Thread: Caller ID Issue

neil154 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times

Caller ID Issue

I have a Storm 2 (Verizon) and the caller ID works fine if the phone number calling does not have an extension. If my contact has a number and then a wait with an extension then the caller ID does not work correctly and only shows the number calling and not the name of the person.
    Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

joshjamie is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow joshjamie On Twitter
    PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Are you using the pause option in the contact profile?

If they are calling you then it's because they are using a common outside line and not the number you were given.
    Last edited by joshjamie; 10-06-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    In the contact I am using the wait which is a "W" and I can see the number they are calling on and it is the number I have in my contact list. It has nothing to do with a common line since I tried this with my own home number. If I call from my home phone and my contact list has no extension it works fine but if I put a "W" and an extension number the caller id just shows the number without any name.

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by neil154 View Post
    In the contact I am using the wait which is a "W" and I can see the number they are calling on and it is the number I have in my contact list. It has nothing to do with a common line since I tried this with my own home number. If I call from my home phone and my contact list has no extension it works fine but if I put a "W" and an extension number the caller id just shows the number without any name.

Do you have a "P" as well as a "W" option?

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    I had just a "W" but I just tried having a "P" in addition and it did not make any difference. The issue is just the same

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by neil154 View Post
    I had just a "W" but I just tried having a "P" in addition and it did not make any difference. The issue is just the same

Strange. Let me play around with it and see if I can duplicate it. Will get back to you

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks, I can use the help.

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joshjamie View Post
    Strange. Let me play around with it and see if I can duplicate it. Will get back to you
    Ok Neil, heres what I found...I did duplicated the problem b playing with the wait / pause options and finding something out through a friend at RIM. My contacts were also associated with bb messenger. I'm not sure if this is the reason why this happened but he says it has something to do with it. After I tried to fix it and couldn't, I just reloaded the os and everything now works fine again. The only thing I did not do is associate contacts with bb messenger.

You can try this to see if it resolves your issue. A slight pain in the *** but it only took about an hour with a good backup.

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times

Caller ID Issue

Thanks for all the time you spent to try and help me.

I don't use bb messenger at all and none of my contacts are associated with messenger. Therefore, I don't know what to do at this point but if you have suggestion I would be interested.

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    I would try reloading the os. Whatever happened in your contact list should be corrected.
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times

Caller ID Issue

First, let me make sure I understand how the caller ID is working for you now. If you have the phone number in your contact as (555) 555-5555 W 123 you are saying that when that number calls you on the Storm2 the caller ID shows both the name and number. Is that correct and also you do not have that same telephone number listed in the contacts without the "W 123"?

If that is the case, what is the procedure for reloading the OS without losing my thrid party apps and all of my custom settings for all apps?

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Follow the link below for an excellent tutorial on how to reload your os. It also goes through backing your bb up. As for 3rd party apps, I have always reloaded them individually. I might alos suggest downloading Smrtguard before you do anything. It's a free app that will allow you to backup your contacts, emails, phone log and calendars. Make sure you do a full backup with Smrtguard. You can find this at Mobile Security & Wireless Backup for Smartphones - SmrtGuard. When you reload the os, download smrtgurad again and do a full restore.

The tutorial can be found at

http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...es-videos.html

As for your question, yes, anyone that calls me with an extension or if I call them, comes up with they're name and number....after I reloaded the os.

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times

Caller ID Issue

Thanks for your help and the suggestion to use smrtguard (I already have it loaded but would not have thought to use it for the purpose you suggested).

Final question is what OS version do you have on your Storm 2 (is it 5.0.0.713)?

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Well I guess I lied because it was not my last question.

Why are you not using the latest OS version and what features or fixes will I not have if I use 517?

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    I just switched to the Storm 2 (work bb) 2 weeks ago and am still playing with it. So far I'm happy with the official os but will start playing with the hybrids soon. As for functionality, you shouldn't notice much of a difference, if any at all. I'm still using my bb so thats one of the reasons I haven't really started playing with the storm 2 as of yet.

To date, the only issue I've had is memory drain, and I've traced that to some themes I use. Once I got one I like, then my memory has become stable.
    Last edited by joshjamie; 10-07-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Well I get more confused the more we talk

I thought .713 is the official release for the Storm 2 (Verizon). I only have the Storm for a short period and I am pretty sure it came with .713 so I assume it is the official OS, please advise.

I don't understand your comment about playing with hybrids. What is a hybrid OS? Also, I don't understand memory drain. I only have 3 themes installed and have not noticed any problem but I do not know what to look for. How does a theme cause memory drain?

Again, thank you for the advise.

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    The Storm for work is not new. I inherited it. Hybrids are OS's that have been taken by hybrid magician's and modified to make the OS even better. Highly recommended. Memory drain is where a theme or an app will continuously drain your memory until you have to do a reboot. It was very common early with the storm series but it has gotten better as time has gone by. The hybrid OS's have pretty much eliminated this issue.

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Where can I find a hybrid OS and what one would you recommend. If I want to stick with official OS would you still recommned .713 or would you recommend -517?

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Neil,

With the storm 2, I don't have enough experience on it yet to suggest otherwise. However, with that said and my experience with the storm 1, I would suggest using the 713 as a base and using a hybrid from Lyricidal. Without a doubt, he has to be one of the best hybrid makers out there and all of his builds are solid.

You can find his work following this link...

95x0 - .962 Hybrid - Downloads - BBHybrids Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast