Thread: Verizon 9550 Dummy Phone

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times

Verizon 9550 Dummy Phone

There were photos recently showing Best Buy having one of the Verizon 9550 dummy phone. Today I visited a friend of mine at Verizon and low and behold look what they just got in. Sadly only dummy units and not the real device. Either way, I had to have one. With the stores getting their dummy units in, this just adds to the suspicion of the release date of the 28th. I know that dummy units are non working devices but resemble the real deal phone. With that said, I am hoping this "screen" issue I noticed is not present on the real unit.

Click Image for larger size

Noticing the bottom of the screen where the buttons are located, you can see how the level of the screen is not flush with the bottom piece. Thinking it was just a poorly made dummy unit, we checked the others and they all seem to be like that. If you push the end phone call button, the screen goes down even further causing the gap to be even bigger. I'm pretty sure this is because it is not an actual device and is missing the inside components. I bring this up because for the people who never touched one or follow BlackBerry news on the net. When they go to the Verizon store, they will push the screen and notice this issue which could draw away sales. I'm hoping that the people who have had the pleasure of touching and using a real 9550 can jump in and let us know if this is just only on dummy phones and not happen on the real working devices.

sunkast Guest
    I think I know which issue you are talking about. And I think I have a theory about it. If my theory is right, it's a pretty dumb reason.

Le0_Br4zuC4 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    30FB551F
    Device
    BlackBerry Stor
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Can't wait for the BIG day!

Follow me on Twiter
    [/URL][/CENTER][/SIZE]
    Le0_Br4zUc4 - BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Running 5.0.0.428

Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    I think I know which issue you are talking about. And I think I have a theory about it. If my theory is right, it's a pretty dumb reason.

Well, I may be the only one to think this but if they use dummy phones for customers to get a feel of how the device feels and the use of the touch screen, why not make it exactly like the actual device. If I was not a BlackBerry addict and did not follow BlackBerry news on the net and went into a Verizon store and looked and played with the dummy unit..I would walk back out because of that screen issue. They are going to assume that's how it is on the real thing as well. Maybe it is just me, I don't know. Either way, I think they may loose potential customers/sales due that. They need to make it so the screen functions EXACTLY like the real deal, even if it is not a working unit.

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm pretty sure the screen click mechanism in the dummy units works NOTHING like the true piezoelectric screen. I played with a S2 dummy unit at the VZW kiosk at the mall last week, and it almost felt like it used the screen-click mechanism out of a S1 to simulate the click on the non-powered dummy device.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Wyman View Post
    Well, I may be the only one to think this but if they use dummy phones for customers to get a feel of how the device feels and the use of the touch screen, why not make it exactly like the actual device. If I was not a BlackBerry addict and did not follow BlackBerry news on the net and went into a Verizon store and looked and played with the dummy unit..I would walk back out because of that screen issue. They are going to assume that's how it is on the real thing as well. Maybe it is just me, I don't know. Either way, I think they may loose potential customers/sales due that. They need to make it so the screen functions EXACTLY like the real deal, even if it is not a working unit.

Brett, this would make the dummy units prohibitively expensive to produce. I think for a device such as the S2, they need to use actual units to demo the functionality. If they have to lock it up and only bring it out upon request, so be it. But to me, a dummy phone is a bad way to show off a device with unique functionality.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 10-24-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the screen click mechanism in the dummy units works NOTHING like the true piezoelectric screen. I played with a S2 dummy unit at the VZW kiosk at the mall last week, and it almost felt like it used the screen-click mechanism out of a S1 to simulate the click on the non-powered dummy device.

Brett, this would make the dummy units prohibitively expensive to produce. I think for a device such as the S2, they need to use actual units to demo the functionality. If they have to lock it up and only bring it out upon request, so be it. But to me, a dummy phone is a bad way to show off a device with unique functionality.
    I def. agree with you about it being expensive to produce. I just think they should not let customers touch these dummy devices because its going to give them the impression that the screen sucks.

C6StingRay is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow C6StingRay On Twitter
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    If you'll remember, Salmondrin (sp?) noted in several of his S2 videos that when the power was off the screen went "hard" (like an Iphone)....no clicking or movement at all....

If the dummy phones are moving then they obviously are not anything like the actual S2 screen...

I do agree though that an uneducated consumer could walk into Verizon and their first impression be quite disappointing....Are these dummies produced by RIM or Verizon? I'm getting the impression, probably incorrectly, that Verizon is not really concerned with the success of the Storm 2....maybe they are putting their hopes on the Droid and later on the Pre, and just might still be a little ticked off at RIM.....anyone think this is possible?

Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by C6StingRay View Post
    If you'll remember, Salmondrin (sp?) noted in several of his S2 videos that when the power was off the screen went "hard" (like an Iphone)....no clicking or movement at all....

If the dummy phones are moving then they obviously are not anything like the actual S2 screen...

I do agree though that an uneducated consumer could walk into Verizon and their first impression be quite disappointing....Are these dummies produced by RIM or Verizon? I'm getting the impression, probably incorrectly, that Verizon is not really concerned with the success of the Storm 2....maybe they are putting their hopes on the Droid and later on the Pre, and just might still be a little ticked off at RIM.....anyone think this is possible?

I agree with you 100% on that. I do know with the flop of the first Storm and the issues with the Tour, Verizon has been putting more effort into the Android phones. Verizon has been let down by RIM twice with their phones. Android commercials, no Storm 2 commercials. Its pretty obvious.

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    ...and they might secretly be working on that VZW/Apple contract

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    And VZW has no one to blame but themselves. RIM wanted to wait to release the Storm 1 but VZW forced the situation so they could release in time for the holiday shopping season. So really its not RIM who disappointed anyone, it was poor judgement on behalf of VZW.

Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    I agree. RIMs fault with the Tour though.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Wyman View Post
    I agree. RIMs fault with the Tour though.
    that's for sure

Le0_Br4zuC4 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    30FB551F
    Device
    BlackBerry Stor
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post

They will use the actual unit, that's how they always did it, had a couple dummy around the store and 1 actual phone

Follow me on Twiter
    [/URL][/CENTER][/SIZE]
    Le0_Br4zUc4 - BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Running 5.0.0.428

Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Liked
    19 times
    Wirelessly posted (storm 9530)

Dummy phones are so stupid. If I'm looking at a phone I do not want to play with a fake one. I really hope they don't use these in the stores.
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz