Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Device
    Storm 9520
    OS
    Ok, I tried to post this from my phone but it bricked itself each time I went near the browser. thisis what Ive done since the factory wipe and BBSAK wipe.

1. Downloaded and reinstalled a clean version of 580.
    2. Downloaded and installed new versions of Meterberry, Berryweather and Addonis.
    3. Restored phone book, wifi and calendar entries from a backup from before i started having problems.

Today i figured out if i try to use copy and paste i.e. multitouch on the screen it would reset.

So if I do indeed have some sort of malware, is there anyway to get rid of it?

I cant think of any other way to reset the handset Short of returning the unit for a replacement. Is this sort of error covered under warranty?

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD120 View Post
    Ok, I tried to post this from my phone but it bricked itself each time I went near the browser. thisis what Ive done since the factory wipe and BBSAK wipe.

1. Downloaded and reinstalled a clean version of 580.
    2. Downloaded and installed new versions of Meterberry, Berryweather and Addonis.
    3. Restored phone book, wifi and calendar entries from a backup from before i started having problems.

Today i figured out if i try to use copy and paste i.e. multitouch on the screen it would reset.

So if I do indeed have some sort of malware, is there anyway to get rid of it?

I cant think of any other way to reset the handset Short of returning the unit for a replacement. Is this sort of error covered under warranty?

When you restored your phone book, did you do it from a previous backup? If so, when you backed up your bb, your backing everything up and you might just be putting it back into your phone.

The reason I think its malware is because you were and are still seeing "keep dog alive" If you have a backup file prior to seeing this, try that one when you reload. If not, you may have to put your address book back one by one

You might try smrtguard, you can find it at www.smrtguard.com. If it is malware, smrtguard has an anti virus program that does work when its run.

When you reset everything, make sure you delete all versions of device software.

Go into control panel, delete programs, and delete all blackberry DEVICE software.

Once thats done, you have to physically remove the loader files....

If your running windows 7, the path is...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files

highlight and delete all files you see.

If running lower than windows 7, the path is...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files

Again, highlight all you see and delete.

Do a factory reset, wipe the device. While your doing this, reload the operating system that you want onto your computer. When ready, reinstall to the BB. REMEMBER, do not unplug the bb from your computer once you start. Also, be sure to remove the vendor xml file
    Last edited by joshjamie; 11-24-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Device
    Storm 9520
    OS
    Ok, I'currently doing the above. However with regard to the above do you mean to delete the desktop manager also?
    Also, I Sync my address book to outlook so if I factory wipe, wipe and then restore as outlined above then re sync rather than restore I should be ok with not using a previous restore?

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD120 View Post
    Ok, I'currently doing the above. However with regard to the above do you mean to delete the desktop manager also?
    Also, I Sync my address book to outlook so if I factory wipe, wipe and then restore as outlined above then re sync rather than restore I should be ok with not using a previous restore?

Do not delete DM, just the device software, and the sync should be safe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12