OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times

S2 Question (Upgrade Advice)

Okay, here's the question:

Suppose someone meets this criteria:

- Owns S1
    - Loves the way his S1's screen feels; the click is JUST right with just enough tactile feedback - has the reassuring snap of a true hardware button across the entire screen
    - App memory is not an issue, has plenty of apps installed and is sitting at 30.6MB steady; actually plans on uninstalling some rarely-used apps
    - Would most likely NEVER use wifi for the purposes others seem to want to use it for (simulataneous voice and data) - if I am on the phone, I don't WANT to be interrupted
    - Is perfectly happy with the performance of 5.0.0.328
    - Would have to pay full price for an upgrade

My question is, is there ANYTHING about the S2 (taking all of these things into consideration) that would make a full-price upgrade worthwhile? I request that only folks who actually OWN a S2 reply; as I am looking for opinions based on real-world experience, and not what someone read in another thread.

The person I am talking about it myself, and personally I am currently planning on spending my money on the new Motorola Droid when it is released; I am just seeing if there is any reason I should change my mind.

NOTE: the Droid's Exchange Activesync implementation would be a huge PLUS to me.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 10-29-2009 at 11:11 PM.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    IMO, no, its not worth paying the full price for. I love the S2 it really is a nice phone and a solid improvement over S1. But after having the phone for a little bit, no way would I pay for $500 for it

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Dave, I was in same boat until my storm started freezing the click. Like it would not type or click unless I randomly click on screen quite a few times.

Screen. Transitioning to storm 2, at first I felt that my click was same as first storm. As I used it more, it actually felt more and more soft and I cannot tell you how happy I am to have an even click all throughout the screen. No dead corners. Its a weird feeling as I am using very little pressure to type. So I am pleased.

OS. Yes it has bugs, but I feel that it runs better than storm1 .323 did. Just want a leak so my berry weather would update. .

Memory. It really helps the performance and doesn't leak. Plus all the apps and themes I can now load and not worry about them taking up memory.

Overall design. Improvements such as changed location of speaker is a positive change as I would not hear my phone when it was in my purse. The battery door hinges gone is another big things, as my battery door would open every time I put my phone into a pocket or a purse pocket...with storm2 that issue is completely gone. I also love the improved look of integrated keys and darker bezel.

I hope this helps ya. I am happy and this is totally how storm1 should have launched.
    Posted via BlackBerry device

Vaffanculo403 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    You could always buy the phone try it until the MotoDroid comes out and if you don't like it or you're not impressed take it back (you have 30 days) and get the droid

Also, do you know if the droid will sync email with aol and yahoo as easily as the BlackBerry?

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaffanculo403 View Post
    You could always buy the phone try it until the MotoDroid comes out and if you don't like it or you're not impressed take it back (you have 30 days) and get the droid

Also, do you know if the droid will sync email with aol and yahoo as easily as the BlackBerry?
    The Droid will be a nice phone for sure, but no one does email like Blackberry. The Droid will have push for Gmail but for everything else it will be pull

Vaffanculo403 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    The Droid will be a nice phone for sure, but no one does email like Blackberry. The Droid will have push for Gmail but for everything else it will be pull
    Yea that's the killer for me. I have a number of email addresses which I use for different reasons and I like how easily everything syncs with the BB and how easy it is to add an remove addresses on the BB as well

Soulsharter is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    i havenever even heard of the droid

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsharter View Post
    i havenever even heard of the droid
    You can check it out here:
    Android -

HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Liked
    0 times
    The Droid looks pretty impressive with the exception of the keyboard, just my opinion!
    Live Each Day Like You Are Dying!

d_1000 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    ch me
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Willyboy 95xx v2.3
    Liked
    0 times

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
    The Droid looks pretty impressive with the exception of the keyboard, just my opinion!
    No..but if as rumored elsewhere in the forums Verizon upgrading all Storms to Storm 2? , VZW would be willing to upgrade my S1 for nothing come late November, I would probably do it.

However, I would NOT sign a new contract as I want to see what is available next year...

Droid sounds tempting, but I am NOT a Motorola fan, even though their headquarters are really close and they have done amazing USFIRST Robotics projects with our high school..

ROCKS
    Last edited by d_1000; 10-31-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Pain Producer is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    T OF GUINN
    Device
    9550 Storm 2 Verizon
    OS
    5.0.0.607/643 (OOAK)
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73
    IMO, no, its not worth paying the full price for. I love the S2 it really is a nice phone and a solid improvement over S1. But after having the phone for a little bit, no way would I pay for $500 for it
    I agree with jlevy. I got mine from a buddy doing Bogo and we got two Storms 2. Its a great phone but no way worth $600 after tax.
    UPDATE:
    Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
    Verizon Tour (Wife's)

Stale Pancake is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I have an Archos 5 Internet Tablet, which is an Android 1.5 OS based system. It has 800 x 480 in a 5" display. It doesn't have built in Exchange Support. It's not a phone either, but it has virtually everything you see in Android today. Based on that I can tell you it reminds me a lot of the iPhone when it first released.

Both Android 1.5 and the iPhone when it first released had applications such as notes, a calendar, email. But these applications were not aware of Exchange. They are their own little islands onto themselves.

Think about how well the Blackberry actually works with Exchange. You might be taking this for granted, but virtually all other smart phones don't have true interoperability with Exchange beyond simple email.

I also have a Windows Live account for my personal use. Getting Android to understand Live Mail was a bit of a trick, and only in pop3 mode, which constantly thinks mail already read is new.

On the Blackberry, you have Gmail that is darn near instant. You can use AOL, Live Mail, Exchange, etc. RIM does this fantastic job supporting email, which is a very big deal. You'll truly miss this when you see how poorly other phones do. I hate to write this, but most of these phones are more interested in the specs and how it looks in a photo than how it performs in your life.

Blackberry has the alert light. I know, sounds silly, but you don't have to even pick up your blackberry to know if there is a message waiting for you. Just look at the phone.

What about the ingenious holster that tells the phone to go vibrate automatically? You're going to miss that. Other phones are completely dumb compared to the Blackberry. You sound like an Exchange user and nothing works with exchange better than a blackberry. Don't let all this hype fool you. Find someone with an Android and use it for a good while before trading away the best business phone on the planet.
    I go great with Blackberries.

Stale Pancake is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I paid $579 for mine plus tax, and I think it's worth every penny. But I use my phone in my business. I feel it is an essential tool in maintaining my client relationships. It's just one of the fees I pay to be extra productive. I've paid more for a 2 night stay in hotel and that lasted 2 days. I've paid more for a 1st class upgrade and that lasted a mere 6.5 hours. I've paid several times this for a luxury box. My watch cost 7 times as much as my phone and it doesn't even make calls or tell time as well as my blackberry does. $600 is a bargain. Maybe I'm a little twisted there, but I get a lot out of this phone for $600. Heck, my verizon bill is $240 a month. The phone's price is the least of my cost.
    I go great with Blackberries.