Storm 2 insides revealed
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Storm 2 insides revealed

  1. #1
    bbprintz215's Avatar
    bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    5.0.0.975
    Posts
    324
    Liked
    0 times

    Storm 2 insides revealed

    (Image Courtesy of The BlackBerryZone)


    Britishturbo, over at The BlackBerry Zone, has taken a Storm 2 apart and has the pictures to prove it. Included in this tear down is an explanation of the mysterious Piezo Technology. Britishturbo states:
    "So the "secret" of the Storm 2 "click" is in 2 steps...
    Step 1: How does the device know when you've pressed? Well it's quite simple... look close and you'll see that there are 4 regular pcb button pads... The screen sits on top of the "rubber" piece on top of the button, and when you press the screen slightly it closes one of the 4 switches... that's part 1... 4 buttons...

    The secret to what happens lays in the silver pads under the buttons... Well the only way to find out is to flip one over...

    Ta Da!

    The four silver pads are Piezo Discs... Kevin was correct that there was Piezo "somewhere" in the thing... he just didn't know where... But I can tell you that's a Piezo disc..
    So hows it work?

    Quite simple...
    When the Storm 2 senses that you pressed one of the switches, it turns on the power to all 4, yes all 4, of the Piezo Discs... the result is simple... the screen can then move a little more because the Piezo disc actually moves slightly away from the screen...
    But what also happens is your fingers feel the "Haptic Feedback" from the Piezo "snapping" and so it feels like the screen really clicks... when in reality... it barely moves...

    Simple yet ingenious in the application!"

    Those are the words straight from the man who did the tear down.

    As for the screen being solid when the device is powered off, this is not completely true. It can be moved as much as the rubber pads, which you will see below are depressed.

    Without further ado, I give you all the pics.


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)


    (Image Courtesy of The Blackberry Zone)

    Make sure to share your thoughts and opinions on this!


    Last edited by Laney; 09-26-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: correcting berryzone to blackberry zone




  2. #2
    MePascal's Avatar
    MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Posts
    1,977
    Liked
    1 times
    That explanation looks to be spot on. The technology won't last in my opinion. H.I. has far surpassed piezo however this may have been on the drawing table since the inception of the original 95xx devices.

    Thanks bbprintz :fing02:

  3. #3
    Seanren78's Avatar
    Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    9550
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Posts
    2,179
    Liked
    0 times
    Great effort Britishturbo...thanks for sharing with us.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

  4. #4
    bobenhaus is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    9530 (Storm)
    Posts
    11
    Liked
    0 times
    The buttons looks cheap and if colors will rub off over time. hmm?

  5. #5
    Drukan's Avatar
    Drukan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PHX , AZ
    Device
    9530
    OS
    5.0.0.323
    Posts
    288
    Liked
    0 times
    So im curious... theres been all this talk about the NEW hardware in this storm 2... BUT i have yet to hear anything about the actual SCREEN. One of the biggest issues with the Storm was the screens were not sealed and you were "dusted" out in a matter of weeks, months if your lucky. Personally im on # 4 from that issue, and now after 5 months on # 4 i just noticed my first hint of dust in the screen( longest ones made it yet)
    SO... Has there been an improvement to the screen to make sure we never get "dusted"?

  6. #6
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drukan View Post
    So im curious... theres been all this talk about the NEW hardware in this storm 2... BUT i have yet to hear anything about the actual SCREEN. One of the biggest issues with the Storm was the screens were not sealed and you were "dusted" out in a matter of weeks, months if your lucky. Personally im on # 4 from that issue, and now after 5 months on # 4 i just noticed my first hint of dust in the screen( longest ones made it yet)
    SO... Has there been an improvement to the screen to make sure we never get "dusted"?
    There is lots of improvement in this area from what I've read. The gap between the screen and the edge of the housing is practically gone.

  7. #7
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

    Quote Originally Posted by Drukan
    So im curious... theres been all this talk about the NEW hardware in this storm 2... BUT i have yet to hear anything about the actual SCREEN. One of the biggest issues with the Storm was the screens were not sealed and you were "dusted" out in a matter of weeks, months if your lucky. Personally im on # 4 from that issue, and now after 5 months on # 4 i just noticed my first hint of dust in the screen( longest ones made it yet)
    SO... Has there been an improvement to the screen to make sure we never get "dusted"?
    I have not heard about the actual seal, but have read that due to new screen technology, the gap around screen is small to almost non-existent. Many people also mentioned that dust will NOT be an issue. That's also one of my concerns. I really hope that odin will replace the defects of storm.

  8. #8
    bbprintz215's Avatar
    bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    5.0.0.975
    Posts
    324
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    That explanation looks to be spot on. The technology won't last in my opinion. H.I. has far surpassed piezo however this may have been on the drawing table since the inception of the original 95xx devices.

    Thanks bbprintz :fing02:
    Thanks man... I try to hold up the reputation!

  9. #9
    bbprintz215's Avatar
    bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    5.0.0.975
    Posts
    324
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Wirelessly posted



    I have not heard about the actual seal, but have read that due to new screen technology, the gap around screen is small to almost non-existent. Many people also mentioned that dust will NOT be an issue. That's also one of my concerns. I really hope that odin will replace the defects of storm.
    I have heard the same thing, which is basically the gap between the bezel and the screen is much smaller and virtually no room for wiggle

  10. #10
    Drukan's Avatar
    Drukan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PHX , AZ
    Device
    9530
    OS
    5.0.0.323
    Posts
    288
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbprintz215 View Post
    I have heard the same thing, which is basically the gap between the bezel and the screen is much smaller and virtually no room for wiggle
    that sounds like a good start, but again my major concern is the dust issue. I live in AZ... dust is just a part of life in the desesrt!! But i dont want it INSIDE my phone. Im just lookin for some reassurance, ya know, like the iphone claims "hermatically sealed" or whatever. Gimme a buzz word... or something to say that this truly is better..

  11. #11
    bbprintz215's Avatar
    bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    5.0.0.975
    Posts
    324
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Drukan View Post
    that sounds like a good start, but again my major concern is the dust issue. I live in AZ... dust is just a part of life in the desesrt!! But i dont want it INSIDE my phone. Im just lookin for some reassurance, ya know, like the iphone claims "hermatically sealed" or whatever. Gimme a buzz word... or something to say that this truly is better..
    How about we just tell you it is better then the previous Storm From everything I have heard, dust will be much less of an issue then it was on the Storm 1

  12. #12
    Leesh is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    PIN
    305c01f0
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    5.0.0.230
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    when is the launch date for the storm 2??

  13. #13
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leesh View Post
    when is the launch date for the storm 2??
    This year.

  14. #14
    flashinglights is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Device
    Going to be Storm 2
    Posts
    4
    Liked
    0 times
    This dust thing sounds pretty bad. I haven't really heard anything good about the first storm so hopefully they got it all figured out for the S2 and it's a much better device.

  15. #15
    metsfan89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Device
    storm 9530/ tour 9630
    OS
    5.0.0.323/ 5.0.0.230
    Posts
    23
    Liked
    0 times
    will the storm 2 have the option to turn the click screen off or make it so you dont have to click when your pressing something and just be a straight up touch screen?

  16. #16
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan89 View Post
    will the storm 2 have the option to turn the click screen off or make it so you dont have to click when your pressing something and just be a straight up touch screen?
    This will be a touchscreen phone. Nothing I have heard suggests you will be able to turn this off.

  17. #17
    metsfan89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Device
    storm 9530/ tour 9630
    OS
    5.0.0.323/ 5.0.0.230
    Posts
    23
    Liked
    0 times
    oh ok thanks

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •