Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times

5 reasons to love the Storm 2 over the 1st Storm

video created by Salomdrin hosted on BBOS youtube

The amazing Salomondrin who has provided us with many many videos about new, upcoming phones, has made another one. This time..He provides you guys with five reasons to pick the Storm 2 over the first gen Storm.
    You guys can be updated whenever he has created new videos by following him on twitter and/or youtube.

Alejandro Salomon (salomondrin) on Twitter

YouTube - salomondrin's Channel
    Last edited by Brett Wyman; 09-01-2009 at 01:52 AM.

Bookers is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Bookers On Twitter
    PIN
    scan if barcode is avatar
    Device
    Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Good video! Nice

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Not gonna lie. I don't think I'm going to be a fan of that clicking noise. Sounds to squeeky for me.

yourfriendwayned is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow yourfriendwayned On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Tour < Storm 2

"That's your mind being blown away, BABY"
    Visit www.WJDDesigns.com (Mobile Friendly) for All things Berry,Tech Blogs, and my Recent Theme News!
    Thanks to everyone who has purchased WJD Designs Premium themes YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

yourfriendwayned is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow yourfriendwayned On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS View Post
    Not gonna lie. I don't think I'm going to be a fan of that clicking noise. Sounds to squeeky for me.
    ill sell you some custom made RIM ear plugs now are you game
    Visit www.WJDDesigns.com (Mobile Friendly) for All things Berry,Tech Blogs, and my Recent Theme News!
    Thanks to everyone who has purchased WJD Designs Premium themes YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

catstide is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    what's tha
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    the storm1's background was way cooler :1244:

Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Nice Video....thanks for sharing on this one brett. This brought to light the difference between the two. Storm 1 will unbelievable with just one more leak to fix the camera on 191.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

MRobb is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    "No Pin For You!"
    Device
    The Bold
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I love the way Storm 2 looks as well. But, I still cannot deal with TS. Not a fan.

scotsman88 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    PM me...
    Device
    changes daily...
    OS
    latest and greatest
    Liked
    0 times
    That S2 in the video must be an early Rev, they don't sound that bad currently...but the Vclick will take some getting used to for some ppl...good thing i don't use TS devices often...

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsman88 View Post
    That S2 in the video must be an early Rev, they don't sound that bad currently...but the Vclick will take some getting used to for some ppl...good thing i don't use TS devices often...
    It would be nice to have that option. Ur not tempted to make this your daily device? The new 5.0 OS really turned the Storm into a brand new phone.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    I am wondering if the screen is really that loud or if he has that option turned on... you can make your storm do that now lol...if it is that loud you know that will be something for everyone to have a fit about...lmao

quiet1 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    up
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Stock 5.0.0.320
    Liked
    0 times
    For some reason, the commentary was really funny. The video kicked ass as well. But the commentary had me cracking up, IDk y, maybe i'm :Eyecrazy::laugh2: but I watched it 3x and couldn't stop laughing.

So after watching that video, i really wish i had a time traveling machine cause the S2 look really good, shocked at how much improvement RIM did. Storm 1 was my first ever BB, was waiting for a touchscreen since that's wat my previous WinMo phones were, and after playing with S1 for about a week i was really disappointed at how unfinished the product seemed. But S2 seems like the phone that can keep me with BB.

Thank u soo much for ur videos, they're all great.

scotsman88 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    PM me...
    Device
    changes daily...
    OS
    latest and greatest
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    It would be nice to have that option. Ur not tempted to make this your daily device? The new 5.0 OS really turned the Storm into a brand new phone.
    not tempted at all...my 9700 makes me more then happy :boobies:

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsman88 View Post
    not tempted at all...my 9700 makes me more then happy :boobies:
    Yes that does look like a great phone.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Ill have it the day it comes out no matter what... Storm 2 fan here am I the only TS fan here lol I feel the future will all be touchscreen interface...might as well get used to it

catstide is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    what's tha
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yourfriendwayned View Post
    Ill have it the day it comes out no matter what... Storm 2 fan here am I the only TS fan here lol I feel the future will all be touchscreen interface...might as well get used to it
    same here...trackballs will soon join the sidewheels :22:

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yourfriendwayned View Post
    It's possible but that day is quite a ways away. Biz users who go through 200+ emails a day just don't want a touch screen, yet.

I am a huge lover of Storm, but IMO the Bold is the best BB out there. I would have not even gotten the Storm if it wasn't the fact that AT&T sucks. But they do and so here I am with the Storm and a big fan.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    It's possible but that day is quite a ways away. Biz users who go through 200+ emails a day just don't want a touch screen, yet.

