Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon gives the OK to 5.0.0.212 for the Storm 2

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    Oh, in that case; I think it just has to be packaged with a vendor.xml file for the specific carrier, and placed on the carrier's update server. Of course, the support folks must receive some training on the OS once it is approved, before it can ship.

In other words, if an OS leaks and you have it installed; and subsequently becomes official, there's absolutely no sense in reloading the "offical" package onto your device, as the only thing different is vendor.xml - the OS itself is exactly the same.
    Thanks, that makes perfect sense.

MajikUF is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Storm 9530 Unlocked
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    We just need .230 to leak for the S1 and I won't care what comes out on the S2 because I'll be happy with it. I'm happy with .191 except for the small bugs and lack of camera. LEAK!!

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    Oh, in that case; I think it just has to be packaged with a vendor.xml file for the specific carrier, and placed on the carrier's update server. Of course, the support folks must receive some training on the OS once it is approved, before it can ship.

In other words, if an OS leaks and you have it installed; and subsequently becomes official, there's absolutely no sense in reloading the "offical" package onto your device, as the only thing different is vendor.xml - the OS itself is exactly the same.
    Thanks, that makes perfect sense.
    Thanks Dave. I agree, makes perfect sense here too.

saso07 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    Just ask plz :)
    Device
    Blackberry Storm2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    does anyone know if Verizon will be giving current Storm1 users a deal like AT&T did for the iphone users?

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Sorry to be a buzzkill in this forum of happiness.

But from an extremely well respected source, who has yet to prove us wrong, .212 will not be the OS the Odin is released with. In addition, the release date will be approx. November 6th. The earliest possible date would be October 16th but that is looking very unlikely at the moment.

Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saso07 View Post
    does anyone know if Verizon will be giving current Storm1 users a deal like AT&T did for the iphone users?
    You could always ask them as it gets closer...I am doubtful but you never know.

If sales don't make them happy and there is enough hoopla with current members upset and all, maybe?
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post

But from an extremely well respected source, who has yet to prove us wrong, .212 will not be the OS the Odin is released with. In addition, the release date will be approx. November 6th. The earliest possible date would be October 16th but that is looking very unlikely at the moment.
    Still better (or earlier) than the first release...

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    Still better (or earlier) than the first release...
    Very true!

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73

I heard similar info. Although we always would love the sooner the better, right?

FuzzieBalzonya is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I heard from my uncle, Saggy Balzonya, that the two major retail wharehouses are planning for an October release for their product lineup. Each had an article, again from my uncle Saggy, that was updated as of 9/14 with the same general statement of Oct. Now if its early Nov, then they just have to plug holes on the shelf.
    Last edited by FuzzieBalzonya; 09-15-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Running Apps: Tether, QuickLaunch, Addictive Tower Defense, BerryWeather 2.0, BerryBuzz, Druglord Wars, QuickPull, PBA Bowling 2, BuzzOff, eBay, Facebook, BBOS Alert

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times

Well this will be interesting to see who is right ; ) . Place your bets people. hahah!

headstrong56003 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    307D9B69
    Device
    STORM
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog241 View Post
    This is interesting news... but for those of you "in the know" what does this mean for Storm 1 owners?

What it will mean is that you get to keep using your storm 1 untill the contract is over and you can upgrade, or untill you shell out the $500+ to purchase it out of contract. It really sux but the probability of VZW letting everyone who had a storm 1 out of there contract to get a storm 2 at a discounted price is, well, none.

FuzzieBalzonya is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    You really need to look at the cell industry like the auto industry. You know that next year your "Hoopty 150" is going to be replaced by a 2010 "Hoopty 150" and you can bet its gonna get better MPG. But you need a car today, so you finance it.

Same thing with a cell phone. You put your down payment of $49.99, and you pay the difference in the remaining $450 over the next 12-24 months.

Now you dont go to the dealership and demand that you get the 2010 "Hoopty 150" without having to pay for it, do you? (generaly speaking to everyone)

The good thing going for most Storm users, you pay more than 79.99, so you get to upgrade at 12 months, then you sell you "hoopty phone" on ebay and make back a hundred bones.

I would much rather do the cell phone situation than the car situation, cuz my insurance is A LOT cheaper....

FB
    Running Apps: Tether, QuickLaunch, Addictive Tower Defense, BerryWeather 2.0, BerryBuzz, Druglord Wars, QuickPull, PBA Bowling 2, BuzzOff, eBay, Facebook, BBOS Alert

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzieBalzonya View Post
    You really need to look at the cell industry like the auto industry. You know that next year your "Hoopty 150" is going to be replaced by a 2010 "Hoopty 150" and you can bet its gonna get better MPG. But you need a car today, so you finance it.

Same thing with a cell phone. You put your down payment of $49.99, and you pay the difference in the remaining $450 over the next 12-24 months.

Now you dont go to the dealership and demand that you get the 2010 "Hoopty 150" without having to pay for it, do you? (generaly speaking to everyone)

The good thing going for most Storm users, you pay more than 79.99, so you get to upgrade at 12 months, then you sell you "hoopty phone" on ebay and make back a hundred bones.

I would much rather do the cell phone situation than the car situation, cuz my insurance is A LOT cheaper....

FB

Thats def a good way to look at it!!

Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS View Post
    Thats def a good way to look at it!!
    Yeah, smart thinking...Especially since the Storm is still basically new. At least for the ones who didn't take advantage of it the first time around.

maddog241 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    VZW BB Bold 9650
    OS
    Official 6.0.0.431
    Liked
    2 times
    Maybe I should have worded my question differently. What I was looking for here was info... from those who know ...about what it meant for Storm 1 owners that Verizon has approved a 5.0 OS version for release. Does this indicate that they might be closer to one for the Storm 1 ?

Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog241 View Post
    Maybe I should have worded my question differently. What I was looking for here was info... from those who know ...about what it meant for Storm 1 owners that Verizon has approved a 5.0 OS version for release. Does this indicate that they might be closer to one for the Storm 1 ?
    They are in the works for a solid OS for Storm 1. They may be closer, but the release date is unsure of at this point.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

blackberrymylife is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 953
    OS
    4.7.0.114 hybrid
    Liked
    0 times

JLEVY You are absolutely right. I have seen the storm 2 and I can tell you its past .212. Dont know if there was a .212. I dont have a screenshot of the storm 2 because unfortunately I am running .191 on my storm and haha no camera. Kinda funny actually. I believe the storm 2 I saw was running .224 or .244 cant remember which it was since I only got to see it for a sec and the person with it was in a rush. Like always can choose to believe or choose not to. All up to you. I am not claiming which os its running whether .224 or 244 or even 234 lol I just remember it ended with a 4 and started with 2. But i think it was .244. What im saying is that I didnt see .212 on her phone.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blackberrymylife View Post
    JLEVY You are absolutely right. I have seen the storm 2 and I can tell you its past .212. Dont know if there was a .212. I dont have a screenshot of the storm 2 because unfortunately I am running .191 on my storm and haha no camera. Kinda funny actually. I believe the storm 2 I saw was running .224 or .244 cant remember which it was since I only got to see it for a sec and the person with it was in a rush. Like always can choose to believe or choose not to. All up to you. I am not claiming which os its running whether .224 or 244 or even 234 lol I just remember it ended with a 4 and started with 2. But i think it was .244. What im saying is that I didnt see .212 on her phone.
    Thanks for the post. I am not familiar with all of the OS's for Storm 2 but we have confirmed that .212 does not exist.

blackberrymylife is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 953
    OS
    4.7.0.114 hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the post. I am not familiar with all of the OS's for Storm 2 but we have confirmed that .212 does not exist.
    No problem if I see my source again Il ask her to see the about screen again. And if we are lucky and i get a working camera with my blackberry Il take a picture. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast