Bastard Child?

Thread: Bastard Child?

hikenstick is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Bastard Child?

Ever get the impression that Storm/Storm2 are becoming the forgotten children?
    Seems Big Red is dragging feet on official OS upgrades. Giant Google who must have a couple of programmers, doesn't have time to write code for Google Mobile App for Storms (all other BB's are covered). We must have been bypassed for Droids, Ipads, and whatever else is "cutting edge."

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    no no, they just need more time since they want to make it MORE than perfect for us

Mustang02 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    30F7ADA8
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    We don't need any major updates so they can take their time. The s2 is far superior to the original storm.

Striker951 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.451\V6
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang02 View Post
    We don't need any major updates so they can take their time. The s2 is far superior to the original storm.
    Yes we do. The leaks and hybrids are far superior to the official software they are providing.

xpbr2000 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    316A810A
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Google maps storm version

Quote Originally Posted by hikenstick View Post
    Giant Google who must have a couple of programmers, doesn't have time to write code for Google Mobile App for Storms (all other BB's are covered). We must have been bypassed for Droids, Ipads, and whatever else is "cutting edge."
    As far as google maps, I have the storm version on my 9550. It works great. You cant download the one from m.google.com/maps. for Storm version goto m.google.com/gmm . I forgot where i read that.
    9530 -.75- .148- .191- .230- .323- .328- .328/351- BBC's v10 .328 Base
    9550 5.0.0.320 - .428 - .517 - .607- back to .517, .713
    is my favorite place to be!

RobinM is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow RobinM On Twitter
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Google maps isn't that good... in full screen you can't move the map about with your finger, but in compatibility mode you can.

Secondly the GPS location on the map is pretty poor, being anything up to a three quarters of a mile off, where the native 'maps' program is so accurate, it can tell me not just the street name but also which house number I am in!
    Last edited by RobinM; 01-29-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Storm 9520 v5.0.0.973 :hail:http://ewites.com/ubbthreads/images/...efault/nwl.gif
    Ya canny beat a good leak! :fing02:

tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinM View Post
    Google maps isn't that good... in full screen you can't move the map about with your finger, but in compatibility mode you can.

Secondly the GPS location on the map is pretty poor, being anything up to a three quarters of a mile off, where the native 'maps' program is so accurate, it can tell me not just the street name but also which house number I am in!
    First of all, you def have the wrong version. Uninstall the google maps you have then go to this link to install the correct one...

Http://m.google.com/maps

It works great and no compatibility mode required. The GPS on the Storm 2 is much faster then the Storm 1...most likely because of software. I'm not sure the the harware is different than the Storm 1. Google Maps is very accurate and is 1000 times better than BB Maps. Try this before passing judgment. Google Maps is accurate between 2 to 6 meters. If GPS is unavailable then it will use cell phone triangulation.

Give this a whirl. :-)

fratts is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    311c188d
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    LOL, if you feel the 9500 series are the forgotten child, how do you think us Tour owners feel. We had to wait months for an updated leak while we were sitting around watching all the other devices getting official releases and what not. All I gotta say, is be glad you didnt sign your life away for three years with a device that is likely to be obsolete whenver the Tour 2 finally gets launched.

xpbr2000 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    316A810A
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tank244 View Post
    First of all, you def have the wrong version. Uninstall the google maps you have then go to this link to install the correct one...

Http://m.google.com/maps

It works great and no compatibility mode required. The GPS on the Storm 2 is much faster then the Storm 1...most likely because of software. I'm not sure the the harware is different than the Storm 1. Google Maps is very accurate and is 1000 times better than BB Maps. Try this before passing judgment. Google Maps is accurate between 2 to 6 meters. If GPS is unavailable then it will use cell phone triangulation.

Give this a whirl. :-)
    I never got the storm version from http://m.google.com/maps . only the trackball version.
    but from http://m.google.com/gmm is where my storm version come from....??
    If the first doesn't work for you then try the second. That what i had to do.
    Last edited by xpbr2000; 02-02-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    9530 -.75- .148- .191- .230- .323- .328- .328/351- BBC's v10 .328 Base
    9550 5.0.0.320 - .428 - .517 - .607- back to .517, .713
    is my favorite place to be!