Device
    9850/9930
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    20 times

OS v5.0.0.973 Leaked For BlackBerry Storm2 9520

BlackBerry Storm2 9520 owners rejoice! Finally a new leak after feeling a bit neglected. The official OS has been .741, now all you Storm2 9520 owners can now update to .973.

Download Storm2 9520 OS 5.0.0.973 from:

Warning: Please remember that this IS NOT an official release OS. If you wish to install this OS keep in mind that this may cause your phone to not function correctly. BlackberryOS and any other BlackberryOS Official sites are not responsible. If you are not comfortable and/or unsure as how to upgrade to this OS, please click the link below.

@horangi7

RobinM is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow RobinM On Twitter
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    This is a DRM release... i.e. Works on Vodafone Storm 2's!

Storm 9520 v5.0.0.973 :hail:http://ewites.com/ubbthreads/images/...efault/nwl.gif
    Ya canny beat a good leak! :fing02:

Atomic.18 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Ask me.
    Device
    Storm2 952
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    DOWNLOADING NOW! will post.. FINDINGS IN A BIT:haha: mfg:

Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic.18 View Post
    Lets people recognize me as a loyal helper .741nondrm
    If you have a nodrm phone, then this will not work for you, sorry. DRM ONLY.
    Storm 9520 v5.0.0.973 :hail:http://ewites.com/ubbthreads/images/...efault/nwl.gif

neil154 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times

OS Upgrade

I have a problem with the Storm 2 call quality, get a buzz randomly. I am told it is a .741 OS problem so I am interested in upgrading. My phone is a Storm 2 (9550) from Verizon. I do not know what a DRM is and would like to know about it and if the upgrade would work on my phone.

Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    DRM stands for "digital rights management"

In answer to compatibility:-

1. Your phone is a nodrm device - So NO, it would not work.
    2. The 9520 is a different phone (GSM coding) to your 9550 (CDMA) so a 2nd NO.

So, sorry you are 'goosed' on both accounts. - It is not going to happen.

You could use the applications, but that would have no effect on your present issue with call quality, as ultimately that coding (radio) is held in the operating system. :17:

I would suggest maybe a hybrid of lyrical's that uses an older operating system.

Even if you had a nodrm 9520's, you would still be in the same boat. mfg:

We are happy because this is the first ever 'leak' that us Vodafone 9520 DRM crew have ever had.
    Last edited by RobinM; 09-30-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times

OS Upgrade

Thanks for the quick response. What is DRM or nonDRM? Also, do you think that the new OS will be released for a 9550?

Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by neil154 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. What is DRM or nonDRM? Also, do you think that the new OS will be released for a 9550?
    I really don't know about VZN as a company, but as Vodafone as the only people in the world that use DRM, then all you need is a leak or another 9550 seller to release an official.

OK for the DRM explaination....

I can't find the better version I wrote a long while ago, but here is a short explanation:-
    (ho, ho, ho - enjoy!)

The Storm2 is a DRM handset, where Vodafone has decided to apply DRM encryption to the OS itself (most other companies have not). If we compare the O2 release with the VF release of .497, here are the file names (ignore the O2 and Vodafone bits)

9520AllLang_PBr5.0.0_rel834_PL4.2.0.220_A5.0.0.497 _Vodafone_UK.exe

9520_omanodrmjAllLang_PBr5.0.0_rel834_PL4.2.0.220_A5.0.0.497_O2 _UK.exe

Any official or leak that is nodrm will be completely ignored by Desktop Manager where Vodafone is involved, however it will install fine on everyone else's handset that does not enforce DRM . This function is activated at the time of manufacture. The DRM encryption is applied to the sfi file itself (the operating system) so it is impossible to get around. (unless you can get the author to give you the decryption sequence/key!) It serves no other purpose than to stop VF users using other releases by other companies.

P.S. The term DRM was originally known to secure media, it is now used in a number of different applications other than media now.

DRM - Digital Rights Management (explained in other instances)

Meaning of DRM - "Digital Rights Management", is a system of solutions created or designed as a means to control the unauthorized duplication and illegal distribution of copyrighted digital media. Once the Internet started becoming popular and widely used, it was extremely easy for pirates to copy and illegally sell a variety of marketed digital media and products. Therefore, DRM technology was created for the publishers of these works as a means to stop the illegal reproduction and distribution of their products.