I am a huge lover of Storm, but IMO the Bold is the best BB out there. I would have not even gotten the Storm if it wasn't the fact that AT&T sucks. But they do and so here I am with the Storm and a big fan.
    Check out that video I put on the front of my page www.wjddesigns.com right at the top called "Did you know" thatll blow your mind with how quick technology has overcome us "J" youll like it!

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, i'm going to be the "Captain Buzzkill" of this thread, and come right out and say it....

After running .191 for a couple of days on my Storm, the S2 DOESN'T impress me all that much after watching this video. And although I appreciate his work in making the video, I must disagree with some of Solomondrin's points. But rather than just post this without explaining, i'll touch on each of his points - so I apologize for the long post.

1) LOOKS - okay, I will admit the smaller screen gap and the blended action buttons look slick. But otherwise, the devices look ALMOST identical. Definitely not enough difference to justify upgrading just for the sake of upgrading. Had they thrown in a higher-res screen, or something like AMOLED display tech, then i'd have been impressed. But overall aesthetics of the 2 devices are actually very similar.

2) WiFi - okay, i'll admit this might be important for some folks. But unless Verizon is going to allow us to make calls over WiFi with no minute useage, I personally can't see the point. All I can see is the battery draining quickly. WiFi on the iPhone? Hell yeah, some of the downloads are >300MB - but the largest file i've downloaded on my Storm was 2MB and that took 1 minute over the EVDO network. Like I said though, these are only my opinions.

3) MEMORY - okay, maybe it's good for bragging rights or something, but >100MB free App memory on a BB seems pointless. On the .151 OS and above, memory management seems good enough that it would be safe to let it drop below 10MB app memory. Right now, I have all the apps and games I could ever wish for installed, and my 4.7.0.151 install is sitting at 42.6MB free. That's 42.6MB not doing a whole lot for me. More memory is always better, but it's not worth the price of an upgrade to me for an extra 90MB or so. The additional 1GB of media storage memory is not all that useful to me, either. I've got an 8GB microSD only halfway full.

4) TEXTING - whole test would have been more telling had he used QWERTY instead of SureType. To be honest, it looks like SureType was doing a poor job on the S1, and working correctly on the S2. All I know is, I never have that much trouble texting on my S1 in QWERTY mode, i've never used SureType on my Storm. And I haven't had any trouble with keyboard lag on any OS .151 and above. Now, people's mileage may vary, but i'm stating my experiences. Perhaps the new click mechanism feels better for extended texting, but i'm sending SMS, not writing a novel. Again, just not worth upgrading for (to me)

5) SPEED - OK, he never said what OSes he was running on the respective devices, all he did was go on and on about how much faster the S2 was, while proceeding to endlessly bash the Storm. And guess what? I didn't really discern much of a difference at all. The S1s transition may have ran slightly slower, but it was a fade transition, and not a box transition like the S2; so it was designed to run slower. For a device that supposedly runs the processor at an overclocked speed, the S2 didn't seem to be faster at all. And regarding his .191 comment, .191 runs slightly slower on the S1 than the earlier builds, due to the flick scrolling. So the S2 would probably run slightly slower on a higher build OS as well. I just honestly don't see the speed difference. So again, not worth the upgrade cost. They should have used the Snapdragon *LOL*

6) CAMERA - on 4.7.0.151; my Storms camera works like his S2s does. His S1 must be running 4.7.0.75 for the camera to be as slow as it is. Mine autofocuses in an instant. Running similar software builds, the camera should be identical between the two, I believe they both use the same camera (as does the Curve 8900). Again, I see nothing upgraded here.

Now, having stated the above; I am in no way bashing either Solomondran or the S2 in general. But i've watched the video with my own eyes, and i'm not impressed. Now, to RIM as a company, the S2 is a necessity. Device refreshes are a way of life for all electronic devices. A new version either comes out, or the device dies off. And to have almost a year between the initial device and the refresh is quite a long time. I only wish they'd have used that time to significantly upgrade the entire hardware platform, not just slap a new screen click mechanism on the same LCD panel, and hook it up to the same basic system board with more memory and a wifi chipset. Mobile processor technology has come a long way in the past year, RIM should have updated the chipset. Still, for a new user coming into the world of the touchscreen BB, the S2 is a no-brainer once it comes out. I just urge everyone who owns a S1 to see what our official 5.0 release brings us, before spending alot of money upgrading. It would be too much like buying a new netbook that comes out strictly because the keyboard and trackpad are better yet the other specs are basically the same.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    Okay, i'm going to be the "Captain Buzzkill" of this thread, and come right out and say it....

After running .191 for a couple of days on my Storm, the S2 DOESN'T impress me all that much after watching this video. And although I appreciate his work in making the video, I must disagree with some of Solomondrin's points. But rather than just post this without explaining, i'll touch on each of his points - so I apologize for the long post.

