jrclauer is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

BBM problems with upgrade

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but am not new to blackberry so please read and offer any advice you can.

Yesterday, I upgraded from 5.0.0.713 to 5.0.0.1015.......I did this through Blackberry Desktop software after downloading the file from verizon first. I have had nothing but problems since....

Like others, I did lose all my contacts, but was able to restore them by doing a partial restore from the backup where I just restored the address book.

But I am having severe problems with BBM. Right after the update, it works just fine, and then once i do a battery pull, BBM won't load anymore, and tells me a java exception error. Nothing I do seems to fix it. BB Desktop manager said I had another 30Mb in updates that needed to happen, but won't complete them, and BBM is rendered useless.

I've looked all over and haven't found anybody else that has had this issue with BBM. I am certainly open to ideas if anybody has them. Otherwise I guess I'll have to rollback, which would be a shame cuz BBM comes up really quick in 1015, not like 713 where it would delay 10 seconds.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Jerde is online now Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1500 times
    I would rollback and then reupdate. I updated via OTA and the new version works just fine. Sounds like there may have been a hickup in your install.

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

Joe Jerde is online now Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1500 times
    Have you tried updating via OTA? Just make sure to leave your device plugged in.

Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    i'm always hesitant to update OTA, but i guess if i have a strong backup with third party apps before hand i could give it a try.....i just remember having a friend that updated OTA and lost everything and couldn't restore it from the computer cuz he didn't have any backup, so i've always updated through the computer.....

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1500 times
    For sure, I would backup on the computer first before trying the OTA method.

Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm rolling back right now....i have solid backups of data and third party apps on my computer, so i will try OTA if the icon pops up. I really hope it works cuz BBM is so much quicker in 1015......

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1500 times
    Let us know how it goes. And remember to leave your device plugged in to the power when updating via OTA.

Pblakeney is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    9850 & PB
    OS
    Carrier
    VZW
    Liked
    34 times
    I tried updating OTA to see if I had the same issue I had regarding the loss of my address book or repeated one line entry. Even OTA I still have the same issue regarding my address book. One entry listed multiple times.....as in doing the same when I loaded via DM. Does anyone know if RIM or VZ are aware of this sporadic issue?
    P. Blakeney

Device
    9850 & PB
    OS
    Carrier
    VZW
    Liked
    34 times
    I guess there is no interest in following up on this issue???
    P. Blakeney

teostar is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow teostar On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    1015/latest hybrid
    Liked
    9 times
    i had that prob once, all i did was remove bbm using bbmcp and using it to load bbm from a desktop file i store on my pc.

Device
    9850 & PB
    OS
    Carrier
    VZW
    Liked
    34 times
    Thanks, but not to clear on how removing bbm and reloading via desktop file will recover or show the address content file?
    P. Blakeney

Device
    9850 & PB
    OS
    Carrier
    VZW
    Liked
    34 times
    So,
    As of Dec 17th there was no resolution to this issue at other sites like BB directly. So, this was not an issolated issue but much bigger than those on our site. Yet RIM nor VZ have addressed this and the mentioned fix in DM 6.01 did not address it. Even trying free app that backs up data on your phone from Mobimate does not work...

See below...

Re: Storm 9550 Lost Contacts after Update of OS - RIMs "fix" in DM 6.01 does NOT work!Options
    Mark as New

01-18-2011 01:40 PM

So, the last post is December 17th with no resolution. Has there been a fix yet? I know that the Desktop Update did not fix the problem. I am also having a problem with my calendar sync. Outlook syncs to the device, but the device doesn't sync to Outlook. I have check my settings and they are correct. I even changed them so the device overwrote Outllok and that didn't work either. Any help out there?
    P. Blakeney