DRM technology was first introduced in the late 1990s but was not widely used by consumers because the software was very complicated and overwhelming for the average person. Since that time, software vendors have designed several DRM tools and some have been successful but some have not. Although the vast majority of DRM tools have been designed to protect copyrighted creative works or intellectual property, vendors have created DRM’s for other reasons such as protecting an entire pc system.

As of today, DRM technology is still evolving. Vendors are currently working on DRM tools that will restrict access to eBooks. There are several popular DRM’s available for purchase that offer protection for copyrighted games, music and videos. As with most products available for mass distribution, DRM technology has had many opponents and supporters. State, federal and non-US laws dealing with DRM have been introduced and some have passed and put into affect. The majority of these laws, whether still pending or already in affect, call for DRM technology installation on all computer systems for control and protection of digital media. The creative and design process continues as vendors continually strive to come up with new DRM technology that will work and sell better than the tools currently available.

Other Related Definitions:
    “…Windows Media digital rights management (DRM) is a proven platform to protect and securely deliver content for playback on a computer, portable device, or network device. It's flexible to support a range of business models from single downloads or physical format delivery.” [Microsoft]

“…The premise behind DRM is relatively simple: An individual is given rights to a piece of content based on certain conditions. For instance, you may be allowed to view a file once, view a file for a set period of time, or view a file on a particular machine or device. The content, if stored locally on a user's machine, is usually encrypted so it cannot be accessed without the proper authentication or electronic key." [Jason Meserve –Network World, 04/10/03

“…DRM software lets companies enforce security policies for documents, such as who can read, edit, print, and forward sensitive information. Encryption technologies are typically used. “ [George Hume – FinanceTech.com, 02/16/05]

“…Digital Rights Management: A system for authorizing the viewing or playback of copyrighted material on a user's computer or digital music player. DRM has centered around copyrighted music, with Apple's FairPlay and Microsoft's Windows Digital Rights Manager being the two predominant DRM systems. Video DRM is on the horizon as broadband Internet and more highly compressed video formats take hold.” [Answers.com]

“…Digital Rights Management (DRM) is one of the largest challenges facing content owners as more and more content is distributed digitally. In the traditional methods of distributing hard copy documents, pictures, music, or films, the owners' rights were copyrighted. Recipients of this content understood the procedures to duplicate the content. In today's digital world, this content is distributed electronically across the Internet, intranets, and extranets to thousands or millions of end-users, with copyright laws being breached daily as these files are copied at will.” [Hewlett-Packard, 08/15/05]

“…DRM is technology that allows a publisher to protect copyrighted material such as eBooks by defining the abilities or "rights." These rights determine what users can to do with the eBooks (like opening, copying, printing). This technology is intended to protect the works of authors by controlling the distribution of their content to authorized users. By using DRM, publishers and authors are able to offer books electronically where they may not have done so without it.” [Adobe Systems, Inc. – Adobe Reader software

“…Digital rights management, or DRM, is an attempt to maintain "remote control" over digital content.” [Mark Stamp – ExtremeTech.com, 05/01/03]

“…DRM systems take two approaches to securing content. The first is "containment," an approach where the content is encrypted in a shell so that it can only be accessed by authorized users. The second is "marking," the practice of placing a watermark, flag, or an electronic tag on content as a signal to a device that the media is copy protected.” [Cisco Systems, Inc.]
    Last edited by RobinM; 09-30-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: editing

Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Again, thanks for the explanation. I think I am glad you couldn't find the long version (:

Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    1 times

Atomic.18 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Ask me.
    Device
    Storm2 952
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic.18 View Post
    DOWNLOADING NOW! will post.. FINDINGS IN A BIT:haha: mfg:
    THIS REALLY SUCKS!! this will not load on to my 9520 UK-T-Mobile storm2.

I've tired everything gosh. i guess ill be waiting on the non drm version

Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    You can do allot of good in new builds, in this one the have done BAD!

awill300 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    OS
    Hybrid
    Liked
    5 times
    ok gents, what are the pros and cons about this leak?