1) LOOKS - okay, I will admit the smaller screen gap and the blended action buttons look slick. But otherwise, the devices look ALMOST identical. Definitely not enough difference to justify upgrading just for the sake of upgrading. Had they thrown in a higher-res screen, or something like AMOLED display tech, then i'd have been impressed. But overall aesthetics of the 2 devices are actually very similar.

2) WiFi - okay, i'll admit this might be important for some folks. But unless Verizon is going to allow us to make calls over WiFi with no minute useage, I personally can't see the point. All I can see is the battery draining quickly. WiFi on the iPhone? Hell yeah, some of the downloads are >300MB - but the largest file i've downloaded on my Storm was 2MB and that took 1 minute over the EVDO network. Like I said though, these are only my opinions.

3) MEMORY - okay, maybe it's good for bragging rights or something, but >100MB free App memory on a BB seems pointless. On the .151 OS and above, memory management seems good enough that it would be safe to let it drop below 10MB app memory. Right now, I have all the apps and games I could ever wish for installed, and my 4.7.0.151 install is sitting at 42.6MB free. That's 42.6MB not doing a whole lot for me. More memory is always better, but it's not worth the price of an upgrade to me for an extra 90MB or so. The additional 1GB of media storage memory is not all that useful to me, either. I've got an 8GB microSD only halfway full.

4) TEXTING - whole test would have been more telling had he used QWERTY instead of SureType. To be honest, it looks like SureType was doing a poor job on the S1, and working correctly on the S2. All I know is, I never have that much trouble texting on my S1 in QWERTY mode, i've never used SureType on my Storm. And I haven't had any trouble with keyboard lag on any OS .151 and above. Now, people's mileage may vary, but i'm stating my experiences. Perhaps the new click mechanism feels better for extended texting, but i'm sending SMS, not writing a novel. Again, just not worth upgrading for (to me)

5) SPEED - OK, he never said what OSes he was running on the respective devices, all he did was go on and on about how much faster the S2 was, while proceeding to endlessly bash the Storm. And guess what? I didn't really discern much of a difference at all. The S1s transition may have ran slightly slower, but it was a fade transition, and not a box transition like the S2; so it was designed to run slower. For a device that supposedly runs the processor at an overclocked speed, the S2 didn't seem to be faster at all. And regarding his .191 comment, .191 runs slightly slower on the S1 than the earlier builds, due to the flick scrolling. So the S2 would probably run slightly slower on a higher build OS as well. I just honestly don't see the speed difference. So again, not worth the upgrade cost. They should have used the Snapdragon *LOL*

6) CAMERA - on 4.7.0.151; my Storms camera works like his S2s does. His S1 must be running 4.7.0.75 for the camera to be as slow as it is. Mine autofocuses in an instant. Running similar software builds, the camera should be identical between the two, I believe they both use the same camera (as does the Curve 8900). Again, I see nothing upgraded here.

Now, having stated the above; I am in no way bashing either Solomondran or the S2 in general. But i've watched the video with my own eyes, and i'm not impressed. Now, to RIM as a company, the S2 is a necessity. Device refreshes are a way of life for all electronic devices. A new version either comes out, or the device dies off. And to have almost a year between the initial device and the refresh is quite a long time. I only wish they'd have used that time to significantly upgrade the entire hardware platform, not just slap a new screen click mechanism on the same LCD panel, and hook it up to the same basic system board with more memory and a wifi chipset. Mobile processor technology has come a long way in the past year, RIM should have updated the chipset. Still, for a new user coming into the world of the touchscreen BB, the S2 is a no-brainer once it comes out. I just urge everyone who owns a S1 to see what our official 5.0 release brings us, before spending alot of money upgrading. It would be too much like buying a new netbook that comes out strictly because the keyboard and trackpad are better yet the other specs are basically the same.
    I agree a lot with you Dave... If my connect wasn't giving me a free S2 the day it drops I would think twice on spending money until I see the reactions vs the S1... I think s1 and s2 will always be close in OS since it needs to be redone and not as Java but a linux base or some other great base... How far can they upgrade without needed to redo the whole system? If they used the same cpu as S1 then why cant they just redo the structure to include the open gl (which processor can do) and video out and all the other goodies.. If they did this it would be an amazing device... Rims already admits to not knowing how to do better memory management and other issues... Granted 5.0 is the Beez Kneez it will still get ran over by other TS devices coming out... All the new OS's that are becoming a standard in devices exceed the S1-S2 granted BB has security locked tight... they wont have anything else shortly to their name... Im not really scared about people hacking my contact list or emails and reading what porn sites im affiliated with, jk? lol

But that doesn't defeat the feeling that I am still anticipating the new S2 like a giggly school girl.. new is new and I can't wait.. plus its a New Berry that needs to be picked

Good points though Dave!
    Last edited by yourfriendwayned; 09-01-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast