Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Storm 2 will have WiFi and be released sooner then you may think

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Tufo View Post
    whats up all? been a little while for me since im in the middle of the ocean right now. sadly to say if this happens i think im done with the Storm. obviously even RIM/VZW see it as inferior and thats why they are rushing to put out a 2nd one already. May end up going to another evil phone. only time will tell. Unless they make it where if you got screwed and bought a Storm they allow you to upgrade for cheap to the Storm 2.

hope everyone is well. i see there have been some changes as far as personnel and their titles. congrats to all!
    Hey Brian good to see you hope all is well.

mule0331 is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow mule0331 On Twitter
    PIN
    3102D902
    Device
    9550 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I still think that I'm gonna hold out until I at least get a chance to see the Tour or better yet the Atlas which is supposed to drop about the same time on VZW before I rush out and get the Storm2. I cant type for #$%& on my Storm as it is now, and I am really missing a keyboard right about now. Not saying the phone doesnt have alot of features that I love, but the typing has been really annoying me as of late. Dont know why now, but it is. Probably started to realize it upon news of the other 2's releases, lol.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rellims View Post
    I think this is a bad PR move on VZWs part unless they offer a sweet upgrade deal for v1 owners. I also think this was carefully planned, possibly to test the BB touch screen market. Two points a) BOGO on the hottest device on the market....really? b) I always wondered why when I'm building themes plasmic has a wifi icon in the stock storm theme?? Coincidence, I think not.
    I wouldnt be suprised to see them do some kind of exchange or upgrade program(we all know about rims but theirs can be well a lil pricey). I think it will be one of those we call in with a problem and this will be an option to upgrade out of our storm 1, kinda like calling in and getting the curve instead

Storm5150 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Storm5150 On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    .713 based Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, I 'm not sure what to make of this, it sounds good and everyone is making some good points. Help me out though, if I remember correctly the current storm was all over the fall airways with a ton of advertising. I want to say it was close to two months during football season I saw commercials before it was released.

I had a dumb phone at that time with a need for a blackberry but not enough to make me rush out an buy one. The storm however was an eye catcher, it was on Verizon which I was currently on and I said "nice phone, I don't need it but I think I might want it" January rolls around and I can upgrade so I do.

My point is if the Storm 2 is going to be released earlier then why am I still seeing commercials for the present storm and not the new one? If the project release date is end of this month or the end of next month it doesn't seem to provide alot of time to promote it. If it is far superior to our current version I do agree with everyone else that the current Storm owners should be allowed to upgrade for a very reasonable amount without having to extend our contracts.

Thankfully we have leaked OS's sir BBCrackman who has made our devices a pleasure to use, Hats off again to all of his work.

DjRicoRich is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    this is crazy!!!

awtryau89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    NA
    Device
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow!!! This is very interesting. I am a GSM user and want one so badly on ATT. Currently using the Storm 1 on ATT on Edge and very happy. Knowing this is probably good information, it make a whole lot more sense as I have a good source at ATT as well.

As you know, living in Atlanta where Cingular's/ATT's main offices are, I live in a neighborhood with a few ATT employees. One is a field tech and always has the latest phones. He looks like batman because he wears so many phones on his belt. He is always testing new models to see how they perform. Anyway, to my point. I showed him my Storm on ATT and he was very familiar with Crackberry and how to make it work on ATT. He told me that he was supposed to be getting a touchscreen Blackberry for testing. He stated that ATT had been in negotiations with RIM to carry one and would release their version before the Holidays like they did the Bold last year. He was trashing the Storm 1 stating that ATTs version would have all the bugs out of it and have Wifi as all their smartphones moving forward would be required to have Wifi. He stated that these were the plans they were hearing but as always, the plans could change based on testing.

Anyway, I am going to have to wait this one out. If Verizon releases it early this summer, they may have a 6 month pre-release agreement. Hopefully we will be hearing some more info about a GSM version before the Verizon release so I am not tempted to by a CDMA version and unlock it.

Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Liked
    19 times
    Wow, this is sucky news for those of us who got the strom 1. I've had this phone for 5 months and now it's already going to be old news. Something just doesn't seem right. I have a hard time believing we will see this by the end of June. Maybe the end of the year.

If they do release it next month, they sure as heck better offer at least a $99 upgrade for current owners.
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

Spidersweb is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    312C58A8
    Device
    Strom 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.607/672
    Liked
    1 times
    Consider this: In my experience with VZW, they have never done anything that was not to their advantage or involving the Big picture. And the Big picture here is recovering from bad choices.

Bad choice #1 The Iphone was first offered to VZW and they turned it down (the old 'that will never fly' type attitude.) So the push was to get out a product that would be an 'Iphone' killer.
    Bad choice #2 Hype up the new BBStorm. And that they did. Had everyone hungry like Homer Simpson. It was suppose to be stable but quite a few good people lost their jobs when the press got a hold of it. Again, thank God for BBOS.
    Bad (?) choice #3 Buy one, Get one. Here starts the Big picture. People are still curious and a lot want to try it for themselves. And let's not forget that there are developers out there fixing our problems for us. Even Reps were given the ok to casually suggest alternative options for upgrades.
    Good 4 them #1 Every Storm comes with a Data plan. Get everyone to have at least two and they make more money.
    Bad choice #4 If you can't beat'em, join'em. Look at all of the new acquisitions and trading of assets. The hope is to get the Iphone back on board. Don't worry about all the problems with the different networks, we'll figure that out later. [Last year VZW allowed Iphone users and others to switch their phone over just to get those customers. It was an IT nightmare.]
    Finally - Upgrades have always played in their favor and this is not going to change now. You just don't get something for nothing. Even if you kick, shout or complain they may give you the Storm2 but it's gonna cost you. It may a line change, a contract extension or just the plain ol' headaches of having a product that is still a work-n-progress.

I4One say: Don't advertize. Give all that money to the hard working people who know what we want and how to get it right.

moosc is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow moosc On Twitter
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I can wait for ODEN to drop. But thank about this with add WiFI what will we loae? Next early release makes sense the pre drops in june for 199$ and a new iphone in july. See the picture all hail to ODEN

Sooner33 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    Ask and I Might Tell
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    .131 + 5.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    great , im so glad they care about the storm 1 users
    BOOMER SOONER

guanuck is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    GUIN
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    hey thanks for the info....any updates on that??
    Have a Telus related question? Just ask!

smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Wow spider
    Nice write up. You touched on a few good points.

I'm not holding my breath though..didn't vzw sell over a million storm V1's?
    Not very likely that we will see any compensation for being a device ginuea pig.
    I think the big picture here is rim told vzw the storm wasn't ready vzw said no get ot ready for Xmas.
    So they did and now ts the whole "well we told you it wasn't ready"
    Bottom line end user taken it from behind without even a thank you or a kiss first.

Can you tell I'm a little upset? Lol
    Bellshare - Premium Blackberry Apps

NJBourne23 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    just ask
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey new to the site, saw it through Crackberry.com...........so do you think that Verizon or RIM will help out the original Storm owners in some way shape or form? Maybe a major discount on the new phone or maybe an even switch?:Eyecrazy: or will they leave us out to dry :crucified:

besides with our data plans why woudl we need the wifi? we get internet anywhere as it is
    Last edited by NJBourne23; 05-19-2009 at 12:39 PM.

freebirds87 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow freebirds87 On Twitter
    PIN
    BALL
    Device
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    So no slide out keyboard? (I'm not upset either way)

Also, what are the specs of this phone? If it's using the same processor, same amount of RAM, and running 5.0, what are the odds that this phone is just going to be another flop?

If all that has changed is 5.0 and no click screen, then I really don't see a point in purchasing this phone. Could we get some more info?

Processor Speed?
    Memory (ram and storage)
    I do believe the 5.0 OS was confirmed?

freebirds87 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow freebirds87 On Twitter
    PIN
    BALL
    Device
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidersweb View Post
    Consider this: In my experience with VZW, they have never done anything that was not to their advantage or involving the Big picture. And the Big picture here is recovering from bad choices.

Bad choice #1 The Iphone was first offered to VZW and they turned it down (the old 'that will never fly' type attitude.) So the push was to get out a product that would be an 'Iphone' killer.
    Bad choice #2 Hype up the new BBStorm. And that they did. Had everyone hungry like Homer Simpson. It was suppose to be stable but quite a few good people lost their jobs when the press got a hold of it. Again, thank God for BBOS.
    Bad (?) choice #3 Buy one, Get one. Here starts the Big picture. People are still curious and a lot want to try it for themselves. And let's not forget that there are developers out there fixing our problems for us. Even Reps were given the ok to casually suggest alternative options for upgrades.
    Good 4 them #1 Every Storm comes with a Data plan. Get everyone to have at least two and they make more money.
    Bad choice #4 If you can't beat'em, join'em. Look at all of the new acquisitions and trading of assets. The hope is to get the Iphone back on board. Don't worry about all the problems with the different networks, we'll figure that out later. [Last year VZW allowed Iphone users and others to switch their phone over just to get those customers. It was an IT nightmare.]
    Finally - Upgrades have always played in their favor and this is not going to change now. You just don't get something for nothing. Even if you kick, shout or complain they may give you the Storm2 but it's gonna cost you. It may a line change, a contract extension or just the plain ol' headaches of having a product that is still a work-n-progress.

I4One say: Don't advertize. Give all that money to the hard working people who know what we want and how to get it right.
    I would like to record another bad choice...

CEO makes a statement back in 2008 they Verizon will join the OHA (Open Handheld Alliance) then Vzw changes their minds and allows T-Mobile to pick up the Android OS. I don't know if any of you have seen the new HTC Magic running the Android 1.5 (cupcake) but it's amazing.

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    Wirelessly posted (via Bold)

NJBourne wellcome to BBOS, thanks for joining us.

Check this out we are making some noise again
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/05/19/storm-2-could-drop-on-verizon-sooner-than-expected/
    BlackBerry by Choice!

marcuswyse is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    BBCrackman v6 w/ .90 .sfi
    Liked
    0 times
    Great article! Wouldn't we see a WIFI symbol on the screen? Do we have an ETA on the documentation for this badboy? Thanks BBOS!

Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by marcuswyse
    Great article! Wouldn't we see a WIFI symbol on the screen? Do we have an ETA on the documentation for this badboy? Thanks BBOS!
    I don't think we would have seen the wifi symbol if he didn't have it turned on. Hope that it does tho. All we can do is guess

Pblakeney is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    9850 & PB
    OS
    Carrier
    VZW
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryOS View Post
    Good question. I will ask her tomorrow.
    For the S1 users there better not be a price at all. Should be an upgrade of minimum value given that this would also be occuring prior to contract end dates and so on. Very depressing until we hear how this will be accomplished. VZW will have to do some serious DAMAGE control and in these times of lost jobs and people having to make decisions about what to spend money on....I don't see an S2 at the top of many priority lists. But I could be wrong......
    P. Blakeney

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

I think it was already confirmed by CX or radio on CB that it WILL have wifi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast