Thread: Random 9520 Reboot

DanD120 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Random 9520 Reboot

For the last few months I've been using 5.0.0580. Fairly stable and not many reboots. I upgraded to 973. Ever since I've been getting random reboots with the screen saying "keep dog alive" and then going blank and a flashing red LED.
    It then goes through the boot sequence to about 1/2 way and then resets again. It will do this 3 or 4 times until the boot sequence gets to a full restart and then may work for 10 mins or 3 days depending on usage.

Ive done a security wipe, downgraded back to 580 and then back to the carrier recommended 436. Each time security wipe, BBSAK wipe and then re-install.

I cant seem to get rid of this error, even with the phone in a new state with no apps installed.

I'm at a loss how to proceed here. Any ideas or do you think that it may be a hardware issue?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Daniel

joshjamie is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow joshjamie On Twitter
    PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD120 View Post
    For the last few months I've been using 5.0.0580. Fairly stable and not many reboots. I upgraded to 973. Ever since I've been getting random reboots with the screen saying "keep dog alive" and then going blank and a flashing red LED.
    It then goes through the boot sequence to about 1/2 way and then resets again. It will do this 3 or 4 times until the boot sequence gets to a full restart and then may work for 10 mins or 3 days depending on usage.

Ive done a security wipe, downgraded back to 580 and then back to the carrier recommended 436. Each time security wipe, BBSAK wipe and then re-install.

I cant seem to get rid of this error, even with the phone in a new state with no apps installed.

I'm at a loss how to proceed here. Any ideas or do you think that it may be a hardware issue?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Daniel
    Dan,

Have you tried a factory reset through BBSAK?

On BBSAK, under the Misc. tab, bottom button on the left...factory reset. Do that first, then after your BB reloads, do a wipe with BBSAK then reload your OS. This may take care of it.

Device
    Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Is a factory reset different to the security wipe on the phone and then the wipe device in BBSAK? if so then I haven't tried it so i'll give it a go and see how it turns out.
    Thanks for the quick reply... see you in a while so

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Is a factory reset different to the security wipe on the phone and then the wipe device in BBSAK? if so then I haven't tried it so i'll give it a go and see how it turns out.
    Thanks for the quick reply... see you in a while so

Yes, the factory reset in BBSAK is different. It's more thorough than the security wipe on the BB. Do the factory reset through the BBSAK, then wipe through BBSAK

Device
    Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Seems to have worked, if it happens again I might be back for some more advise.
    thanks very much joshjamie

Device
    Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Spoke too soon, as soon as i tried to send the service books to the handset it happened again.

Do you think there's anything else it could be apart from hardware after trying both factory reset and BBSAK wipe?

acme anvil is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    ch me. I must be dreaming.
    Device
    Bell Mobility Storm 9530
    OS
    Changes weekly
    Liked
    0 times
    Is this happening with only the base OS installed or is it happening after you restore your backup and third party apps? Are you shrinking your OS prior to installation? Are you deleting the vendor.xml file?
    Less of of a n00b than yesterday

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    I'm guessing it may be some form of malware. You say it only started to happen after you upgraded your os, right?
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, I tried to post this from my phone but it bricked itself each time I went near the browser. thisis what Ive done since the factory wipe and BBSAK wipe.

1. Downloaded and reinstalled a clean version of 580.
    2. Downloaded and installed new versions of Meterberry, Berryweather and Addonis.
    3. Restored phone book, wifi and calendar entries from a backup from before i started having problems.

Today i figured out if i try to use copy and paste i.e. multitouch on the screen it would reset.

So if I do indeed have some sort of malware, is there anyway to get rid of it?

I cant think of any other way to reset the handset Short of returning the unit for a replacement. Is this sort of error covered under warranty?

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Ok, I tried to post this from my phone but it bricked itself each time I went near the browser. thisis what Ive done since the factory wipe and BBSAK wipe.

1. Downloaded and reinstalled a clean version of 580.
    2. Downloaded and installed new versions of Meterberry, Berryweather and Addonis.
    3. Restored phone book, wifi and calendar entries from a backup from before i started having problems.

Today i figured out if i try to use copy and paste i.e. multitouch on the screen it would reset.

So if I do indeed have some sort of malware, is there anyway to get rid of it?

I cant think of any other way to reset the handset Short of returning the unit for a replacement. Is this sort of error covered under warranty?

When you restored your phone book, did you do it from a previous backup? If so, when you backed up your bb, your backing everything up and you might just be putting it back into your phone.

The reason I think its malware is because you were and are still seeing "keep dog alive" If you have a backup file prior to seeing this, try that one when you reload. If not, you may have to put your address book back one by one

You might try smrtguard, you can find it at www.smrtguard.com. If it is malware, smrtguard has an anti virus program that does work when its run.

When you reset everything, make sure you delete all versions of device software.

Go into control panel, delete programs, and delete all blackberry DEVICE software.

Once thats done, you have to physically remove the loader files....

If your running windows 7, the path is...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files

highlight and delete all files you see.

If running lower than windows 7, the path is...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files

Again, highlight all you see and delete.

Do a factory reset, wipe the device. While your doing this, reload the operating system that you want onto your computer. When ready, reinstall to the BB. REMEMBER, do not unplug the bb from your computer once you start. Also, be sure to remove the vendor xml file
    Last edited by joshjamie; 11-24-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Device
    Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, I'currently doing the above. However with regard to the above do you mean to delete the desktop manager also?
    Also, I Sync my address book to outlook so if I factory wipe, wipe and then restore as outlined above then re sync rather than restore I should be ok with not using a previous restore?

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Ok, I'currently doing the above. However with regard to the above do you mean to delete the desktop manager also?
    Also, I Sync my address book to outlook so if I factory wipe, wipe and then restore as outlined above then re sync rather than restore I should be ok with not using a previous restore?

Do not delete DM, just the device software, and the sync should be safe