All will be fine. It has the benefits of a touch screen without the hassles of being overly sensitive like a touch screen. SurePress gives you the flexibility you can only get from being able to manage a keyboard on screen. I think this is a brilliant move by RIM.

If you doubt that this screen makes a great keyboard, don't. It does take a little time. Perhaps more so than using a regular touch screen. But there is a great benefit to learning this technology. I go from phone to phone just looking for a better keyboard experience. And after years of searching, I think I found a keyboard I truly love. Seriously, you won't believe how much I spend hopping from phone to phone. And it's always about the keyboard. Blackberry I am sold on. It's been a Blackberry for the last 3 phones in a row. I'm convinced Blackberry is the best phone for business customers such as myself. It's just been about the keyboard for me. I'm one of those guys who spends $140 on a mechanical keyboard for his PC because my favorite keyboard was the original mechanical IBM PC keyboards in mid 80s. Everything else since then is just garbage to me.

Keyboards are the human to device interface. They matter. And since I use them for hours a day, I want perfection. I've given away laptops, such as the MacBook, just because I didn't like how the keyboard felt. I'm a nut when it comes to keyboards.

If you can sell me a keyboard, you're the man. I hate just about all of them. When I shop for laptops, I look at the arrangement of the keys first. Seriously, it's what I look for even before checking the speed or price. It's the first thing I need to know about.

RIM, I'm impressed! And I don't think I've ever actually said that.

I go great with Blackberries.

Hgouck is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    30c778B8
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    6.0.0.446 /w hybrid .499
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

So... Do you like the keyboard?

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Loving this keyboard. Sometimes I type in stock symbols, and I need to get faster at that. I don't have the muscle memory for it just yet, but I'm getting there.

I really had my doubts about SurePress though. I am very pleased with it. I didn't care for it on Storm 1, but on the Storm 2 they nailed it.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    As always Stale very well written :fing02: thank you for taking the time to post!

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    That was very well done. :35:

Thanks for taking the time to post that. You nailed it...

spm903 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    that was a very well written review... by the way if you ever have another laptop you wanna give away let me know i will send you a prepaid label

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stale Pancake View Post
    I've given away laptops, such as the MacBook, just because I didn't like how the keyboard felt. I'm a nut when it comes to keyboards.
    Man, I wish I was YOUR friend... *LOL* If someone gave ME a MacBook, I think i'd absolutely die of heart failure. I've always wanted one, but just cannot justify the expense..... The closest thing I have to a MacBook is a Dell Mini 9 running Leopard 10.5.6

Of course, the Mini 9 seems to be MADE for OS X; as everything works absolutely perfect on it.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I've owned dozens of Macs. Honestly, you'd not like my opinion of Apple at all. My friends seem to want them as well. I typically give away my laptops to friends or colleagues when I upgrade, which is roughly once a year unless I'm in the middle of a project. I just finished a project I had been working on since February. As soon as it is delivered and all is declared perfect, I'll feel okay with ditching my current laptop. Which is nothing special. Actually, I think my Storm 2 cost almost as much as my current laptop. :-)

SilentC is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Liked
    0 times
    great review!

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you.

I'm still excited about this. I just learned the cut, copy & paste. This is so much easier to use than my Tour was. Seriously, it's wicked fast to do things because often they're not tucked away in menus.

The phone app for example. You have 4 larger options once in a phone call. Speaker Phone, Add a person, Mute and Flash. under the basic screen you have other items useful to have during a call. Keypad, Notes, Cal, Contacts, etc.

RIM really nailed this. There is a lot of great features in this phone that are sort of subtle. You just keep running into them as you use it.

Editing text is simple. Tap the screen, and you get this little kind of bar. Like something that holds a cursor in its center with handles on both sides. You just move it around until it's where you need to edit and then start typing.

Let's say you have 3 or 4 words you want to restate entirely. A two-finger tap brings up that copy and paste feature with the two items you can drag. Rather than copy and paste, you can use this to over write. Drag the first item over the left of the text, and the right item over the right side of the text, say something like 4 words to the right. You're basically selecting 4 words as if to copy them, but don't copy. Instead, just start typing away. You'll have deleted all 4 words as you type in something else to replace them.

In other words, it's a lot like a computer now. You have to perhaps see this for yourself, but RIM did some amazing work here in the interface. I am even more impressed.

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Thank you Stale Pancake!!! What a great and truthful review! I feel exactly the same and using storm 2 for me is pleasure!!! I absolutely love it and wish it launched instead of storm1...but now I appreciate way more as well because I got to know storm 1.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    And it's a Blackberry. I thought about the Moto Droid, but I have an Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android, and I am so not impressed with it at all. It feels like linux. A lot of promise without the follow-through. The iPhone was closer to being acceptable, but still nothing can replace the Blackberry. At least for me, as a business user, the BES / Exchange is so perfect. And now RIM got the interface so spot on. The Storm 2 truly ought to be getting much more press.

I guess so many people are consumer-ish. Guys like me go nuts for a business friends anything that actually delivers. It's a rare joy.

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    I hear many stores are now sold out of storm 2...and hopefully vzw will increase advertising as they watch the low return rate!!!

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    I have to agree. I love this Storm. I use the Storm, Storm 2 and Tour daily and the Storm 2 is the best to type on. It's funny though when I go to the original Storm to type its different. Then I some times find myself touching the screen on the Tour to get it to light up. hah. Its all confusing.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, more and more devices are going touch. Just none of them were ever as easy to use as this SurePress or SureType thing where the Q and W are shared. RIM so nailed this feature. The keys are huge and I can type fast and accurate. I'm starting to get used to it now. Muscle memory is kicking in. I've been typing emails on it all morning. By Monday morning the people in the office are going to hear me clicking away at hyper speed. This is going to blow their minds.